I Heart Huckabees

Started by MacGuffin, February 15, 2004, 10:47:22 PM

cine

I haven't the slightest clue where to begin. Easily one of my favourite films this year. The continuity errors of Wahlberg's facial hair was so obvious it seemed like it could've been intentional. But distracting nonetheless. I honestly don't know where to start on this film. Once again, samsong nails it in terms of how the film is, and don't let modernage make you think otherwise.

This film is dubbed an "existential comedy". People, stop walking in with high expectations! It's about existentialism... unless you're an avid reader of Sartre, you probably won't care for the content. But whether you like philosophy or not, the concept of the film is clear as day. No clue why Ebert said you'd wonder what it was really about. When you break down the film for what it was essentially, it was characters that were intertwined based on their own philosophies. Simple as that. And from their questions about what existence is, etc, they meet each other and change each other's lives. Simple, beautiful, refreshing. How was this trying too hard?

The characters want to find themselves and in the end, they all do. This is me speaking very simplistically about the film's 'plot'. What I don't get is the harsh criticism that the film wasn't "funny enough." Here's how I see it. PDL was a "romantic comedy." But in that it actually meant: "less comedy, more romance."  So in the case of I Heart Huckabees, take it into consideration that this film is "less comedy, more existentialism". But if I am to keep comparing PDL to IHH, let me just say that there are many more funny moments in this film than PTA's. Anyway, that's it for comparisons as I don't feel they should be discussed in the same sentence.

To some people, this is going to be heavy material. Like RK said, if you take it as a light-hearted comedy, you will enjoy it. The main thing that's turning people off is the philosophical dialogue. Yes, it's pretty deep with that content but really, just let your mind go and not try not to predict what the hell is going to happen.. and chances are you'll start seeing that you think of these things all the time. Who am I? How am I not myself? What is existence?

The way everybody is interconnected makes it all the more fun. The realization of Naomi Watts and her relationship with Jude Law. Wahlberg and Schwartzman, although are existential soulmates, one is on the philosophical left (Hoffman and Tomlin) while the other is on the right (Huppart). Again, when you let yourself go and enjoy the film for what it is, you sink into these characters and their internal conflicts.

Now there's a lot of things modernage said that I'd love to disagree but I don't really want to go back and quote just about everything. I already addressed a couple, namely the comedy. But the other things I recall worth arguing is how he's so bewildered that O'Russell is the same guy who did Three Kings.  If you've read anything on DOR, you know his stance on war. And if you know anything else on DOR, you know he is a HUGE philosophy buff. I read in a magazine that when he asked Wahlberg to do it, they both spoke of their beliefs on life, chanted together, meditated together, etc. DOR loves philosophy more than anything. To make some people happy by comparing him to PTA, this film is his Magnolia.

On the issue on whether one can rewatch it, I would sure say so. It's a very pleasing film and as samsong pointed out, its optimistic and life affirming. These characters aren't shallow people by any means. They all have a deep spot in their hearts and they all want the answers to who they are. Just like all of us.

It's a truly feel-good film and there's no reason not to go out and see this and knock yourself out.

modage

goddamn, i cant believe i'm alone on this?  what film did i watch here?  what am i, the new gt?  why am i here?  what is the meaning of life, and so on....
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ono

Haha.  I still haven't seen it, so you're not totally alone yet.

socketlevel

Quote from: themodernage02goddamn, i cant believe i'm alone on this?  what film did i watch here?  what am i, the new gt?  why am i here?  what is the meaning of life, and so on....

you're not.

it's me and you against the world.

lol, i'm washed up.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...

El Duderino

great movie. i was taken off guard the first few seconds, but it's all good. during the hall scene, my dad said "so is this the punch drunk love guy?" marky mark's best performance since boogie nights
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

meatball

Quote from: BethieFuckabees

What does that mean?!

I can't believe I haven't seen this movie yet.

cine

Quote from: meatballWhat does that mean?!

Pozer

Quote from: Cinephile

Yeah.

tpfkabi

Quote from: POZER
Quote from: Cinephile

Yeah.

well, the last couple of days i've been seeing a trailer for the film stating, "in theatres everywhere Oct 22nd!"

i wonder if everywhere means around here......hopefully so.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

matt35mm

Yeah, it'll open wide this Friday.  It's coming here, finally.

You SHOULD be able to go to any theater showtimes website and check the schedule for this Friday to find out for sure.

pete

Quote from: BethieFuckabees

I love that book, the adventures of fuckaberry finn.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

SHAFTR

I really, really enjoyed this film.  Easily one of my top 3 films of the year thus far, I need to see it again to decide where among the top 3 it lands.  I'm reading some of the criticisms and I am just wondering if you were watching the same movie as I was.  It was brilliant, I would say it's the most innovative film I've seen since Being John Malkovich.  The cast is amazing, Marky Mark especiailly.  The movie also takes a lot of chances, not just in the writing but in the directing.  For those of you who are surprised that David O Russell did this film, watch Flirting with Disaster and I think you'd be able to see the comparisions.

Now there are a few moments that went a little too far (ie Mud scene and Law/Schwarztman/Milk dream) and made me think I was watching Team America for a second.  These scenes are short and quickly forgotten.  Also, I believe the dinner table scene in this flm is the best written scene I've seen all year.

****1/2 out of 5 stars (It needs another viewing for me to decide on giving it that extra 1/2 star).
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

ono

An alternative take contrary to critics fawning all over the flick: http://www.indyweek.com/durham/current/movie.html

cowboykurtis

very uneven -- the good parts were delightful, the others were dreadful -- my biggest problem was with jason schwartzman -- i thought he was terribly mis-cast -- whalberg was the pinnacle of the movie -- hoffman the man as always -- jude law didn't work for me  -- coudlnt get past his attempts to veil the british accent  -- became distracting, it would come out here and there -- the script was great, but poorly executed -- lacked imagination with the directing -- those dream sequences in the bag were so distasteful -- would have loved to see them use practical sets and effects. all in all good, but didn't live up to expectations -- the soundtrack is brilliant -- if youre a j brion fan at all pick it up -- astounding really.
...your excuses are your own...