SAM RAIMI

Started by modage, June 22, 2003, 10:03:55 PM

modage

in desperate need of a forum.  lets reflect....

-THE EVIL DEAD
-THE EVIL DEAD II: DEAD BY DAWN
-DARKMAN
-ARMY OF DARKNESS
-THE QUICK AND THE DEAD
-A SIMPLE PLAN
-FOR LOVE OF THE GAME
-THE GIFT
-SPIDERMAN

thats a varied career.  plus he used to share an apartment with the Coen Brothers, and went to school with Bruce Campbell.  he's cool in my book. :yabbse-thumbup:  if anyone else has read the BC autobiography If Chins Could Kill, there are some great Sam stories in there.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pas

He's defienitly one of the most varied director I can think of. Not a BIG fan of his movies, but I like the guy.

modage

i've actually always loved him.  before i even knew who he was.  my dad took me to see Darkman in the theatre, (after he went to see it first, to make sure it was appropriate), i was 8 at the time.  i loved it and watched it tons of times on video.  when i was in 5th or 6th grade, my friends and i discovered Army Of Darkness when it came to video and it became a cult hit.  we would rent it constantly and watch it over and over.  it was so funny and good.  even different groups of friends found out about it, so whenever i would go to somebodys house THEY would have it too and i'd end up watching it again.  word travels fast when youre young.  it wasnt till a few years later that my dad told me about Evil Dead and i watched it one halloween, before becoming obsessed with it.  this was when it was still out of print.  and i can still remember when they put them BACK IN PRINT, part 2 came out first and then one.  and i quickly bought them.  saw the others and didnt love them, but was excited when i heard he was doing Spider-Man, especially since he is a huge fan of the comic.  and i loved the movie.  cant wait for the sequel.  Alfred Molina as Doc Oc, interesting.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

xerxes

i'm not really a big fan of him... never really liked the evil dead series, and it was quite shocking how bad the direction on spiderman was. plus when i talked to him on the set of that aforementioned movie, he wasn't too nice.

MacGuffin

Quote from: themodernage02if anyone else has read the BC autobiography If Chins Could Kill, there are some great Sam stories in there.

Also has some great Sam stories.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

oakmanc234

I love the 'Evil Dead' trilogy. 'Darkman' is great. 'Spider-Man' is cool. 'A Simple Plan' is under-rated.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

modage

Quote from: xerxesi'm not really a big fan of him... never really liked the evil dead series, and it was quite shocking how bad the direction on spiderman was. plus when i talked to him on the set of that aforementioned movie, he wasn't too nice.

you were a big enough fan to want to talk to him.  seems like someones a little bitter... 8)

what was shocking about the direction of that?  do you think you could have handled that pressure better?  how can anyone not like the evil dead?

xerxes

i was just on the set and he was around so i decided to talk to him

chainsmoking insomniac

I can't say I'm a huge fan...thought Evil Dead was fucking funny...didn't see Spider Man and have no real desire to.  I have yet to watch A Simple Plan, but I really want to.  That has Ol' B.B. Thornton in it, right???
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

cowboykurtis

i met sam yesterday on the sony lot. he was outside of a stage taking a break from shooting spider man 2 -- i was happy to say the least.
...your excuses are your own...

Sleuth

Quote from: punchdrunk23I can't say I'm a huge fan...thought Evil Dead was fucking funny...didn't see Spider Man and have no real desire to.  I have yet to watch A Simple Plan, but I really want to.  That has Ol' B.B. Thornton in it, right???

yes

Quote from: cowboykurtisi met sam yesterday on the sony lot. he was outside of a stage taking a break from shooting spider man 2 -- i was happy to say the least.

please elaborate
I like to hug dogs

Cecil

i am a fan of his. well, of evil dead. spider-man was also very good

Steve McQueen's ghost

Evil Dead 2 Dead By dawn was INCREDIBLE!!!! What he did with a tiny budget was simply amazing!!!!!!! The most visually stunning film I have ever seen.

SHAFTR

Not a fan and I think he is over-rated.  A Simple Plan was top notch.  I've only seen Evil Dead and Army of Darkness.  I thought Army of Darkness was horrible; Evil Dead was fun but nothing more.  Spider-man is a typical Hollywood Film.

I'll give you varied, but not much else.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Raikus

He's a great director. He can take bad scripts and bad stories and make them interesting and cool. I love the Evil Dead series, but I think everyone can agree they weren't fascinating plots. What made them great were two things: 1) Bruce Campell; 2) Sam Raimi's style.

He's introduced shots into the director's vocabulary that didn't exist before. Now they're the standard when trying to convey suspense. He took Spider-Man (a real crap script) and turned it into the hugest blockbuster of all time. He's got the gift of glossing over a movie for those who like to overanalyze and just make it fun. There are no critical plusses for a movie like Army of Darkness, but it doesn't stop it from being one of the most enjoyable movies for me to watch.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.