-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Jeremy Blackman

No, we should all have film projectors in our homes.

ShanghaiOrange

Flipbooks and phonographs!

:(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

Recce

I wonder how long it'll take for digital projectors to become standard in movie theatres. I hear they've released some, but that the image quality is still nowhere near as good as film. But that's mostly cause they have to blow it up so big. In reality, video is much cleaner then film. No dust, no scratches and no expensive film.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

Cecil

Quote from: RecceIn reality, video is much cleaner then film. No dust, no scratches and no expensive film.

thats what i hate about video, and why i prefer to shoot on vhs or video 8 rather than dv. though sometimes really good dv can be great too, it depends on what kind of look you want

sphinx

Quote from: cecil b. dementedthats what i hate about video, and why i prefer to shoot on vhs or video 8 rather than dv. though sometimes really good dv can be great too, it depends on what kind of look you want

they're all magentic tape (even dv), some tapes just store more information or different kinds of it than others

you're off your rocker

Cecil

youre honestly gonna tell me that video 8 looks the same as dv?

or have you misunderstood and think im saying you get dust and crap on video 8? i was just talking about image quality

sphinx

nah, i think i must have been intoxicated at the time, or something

you can get dv to be really grainy by fuddling with light settings, but it doesn't really make it look like film.  it makes it look like a cheap video camera.  the more light you have on a subject in any kind of video, the more it's going to look like film, but video will never be able to reproduce the tones that film can, because they're just two totally different mediums that are made to look similar.

Tiff

Quote from: sphinxnah, i think i must have been intoxicated at the time, or something

you can get dv to be really grainy by fuddling with light settings, but it doesn't really make it look like film.  it makes it look like a cheap video camera.  the more light you have on a subject in any kind of video, the more it's going to look like film, but video will never be able to reproduce the tones that film can, because they're just two totally different mediums that are made to look similar.
poor video...all it wants to be is film, but it's never going to have its chance  :cry:
"Shut the fuck up!"

Recce

That's bull. Video can look like film. O Brother Where Art Thou was shot digital and I bet you didn't even realize it. It's jsut a question of getting the right look out of the colours in post. It's defenitely the future. Film is already on its way out with more and more films being shot digital. I think that with HD TV being more and more popular, people will get used to the prestine, crisp picture quality and film, with its scratches and splices and cigarette burns, etc., will be phased out. But I may be wrong.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men

RegularKarate

O Brother was shot in 35mm, it was just transfered to digital and back to film for post.

Recce

You sure about that? I'm pretty sure I watched the making of documentary on the DVD and they said it was shot digital then transfered to 35.

sphinx

Quote from: RecceYou sure about that? I'm pretty sure I watched the making of documentary on the DVD and they said it was shot digital then transfered to 35.

no, it was definetly shot on film.  a whole quarter of the documentary was spent talking about why the coen brothers decided not to time it like regular film using chemicals!  

wake up

Recce

You're right. I'm watching it again. My bad. But my point still stands. They controlled all the colours and stuff digitally. The rest isn't far behind.

P.S. The 'Wake Up' was uncalled for, dude.

sphinx

but it's a quarter of the documentary!  i guess the usher must have been asking to see your ticket at that point or something