Garden State

Started by Ghostboy, March 19, 2004, 07:33:01 PM

tpfkabi

i was amazed by the trailer, too.
i liked the shot where his shirt blended in with the wallpaper.
and am i dreaming, or was there a half naked NP swimming?

on a serious note, what was so bad about it?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Finn

I just thought the script and dialouge was very pretentious and preachy. The Graff character just runs into one colorful/quirky character after the other. I swear there's probably not a single normal person throughout the whole movie. The central message, I suppose, is that love is the most important thing in life. But they really s-p-e-l-l that out to the audience too much. I thought the opening sequence of the film was kinda brilliant, but the rest is just dull and bad. I think everyone will be kinda surprised once they actually see the film.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Henry Hill

Quote from: godardianNothing to do with this, I presume...?

...wouldn't be the first time the indie film world had embraced Moody... But it looks like nothing to do with each other.

nope. completely original script by braff. its his omage to jersey where he grew up and such things.  saw the trailer at Eternal Sunshine. i remember seeing The Professional when i was 11 or so and thinking she was the coolest, plus we were the same age. i have followed her career ever since. even traveled to NYC on my 17th birthday to see her in Anne Frank. i was in the second row like 10 feet from her at one point. one of the coolest experiences ive had. anyway the trailer makes the film look kind of crazy. i cant wait. orginally it was titled Large's Ark. the following is from one of natalies sites Americas Queen. part 2 hasnt been released yet.

Garden State: Zach Braff (Director/Writer/Star)
Part 1 of 2
[2004]  

If there is one movie that Natalie fans have been really waiting for, it has to be "Garden State". A new movie written, directed and staring Zach Braff. Best know for his role as JD on NBC's  "Scrubs". In "Garden State" Zach plays Andrew Largeman a 28 year old who is returns home to New Jersey after being estranged from his family for 10 years for his mother's funeral. While home he falls in love with Sam (Natalie Portman) a quirky young woman who helps him to awaken from the mental coma in which he's spent much of his life.
AQ:
First off let us say thank you for taking time out of lets us talk with us about "Garden State". I'll star with the most asked question we have been getting. When can we see this movie?

Zach Braff (ZB)
We are being released by Fox Searchlight domestically and Miramax internationally and the release date will probably be either
7/30/04 or 8/6/04 in NYC and LA and will expand from there.

AQ:
It's rating?

ZB:
It will be rated R

AQ:
How did you come up with the idea for this movie?

ZB:
I always collected stories from growing up in suburban New Jersey.
In 'Garden State' I wove all those stories together into one movie.

AG:
Any word yet on when we may see a trailer released?

ZB
A teaser will come first, look for that possibly on the movie "Eternal
Sunshine of a Spotless Mind"

AQ:
How did Natalie get cast in this movie?

ZB:
She's one of my favorite young actresses. I never imagined she'd say
yes. We always said to each other that we were looking for someone
"like" Natalie.

AQ:
What can you tell me about her role in "Garden State"?

ZB:
Natalie plays a young eccentric girl with whom the main character
(myself) falls in love with over the course of the four days he is home
for his mothers funeral. Fans of Natalie will be blown away by her performance. It's unlike anything she has ever done before. It's as if she channeling Diane Keaton in "Annie Hall".

AQ:
If this movie becomes a big hit and you are given chances to do more movies, will you leave Scrubs?

ZB:
No. I love Scrubs. I'll do that for half the year and other projects
for the other half.

AQ:
Can you give us a tease of what's coming up for Scrubs?

ZB:
Looking for a BIG ending to the third season.

AQ:
Any hope that of us fans will get to see Scrubs released on DVD?

ZB:
Scrubs will be released on DVD very soon.

AQ:
Any plans on what will be on the "Garden State" DVD?

ZB:
You can expect, deleted scenes, commentary from Nat, outtakes, alternate endings, behind the scenes footage.

AQ:
Why did the name get changed from "Large's Ark" to "Garden State"?

ZB:
People got confused by hearing the title "Large's Ark" and couldn't remember it. We wanted something that was really easy to remember and catchy. Since the film is about New Jersey (The Garden State) and it's about someone exploring their state of mind, we settled on Garden State.

AQ:
What does "Large's Ark" mean?

ZB:
My character's name is Andrew Largeman, but everyone calls him Large. "Large's Ark" had the double meaning of being about the "arc" of his character throughout the film and a literal "ark"/boat they end up in at the end of the movie. Ultimately, the title was too hard to explain. Try saying it to someone and you'll see. No one has any idea what you said. So we changed it to Garden State since it all take place in New Jersey and there's some apropos metaphors in it as well.

AQ:
When should we see the official website?

ZB:
We are about to begin our web presence. The site will be at "gardenstatethemovie.com" soon. I'll keep you posted on that.

AQ:
What is next for you? You writing or directing anything else?

ZB:
Things in development, but nothing to announce yet.

AQ:
Your now credited as a screenwriter. Is there any screenwriters that you're a big fan of?

ZB:
My current favorite in Sophia Coppola.

AQ:
What about directors?

ZB:
I would have to say, Wes Anderson, and again Sophia Coppola.

AQ:
Thank you again for giving us this time. Anything you like to add?

ZB:
Please do what ever you can to get Natalie fans excited about this
project. We feel it is Natalie's best performance ever!

SoNowThen

Natalie Portman

what more can I say? Thank you Scrubs guy. I will be seeing this.

Pete, did you actually ever get to talk to her? Is she pleasant? As hot in person?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Stefen

I just saw the trailer for this on coming attractions. It looks very good. I love the look of it. I'm not too familiar with the actor/writer/director/scrubs dude, but anything with Ian Holm gets me excited. Oh and Natalie Portman rocks my sausage off. I'll probably wait till more people see it before deciding if I want to see it myself in the theater. Otherwise I'll just wait for the video. It reminded me alot of the trailer to moonlight mile, which I kinda like but liked the trailer more.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

pete

Quote from: SoNowThenNatalie Portman

what more can I say? Thank you Scrubs guy. I will be seeing this.

Pete, did you actually ever get to talk to her? Is she pleasant? As hot in person?

she's hot in person.  I didn't really talk to her, I mean I sell popcorns and rip movie tickets and she's a patron you know, there's not that much chatting going on.  I guess it was cute that I called He Loves Me He Loves Me Not "Fatal Attraction Lite" and she laughed.  I heard all these stories about her too, seems like everyone working at harvard square knows a snobby/ nice natalie portman story.  But the East Coast is way too snobby to admit starcrushes I tells you.
Working at my arty theater is cool though, I had nice conversations with Stephen King, Stephen Wright, Noam Chomsky, Penn and Teller, and QT.  All were there as patrons except for QT.  Casey Affleck and Matt Damon used to come here too, as well as David Cross.  No one really "hot", but name-dropping is always fun, no?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: Zach BraffSophia Coppola
I'm seeing this as soon as I can.

A Matter Of Chance

I saw the trailer, loved it, I really want to see the movie. Is it NC-17? That's what the card after the trailer said.

Natalie Portman is hot.

Kal

Quote from: A Matter Of Chance

Natalie Portman is hot.

yes sir

El Duderino

Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Banky

looks good

btw i really need to see eternal sunshine

edison

Love this trailer, but whats the song?

Finn

Frou Frou - Let Go
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

matt35mm

Daaaang the trailer IS sweet.

I could believe that the movie is not as good, but still, just the trailer itself is so awesome that there is a spark of real talent in there somewhere.  Dunno if there much of it in the movie, but it's there in the trailer.

matt35mm

Okay so... I've seen this trailer a bunch of times.  Then I didn't watch it for like... 3 days.

Then I just saw it again and I... I just can't get over it.  I don't care if the buzz is that the movie isn't That Great, cuz this trailer is fuggin amazing.

I mean... I know the whole movie can't be quite as exotic as the trailer makes it seem (come on... it's about Jersey, not... some... exotic place).  But still, the trailer is awesome.  A week after seeing it the first time, it's still awesome.