I Heart Huckabees

Started by MacGuffin, February 15, 2004, 10:47:22 PM

Stefen

Quote from: UltrahipAn excellent suggestion. Pistols at dawn!

Chester Pennywinkle lives!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

samsong

Quote from: UltrahipSamsong, you're avatar is like my avatar! How bizarre...

mmmm... gotta love the grammatical errors.

There isn't enough Tati love on this board so I think there's room for both of our avatars.

By the way, mine is better.

Stefen

Whoa! When did samsong become such an asshole? I've been gone awhile. Man, i like him even more.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

tpfkabi

i got an e-mail from the Magnolia list about a free screening of this film. i wish i lived closer to Dallas. :cry:
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Ultrahip

Whoa! Sorry man, I don't post with like, my grammar book, uh, handy, man, you know?

On a more formal note I'd have to go ahead and say my avatar is actually better, but that was an honest mistake on your part. And yes, there is certainly room for the both.

cine

If I can jump in... samsong's is better.

And not because I think samsong is the best poster on xixax. Because it's just better. :yabbse-thumbup:

Ultrahip

I feel like I'm being gang banged. (':shock:')

RegularKarate

There is an interview with O Russel and Jason S about I Heart H's on the onion for those interested.

picolas

modage

Quote from: David O. RussellWhen I saw Rushmore, I said, "That man's my brother, and I have to become friends with him." And we did become friends. His character in Rushmore is a bit of a wise-ass, but he also has great sincerity in the things that he pursues, and great commitment. I believe in great commitment. When you're committed, you are an immediate target, and you have to not give a fuck.
its funny that he wanted to be friends with him because of the character he played in a movie.  haha, does he realize its all just make believe and jason is not in reality max fischer?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

bigperm

I was able to see this last night, and my initial reaction was not too good. Look, it may just be me, but I personally find it harder and harder to go to the movies, that's not very optomistic and there are a few films I do anticipate, and this was one of them, but it was just flat in my opinion. I really had a hard time with the casting, and felt JasonS didn't work for me. Honestly none of the cast did, but I didn't really like the script much either. Quirky? Screwball? I don't know, didn't really seem like it knew what the hell it wanted to be, and maybe that's the point. I really don't trust my own judgement these days and feel that it's gotta be me. Ms. Perm dug it, as well as the few other friends we were with, and the crowd seemed to enjoy it. Yes, it had some funny parts, but I didn't connect. I apologize for the negative vibe, not writing DaivdOR off, but that's the gut reaction.
Safe As Milk

Pozer

GHostboy, you see Huckabee's yet?

Ghostboy

Yeah. I liked it a lot, but I'm still thinking about it and don't have anything to succinct to say, other than: I love David O Russell for making this, whatever it is; and whatever problems the movie may have, it is most definitely not quirky or quirky for quirky's sake or whatever.

Pozer

Cool Man. That fuels my ancipation even more. It looks F'd up. I'm soo in the mood for an F'd up movie tonight.

modage

well since this was one of my most anticipated movies for the whole year, i'm pretty massively letdown right now.  i really really really wanted to love this movie, i thought the trailer was great, it just wasnt meant to be.  it was a noble mess. it was also the strangest movie i've seen all year.  its so weird it makes Eternal Sunshine look like a 'normal' jim carrey movie.  its so weird it makes Punch-Drunk Love look like a 'normal' adam sandler movie.  it will make $0 at the box office, my theatre was almost empty on opening night.  lets see what else...

Quote from: RegularKarateI hear this movie is only going to be kind of funny because it tries too hard.
Quote from: socketleveleven though there are some really funny bits it comes off like pretentious garbage. i'm a big o. russell fan and tried my best to like the film, but just couldn't bring myself to it when the end credits rolled.
Quote from: bigpermMy initial reaction was not too good. Look, there are a few films I do anticipate, and this was one of them, but it was just flat in my opinion. I really had a hard time with the casting, and felt JasonS didn't work for me. Honestly none of the cast did, but I didn't really like the script much either. Quirky? Screwball? I don't know, didn't really seem like it knew what the hell it wanted to be, and maybe that's the point. Yes, it had some funny parts, but I didn't connect. I apologize for the negative vibe, not writing DaivdOR off, but that's the gut reaction.

i just cant believe this was made by the same guy who made three kings.  and made AFTER!!  its just so awkward and amateurish, i refuse to believe the same guy went onto make this (when it seems like an oddity that should've already fallen earlier in a career).  its not that the subject matter was too weird, the premise was great, it just didnt deliver.  the movie was either A. not funny enough or B. not thoughtful enough.  it was just too --- blah.  i dunno.  jason s. seemed underused as did most of the cast.  jude law didnt quite seem as good as normal.  there seemed to be a lot of halfbaked ideas that made a weird as hell incoherent movie.  i'm guessing everyone signed on because of who the director was hoping they could pull something together from the premise and russell was hoping the same.  but he just didnt have a handle on the thing.  the movie didnt seem to take place anywhere near reality.  you dont care about any of the characters because its so oddball you dont feel like you should, but then, its not so funny that you dont mind.  its really not even that entertaining.  i dont think it will have a very good rewatchability, like i dont know that i want to see it again.  its just a mess.  drop all comparisons to PT now.  this is a misfire.  its okay.  lofty ambitions not reached by a long shot.  this review at AICN is pretty much how i feel... http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=17036
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.