Official RADIOHEAD thread

Started by Duck Sauce, January 11, 2003, 05:54:58 PM

MacGuffin

Jonny Greenwood Reveals Details of Krzysztof Penderecki Collaboration
Source: Pitchfork

Back in September, we reported that Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood and legendary Polish composer Krzysztof Penderecki were making an album together. That self-titled LP is now set for release March 13 via Nonesuch.

The album consists of two pieces by Penderecki from the early 60s, "Polymorphia" and "Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima", and two by Greenwood, "Popcorn Superhet Receiver", inspired by "Threnody", and "48 Responses to Polymorphia", inspired by "Polymorphia". Elements from "Popcorn" appeared in Greenwood's score for There Will Be Blood.

The album was recorded last fall in Poland, following the European Culture Congress, where Greenwood's "48 Responses" was debuted. The pieces were performed by the Polish AUKSO Orchestra, conducted by Penderecki and Marek Moś. On March 22, Penderecki and Moś will lead the AUKSO Chamber Orchestra in a performance at London's Barbican Hall, featuring all of the pieces on the album.

Jonny Greenwood/Krzysztof Penderecki:

01 Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima
02 Popcorn Superhet Receiver: Part 1
03 Popcorn Superhet Receiver: Part 2 A
04 Popcorn Superhet Receiver: Part 2 B
05 Popcorn Superhet Receiver: Part 3
06 Polymorphia
07 48 Responses to Polymorphia: Es ist Genug
08 48 Responses to Polymorphia: Ranj
09 48 Responses to Polymorphia: Overtones
10 48 Responses to Polymorphia: Scan
11 48 Responses to Polymorphia: Baton Sparks
12 48 Responses to Polymorphia: Three Oak Leaves
13 48 Responses to Polymorphia: Overhang
14 48 Responses to Polymorphia: Bridge
15 48 Responses to Polymorphia: Pacay Tree
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

That's actually really major news.

It's exciting.

Jonny G is prepared for a post radiodead world, and he'll be remembered longer than all of them if he keeps this up. Eagerly awaiting the Master score to sense the new direction.. eg. will there be a waltz? Will it sound like doors opening? Will it fall into line amidst a pop song heavy soundtrack? :ponder:
under the paving stones.

malkovich

I got to see Radiohead kick off their tour last night in Miami!! It was incredible! They sound better than ever and Thom (who was sporting a ponytail and red pants, by the way) actually seemed like he was having a good time. They played a lot of post-Kid A stuff and naturally they played The King of Limbs almost in its entirety, but it was actually pretty diverse. They brought back the actual SONG Kid A live as well as two new songs called "Identikit" and "Cut a Hole" AS WELL as the live debut of "Meeting in the Aisle" from the OK Computer days. They ended up playing 24 songs and 2 (!) encores, closing with Karma Police which turned into a sing along the crowd kept up even after the band left. It was so surreal. OH and Thom danced to like every song a la Lotus Flower save for the gorgeous, piano driven ballads. I'm convinced everyone in that sold out crowd, myself included, paid money to watch him dance just as much as we paid to listen to them play.

The set up of the lights and visuals were really awesome too, they had like twelve monitors rearranging in different formations above the band. Pictures (that I did not take:)

Amazing night. Easily the best show I've ever seen.

Pubrick

They're coming to Brisbane for the first time in 14 years in November and I got my ticket yesterday so I guess that's the same show I'll be watching.

I was really hoping they would pretend king of limbs never happened and just treat us to the radiohead that's worth paying for.

Oh well I'll just pretend those bits of their show never happened, or better yet take an mp3 player and listen to their good songs (almost any other album) whenever they play something from kol.
under the paving stones.

brockly

i made a website with a friend where u can track them on tour and watch live footage from YouTube. this is the only place on the internet where i do value everyone's opinion, if anyone has any feedback it would be appreciated. http://followthemaround.com/

RegularKarate

Quote from: brockly on February 29, 2012, 03:08:34 AM
i made a website with a friend where u can track them on tour and watch live footage from YouTube. this is the only place on the internet where i do value everyone's opinion, if anyone has any feedback it would be appreciated. http://followthemaround.com/

Looks like a cool site.  I'll check it out again after the US tour has been going on for a bit.

Oh, I live in Austin, it's the "Frank Erwin Center", not the "Frank Irwin Center".

matt35mm

They're playing in Austin on March 6th as well (Austin City Limits taping), in case you wanna put that on your website.

brockly

squints

brockly, (and anyone else who'll see radiohead on this first part of their tour)

did you catch the opening band? They're called Other Lives and they are good friends of mine.

I've known these guys for years and I'm really happy all their hard work is paying off.

My band just played a show with them a couple of weeks ago in Tulsa and it was cool to say we at least played with a band who's playing with radiohead, awesomeness by association.

Anyway, if any of ya'll get to seem em lemme know what you think!
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

RegularKarate

Saw the Austin show last night.  It was a strange setlist.  Felt like a B-side show in general.  A handful of the really exciting stuff mixed in with a bunch of KoL and deeper cuts off the better albums.  They closed with Paranoid Android, but other than that never brought anything from before Kid A.

It started kinda rough, but it got a lot better.  A sub-par Radiohead concert is still a great concert.
I have to say the new stuff sounds a million times better live... I know that's a cliche thing to say, but it's true.  They should have toured with KoL and just released the best live tracks.

Oh, I had maybe the worst seats I've ever had at a concert before.

Quote from: squints on February 29, 2012, 05:07:45 PM
did you catch the opening band? They're called Other Lives and they are good friends of mine.

I like these guys.  I have been listening off and on through spotify since they announced they were opening.  Where in OK are they from?  I got excited when the singer said they were from Oklahoma even though he sounded Irish or something.

Neil

Just caught them friday night at the Scott trade center here in St. Louis. I brought a camera and got busted with it and they made me delete the footage.  It's quite a bummer because I was close too!

I have to say, The King of Limbs really came to life.  They definitely should've put out a live version of king of limbs.

They did one Amnesiac song, "You and whose army" where Thom had the camera on his piano like malkovich's pictures show.  That shit was a trip.  Really visually exciting.  "There There" and Myxamatosis from HTTT were fantastic. 

Also, thom messed up the lyrics on "karma police" and it was fantastic, "this is what you get, when you forget the words" he sang at the end.

I was caught off guard by their song selection but it was still a great show.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

tpfkabi

I saw them in Dallas. It was amazing seeing the live debut of TASoOrgy. CUTW debuted on tour and Ed totally messed up the guitar on the ending, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it. I might have preferred the SL setlist because you got Airbag/Myxomatosis/Kid A live, which have alluded me in the previous 3 tour dates (01,03,08) in Houston plus this tour. We did get Staircase and The Gloaming though.

Other Lives sounded like Fleet Foxes covering How To Disappear Completely. Someone threw a cup or something and hit the guitarist/keyboardist right in the face, but he was very mature about it and didn't really react.

Has anyone ever taken all the YouTube footage of a show they went to and tried to edit a video for themselves? That would be fun to do if I had the right software.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

MacGuffin

Westboro Baptist Church Protests Radiohead Show
Anti-gay hate group calls Radiohead "freak monkeys with mediocre tunes"
Source: Pitchfork

Radiohead At Ease points out that Radiohead's concert this weekend in Kansas City, Missouri was met with protesters from the Topeka, Kansas hate group Westboro Baptist Church.
As At Ease notes, a note on the Westboro website about the protest referred to Radiohead as "freak monkeys with mediocre tunes" who "keep you busy and focused by lightness." It continues:

You try to get the people to look at the nonsense and not at the wrath of God that abides upon them.  "Look at the circus monkey over there and the fluffy setting, blah, blah..." Meanwhile, God is undoing this nation and effecting all of your lives, with the moth that quietly eats the very fabric of your national garment. Radiohead is just such an event.

Nigel Godrich joked on Twitter that it was the "highlight of the tour so far."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ono

http://www.youtube.com/coachella?feature=inp-lt-music

Blink and you'll miss it -- Radiohead performing live at Coachella right now.

While I was watching, they played:
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Morning Mr Magpie
Staircase(?)
The Gloaming
Pyramid Song
The Daily Mail
Myxomatosis
Karma Police
Identikit -- which I had never heard before.
Lotus Flower
There There
Bodysnatchers
Idioteque
--
Lucky
Reckoner
After the Goldrush (Neil Young cover tease) / Everything In Its Right Place ... WTF?
Give Up The Ghost
Paranoid Android (Finale) ... so predicted this -- that kinda night.

Pubrick

Quote from: ono on April 15, 2012, 01:26:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/coachella?feature=inp-lt-music

Blink and you'll miss it -- Radiohead performing live at Coachella right now.

While I was watching, they played:
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
Morning Mr Magpie
Staircase(?)
The Gloaming
Pyramid Song
The Daily Mail
Myxomatosis
Karma Police
Identikit -- which I had never heard before.
Lotus Flower
There There
Bodysnatchers
Idioteque
--
Lucky
Reckoner
After the Goldrush (Neil Young cover tease) / Everything In Its Right Place ... WTF?
Give Up The Ghost
Paranoid Android (Finale) ... so predicted this -- that kinda night.

That's not a bad set. Hope they bring some of that when they grace us with their godly presence.
under the paving stones.