I have pictures too

Started by pete, January 15, 2006, 12:17:42 PM

bonanzataz

i like a bunch of the black and white ones, because they make me feel like diane arbus is still alive.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

pete

funny you mention arbus, 'cause when I was in Taiwan, I took like dozens of pictures of retarded people--my grandfather runs/ owns a school for retarded people.  but I dunno, I have not developed any of them yet and I don't know when is the next time I'll be able to access the dark room, if ever again.  I don't like arbus though, I think she's too obvious.  I like Garry Winnagrand quite a lot.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

©brad

i guess it's okay to refer to the mentally challenged as "retarded people" in taiwan?

:yabbse-grin:

pete

actually, funny you mentioned that, 'cause a while ago I posted this video of my graduation on this here xixax.  In the video I went up there for my diploma, pranced, and performed this pratfall that had my buddy who was taping laughing really hard and in the video he was laughing and he said "you're a retard."  I went back to Taiwan and showed the staff there the video, forgetting about the comment in the end and it was really awkward 'cause everyone was laughing until the guy said that, and the teachers all just kinda fell kinda silent then politely said things like "aw that was funny" or something.  But I do have some really really good retard stories, probably as good as the Ferrally Brothers' stories.
- Buster Keaton

pete

got a little self conscious when I was reminded this part of the board was titled "the art gallery."  I have no idea if these photos can entertain anyone else in the world.  here's to hoping.  but let me know.

- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

The umbrella photo was the only one to get my attention, the others... not so much. The color's nice in the little girl photo.  Can't explain the why or the why not at this moment, however.
:( I am at work.
I do really like the b&w ones you previously showed quite a bit. :bravo:
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

matt35mm

These remind me that I don't really miss Taiwan (I lived there for 4 years.  You know, for kicks).

You take pictures of children really well.  You must be really sneaky.  Why are they all wearing USA shirts?

pete

yeah I'm having troubles with colors for some reason.  I think the biggest problem is I can't really visualize what the colored photos will look like.  then the other problem is that I can't develop them personally.  some of the ones that I like end up being liked only by me, because they lack the visual depth and stuff.  for example, I thought the temple photo would look good because only the lion was in focus and everything else was moving, but it was hard for the lion to stick out.  same thing with the daymarket picture...if I could burn and dodge, I'd make the two farmers in the middle of the picture stick out.
anyways I'm just whining I guess.  thanks for the words.  and matt, taiwan really is fun.  and the two girls are sisters.
- Buster Keaton

matt35mm

Quote from: pete on July 05, 2006, 12:33:36 PM
and matt, taiwan really is fun.  and the two girls are sisters.
Yeah I'm sure it'd be cool to go back and visit someday.  I think it's just not fun for a kid.  The whole 4 years felt like a blur of smog, motorcycles, and school uniforms.  I also never got to go to the movies because they're all fire hazards and have no safety escape, or so my parents said.

JG

the one of the girl is great. 

polkablues

Read your own advice to Reinhold about changing your shooting height instead of tilting up or down towards whatever you're shooting.  A few of those pictures are just balancing right on that thin line between photograph and snapshot, and a little more thought about the angle at which you're shooting would help push them over to the right side.

The kid in front of the yellow wall, especially... that's so close to being a really good photograph, it's almost frustrating to look at.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pete

you're right.  here's to vowing that my next rolls will be more conscious.
- Buster Keaton

pete

- Buster Keaton

The Perineum Falcon

The colors are gorgeous.
But is there a reason you consistently shoot with a slightly canted angle?
The backlighting in the third one is rather unfortunate as it obscures the face of, who I'm sure, is one cool dude.

I like these better. :)
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.