Kevin Smith's Jersey Girl

Started by SHAFTR, February 04, 2003, 12:27:25 PM

Raikus

Clerks: The Animated Series is currently running on Comedy Central, Sundays at 12:30 AM.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: RaikusClerks: The Animated Series is currently running on Comedy Central, Sundays at 12:30 AM.

I remember seeing one episode like 2 years ago on ABC and actually found it to be pretty funny.  :oops:

Raikus

Actually, all the Smith-haters out there will probably find it very funny due to all the self-depricating humor towards the characters and the actual movie itself.

An example can be found here:
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

moonshiner

that animated series is really funny...i watched it on dvd a long while ago..Clerks was the only Smith movie that i really liked....very funny, very punk rock, and low budget, the alternate ending is crazy...the animated series is just as funny.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

bonanzataz

The episodes they show on comedy central are the only ones they made. Those episodes were all put onto dvd and I can watch them whenever the fuck i want! I want new ones.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Raikus

Depending on whether or no Jason Mewes gives up his dependency of China White, the plans are in the works for a Clerks 2 movie that would be in the animated series style. Even if Mewes is in rehab, they may still create it and leave out the Jay character.

And the entire Clerks: TAS run was 6 episodes. 2 of which aired on ABC before they cancelled it.

bonanzataz

I know this, Raikus. By the way, like your avatar.

"I am the queeeen of France!"
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

snaporaz

i really love clerks, and mallrats is a pretty good, stupid movie. but the rest of his movies have gotten progressively worse. fucking garbage, especially since his movies now basically consist of having superstars cast for no real reason except for the fact that their stuporstars. what the fuck was chris rock, salma hayek and alanis fucking morrisette doing in dogma? fucking retarded cameos left and right and ben assfuck playing the same smithesque douchebag. jay and silent bob stirke back is possibly one of the worst movies. ever. and smith thinks the way to make a hollywood "satire" is by making a shitty hollywood movie, and get away with it. what a dipshit. plus, he talked shit about p.t.a. being pretentious and self-induldgent, going so far as to make immature jokes about him in his movie - yet this arrogant bastard is now touring himself to speak to people and trying to make himself to be some great intellect that people should listen to...

ugh. smith is a complete hack and a sell-out. the idiot makes me sick.

Raikus

Well, actually you should see Chasing Amy. It's his best movie I think.

And he makes no arguments about selling out. He says he was only a independent film maker up until he accepted the check from Harvey for Clerks.

And watch Evening with Kevin Smith. He doesn't try to come off as a great intellect or a great director. However, it is great stand up comedy.

I get that people dislike his style and direction (saying they "hate" him is going a bit far. Personally I don't think you can use the term "hate" towards an individual unless they've personally wronged you in some great way). That's fine. But base decisions on his style and content, not on a quip he made about PTA that is long since in the past. As a matter of fact, both directors have said they like and admire the other's work. Water under the bridge so to say.

Opinions are great. As long as they're informed opinions.

av8raaron

Clerks and Mallrats are good for tripe humor - didn't dig on Chasing Amy too much.  Dogma started the slide downhill, Strike Back was 90 minutes of my life that I will never be able to recover.
Fresh buttered toast.

SHAFTR

It is someone asking about what he said about Magnolia.  He told them that he was in a pissed off mood at the time he answered the question on a webboard.  He later on ran into PTA and they talked and they both talked about how they admire eachothers work.  Kevin even said that he thought PTA was a real gentleman about everything.

I will defend Kevin Smith until the end.

J&SB Strike Back isn't a very good film, I admit it.  But to think that it was made as some kind of hollywood satire is insane.  That was never the intention, it was him making a film he wanted to make.  It was a film that was pretty much made for fans of his other films.  I don't see how it could be understood if you hadn't seen his other 4 films, 5 if you include the Animated Series.  Most of it was inside jokes.  No money was lost on the movie either.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

snaporaz

Quote from: RaikusWell, actually you should see Chasing Amy. It's his best movie I think.

And he makes no arguments about selling out. He says he was only a independent film maker up until he accepted the check from Harvey for Clerks.

And watch Evening with Kevin Smith. He doesn't try to come off as a great intellect or a great director. However, it is great stand up comedy.

I get that people dislike his style and direction (saying they "hate" him is going a bit far. Personally I don't think you can use the term "hate" towards an individual unless they've personally wronged you in some great way). That's fine. But base decisions on his style and content, not on a quip he made about PTA that is long since in the past. As a matter of fact, both directors have said they like and admire the other's work. Water under the bridge so to say.

Opinions are great. As long as they're informed opinions.

i have seen chasing amy...not a bad movie, but i still didn't like it, personally.

and about him selling out...i didn't mean that "it sucks that he's not indy anymore". screw that. when i mean he's sold out, i mean he's given up artistic integrity and has adopted awful hollywood ideals.

and as for his comments towards p.t.a. & magnolia...i couldn't care less about what his personal opinions towards anderson or his films are. i just think he's a total douchebag for being hypocritical about anderson being self-induldgent while he was whoring a cartoon series to abc and is now going on tour with "an evening with me, kevin smith". pffft. and his jab at anderson in jay & silent bob strike back...that was really distatseful and immature. and i would say the same thing if that joke was directed at anyone else that he - for whatever reason - had a personal beef with.

so...do i "hate" him? well...i think he makes shitty movies. and from what i do know about him, he's just a regular hollywood hack waving his fat nose in the air. so, you might be able to say that i "hate" him as much as i "love" my favourite filmmakers.

SHAFTR

ya, because Clerks had a lot of artistic integrity in it.

Plus, he never said anything about PTA being self-indulgent...
someone asked him what he thought of Magnolia
and he said it was like sitting thru a Root Canal (which I disagree with)

snaporaz

Quote from: SHAFTRya, because Clerks had a lot of artistic integrity in it.

Plus, he never said anything about PTA being self-indulgent...
someone asked him what he thought of Magnolia
and he said it was like sitting thru a Root Canal (which I disagree with)

actually, clerks did have alot of artistic integrity. you probably disagree, but i find that whatever helps make a film truly great - editing, cinematography, art direction, dialouge [even if it's comedic] - then it only helps define cinema as an art form.

and he did say that anderson was either self-induldgent or pretentious [i forget]. he basically said something to the effect, [referring to magnolia] "there's nothing more disgusting and self-induldgent than a filmmaker trying to blahblahblah". i forget exactly what he said, but his wording wasn't totally different than that.

SHAFTR

his dialogue hasn't really changed much since Clerks.

and the art direction/cinematography of Clerks was set the camera down and let the actors act.