Random DVD and Blu-ray announcements

Started by wilder, November 01, 2011, 01:54:56 AM

wilder

A 14 film box set of Jean Epstein's movies was just released in France from Potemkin Films and includes English subtitles. More information on the official site, and information on the restoration and some background here.

Coffret Jean Epstein - Amazon France

Also going to take this opportunity to plug Masters of Cinema's blu-ray release of Coeur fidéle (1923)

Jean Epstein's Cœur fidèle [True Heart] established the great French filmmaker as one of the most inventive directors of the (then still silent) art form. A pared-down tale of a barmaid oppressed by an exploitative foster family who attempt to push her into the arms of an unscrupulous regular-about-town, Marie's heart (exuberantly vivified by Gina Marès) belongs, as far as she's concerned, to the tenderly blank Jean (Léon Mathot)...

Cœur fidèle drives its simple story (which, with its infamous and exhilarating "carousel sequence", helped pave the way for the narrative tradition of such Murnau masterworks as Sunrise and City Girl) on into the realm of what might be considered an early incarnation of French poetic realism — all while still anticipating Epstein's magical, post-surrealist, later works.

Coeur fidéle (1923) - Amazon UK

jenkins

those are such great screencaps. is that an all-region release? i'll google. just having a "gimme a sec, i'm spiraling into emotional chaos" moment regarding already having seen the robocop remake and not remembering i've already seen the robocop which remake i saw like a month ago. that's kinda mysterious

wilder

It's not, but you of all people on this board except maybe samsong should rectify that situation yesterday. Maybe you already did. Maybe you forgot?

jenkins

movie theaters in los angeles are my all region player, my actual player is 7yo and normal, so i'd have to buy a new player and prepare myself to spend higher costs on certain releases to make the change. haven't done it. which is too bad for under the suns of satan and judex, both of which i've owned in region 2 ways for about three years

the sidestory is masters of cinema was started by like three friends, as a way to release their personal favorite movies, and the company has grown and they no longer control the company, but one of the founders regularly sends my friend masters of cinema releases, which he receives for free and can't watch because he hasn't downloaded the thing to make his player allreigion

you of all people should know that including samsong's name ruins a pitch. btw. makes me think of someone punching my face

wilder

Quote from: jenkins<3 on June 12, 2014, 01:16:09 PMthe sidestory is masters of cinema was started by like three friends, as a way to release their personal favorite movies, and the company has grown and they no longer control the company

What are they up to now? They're still there and don't have ownership or...?

Quote from: jenkins<3 on June 12, 2014, 01:16:09 PM
but one of the founders regularly sends my friend masters of cinema releases

Envy.

Quote from: jenkins<3 on June 12, 2014, 01:16:09 PM
you of all people should know that including samsong's name ruins a pitch. btw. makes me think of someone punching my face

???

...did I miss something?

jenkins

i'd have to ask to remind myself what they do now. i'm a link away from the story. all i know is Trond Trondsen, a Ph.D. of Space Physics and president of Keo Scientific Ltd (<-wiki helped me there), continues to regularly attend movie festivals, sxsw at least, and he met my friend there, and trond trondsen is a nice guy whose name i initially thought wasn't his real name, and he sends my friends moc movies for free. i've now shared my full knowledge of the situation

if you missed the other story that's probably better. idgi either. but it's a regular drag for me

samsong

samsong

Quote from: jenkins<3 on June 13, 2014, 01:39:41 AM
as i've said, it's both adorable and creepy

when did you say that?  i must've missed it in my scouring the board for all your posts for the purposes of responding in such a way as to be a drag.

jenkins

it'd be a fruitless "scour" because this is your battle. adorable. creepy. i hope you enjoy it because i don't

what the hell are you talking about man? chill thyself.

jenkins

as long as it ends this conversation that's stupid. no one wants to read this. i don't want to read the shit given to me, again and fucking again, by a group of people. that's what i'm saying. and i think this time if you need the footnote, go spirit quest. you got this

samsong

"creepy" implying that i, what, track your movements because i have it out for you?  normally i'd ignore something like this but, as you've down in the past, you want to make this personal, so here it goes:  i barely know who you are.  there is no battle.  rarely do i even really consider who the person posting is so much as what's being posted.  i only recently learned that you and trashjunkiewhatever and w/o horse are one and the same.  as far as your links go:  i remember that criterion exchange and i still think it's hilarious.  anyone could've written what you did and i would've said the same thing, and i'm pretty sure no one else would've resorted to personal attacks in response.  the thread for the hunt... i don't get it, i thought we were just talking.  i even said i watched the movie because of something you said, and just to nip this in the bud, i didn't go into it with any intent of being contrarian, hard as that may be for you to believe.  and the third, yes, i find your writing to be byzantine.  what of it?

i actually enjoy checking this thread for wilder's updates and i promise you, stumbling upon your pity party about my supposed obsession with you was purely coincidental.  i wish i hadn't.

jenkins

creepy in your persistence. you may have noticed. the end. always, i hope for the end to this

samsong

Quote from: 03 on June 11, 2014, 06:46:30 PM
an often overlooked masterpiece by lang.it is a straight up must watch.

BUT IT'S SO LONG.
it's streaming on netflix.  i'll watch it soon.