Clint Eastwood

Started by molly, November 23, 2003, 05:30:05 PM

molly

What do you think about him?
I like him more as a director than as an actor.

Finn

His direction is outstanding and that's what makes him a true artist. He's a good actor, but his directing is what's brought him the most acclaim.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Alethia

i dont think it gets much better than him in the man with no name trilogy though

kotte

Quote from: ewardi dont think it gets much better than him in the man with no name trilogy though

Agree...sorry Da Man but Clint is The Man.

Anyone seen the 'coolest man alive' interview? That proves just that, Clint is the coolest man alive.

soixante

Clint Eastwood has enjoyed a long career because he's very savvy.  He alternates commercial fare with more challenging stuff -- following up Blood Work with Mystic River, for example, or directing Bird after making Dead Pool.

As an actor, he knows what his audience wants, but he sometimes likes to play with audience expectations -- as in Bronco Billy and Honkytonk Man and White Hunter, Black Heart.

Unforgiven is one of the few films that won the Best Picture Oscar that actually deserved the prize.  A Perfect World is underrated, and Bridges of Madison County is a wonderful change of pace.  The films he directs have a low-key, watchful quality, letting things unfold in a leisurely manner, and allowing actors room to find their characters.  This is evident in Mystic River as well.
Music is your best entertainment value.

ElPandaRoyal

I also agree with this:

Quote from: mollyWhat do you think about him?

and also with what Sydney said... he's not a bad actor at all, but he's just a fantastic director.

And isn't Philip Seymour Hoffman the coolest man alive? (Ehehe, he probbly isn't, but he's damn cool anyway...)
Si

cine

Quote from: RoyalTenenbaumAnd isn't Philip Seymour Hoffman the coolest man alive?
Dirty Harry would out cool him on any day of the week. Especially with a .44 Magnum.
"Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya Phil?"

molly

Quote from: soixanteClint Eastwood has enjoyed a long career because he's very savvy.  He alternates commercial fare with more challenging stuff -- following up Blood Work with Mystic River, for example, or directing Bird after making Dead Pool.

As an actor, he knows what his audience wants, but he sometimes likes to play with audience expectations -- as in Bronco Billy and Honkytonk Man and White Hunter, Black Heart.

Unforgiven is one of the few films that won the Best Picture Oscar that actually deserved the prize.  A Perfect World is underrated, and Bridges of Madison County is a wonderful change of pace.  The films he directs have a low-key, watchful quality, letting things unfold in a leisurely manner, and allowing actors room to find their characters.  This is evident in Mystic River as well.

Exactly! It's like you can feel the texture of things, like they were actually used, not just put there only for the purpose of making a film. Also the sounds. It feels like he uses everything in the surrounding, accidental things to design the final outcome. His films are so rich with atmosphere.
Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil is one of the most beautiful titles ever - sounds like a fairy tale, but  for the grownups, with juicy details. I like that film very much. Wacky people.

SoNowThen

has anybody seen Bird? I really wanna, but can't find it here...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

molly

I asked in videostore for Taxy Driver, to show it to my friend, and the woman looked me like I asked her where did I put my taxy. Bird - I'm not even gonna try. Sad but true, some films will see our videostores only when their autors die, like Kubrick.

cine

Quote from: SoNowThenhas anybody seen Bird? I really wanna, but can't find it here...
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3365397522&category=2275

soixante

There's a great article about Eastwood's work as a director in a recent Film Comment, the one with Sean Penn on the cover.

Richard Schickel of Time seems to be the first major critic to take Eastwood seriously as a director, when he put Outlaw Josey Wales on his 10 Best of 1976 list.

Play Misty for Me, Eastwood's debut as a director, has influenced Fatal Attraction and many other thrillers.

He also did a change of pace romantic film, Breezy, in which he didn't appear.

Also, Eastwood's interest in jazz music finally found expression in Bird, a film I saw in 1988 and I need to see again.  Not sure if it's on DVD.

soixante

It is instructive to trace the respective careers of Clint Eastwood and Burt Reynolds.  Both of them were top box office draws in the 1970's, both specialized in macho action films, and both used their clout to become film directors.  Both of them appeared on the cover of Time in 1982.

While Burt tried to do a Dirty Harry with Hustle and Sharkey's Machine, Clint aped Burt's redneck comedies with Every Which Way But Loose -- and had a huge hit.

When Burt did Cannonball Run and Smokey and the Bandit 2, Clint tweaked his own image in Honkytonk Man.  Just when it seemed that Clint was headed into obscurity in the 80's, he did another Dirty Harry film, Sudden Impact, which made him cool again.  The line "Make my day" became the catchphrase de jour, and was even co-opted by President Reagan.

As if to answer his most truculent feminist critics, Clint's next cop film, Tightrope, featured a strong female protagonist.  Burt, meanwhile, was busy making stuff like Stroker Ace.

In 1984, Burt and Clint teamed up for the first time in City Heat.

NEON MERCURY

i actually like midnight in the garden..etc.

godardian

Quote from: mollyWhat do you think about him?

I completely agree. Unforgiven is great, but Dirty Harry is nothing to me.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.