The Passion Of The Christ

Started by MacGuffin, January 28, 2003, 01:49:48 AM

Pedro

have a little faith in gibson...( no pun intended )

cine

Only the post reader enjoyed it... which says something about its audience, I think. I think to make these fair reviews, it would've been nice to get their views on films like "The Last Temptation of Christ."

Reinhold

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (Nov. 29) - The Rev. Billy Graham gave an enthusiastic thumbs-up to Mel Gibson's biblical epic, "The Passion of Christ," after a private screening with the movie star.

The film, which describes the hours before Jesus Christ's crucifixion, has generated complaints from some Jewish leaders, who say it suggests Jews were responsible for Christ's death. Conservative Catholics who have seen the film have called it powerful.

"The film is faithful to the Bible's teaching that we are all responsible for Jesus' death, because we all have sinned," the 85-year-old evangelist said. "It is our sins that caused his death, not any particular group."

In a statement released Tuesday by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, the Southern Baptist also said he "was moved to tears" by the film.

Gibson spent a reported $30 million to produce the movie. Set for release Feb. 25, the movie's dialogue is in Latin, Hebrew and Aramaic with English subtitles.

"I doubt if there has been a more graphic and moving presentation of Jesus' death and resurrection, which Christians believe are the most important events in human history," Graham said.

Graham attended a screening a month ago - one of several Gibson has hosted for religious leaders. After one in August, Abraham Foxman of the Anti-Defamation League complained "the film unambiguously portrays Jewish authorities and the Jewish mob as the ones responsible for the decision to crucify Jesus."

Paul Lauer, the film's marketing director in Santa Monica, Calif., called Graham's endorsement "very important." Lauer said the film is faithful to the Gospel text.

"Therefore," he said, "we don't believe the film is anti-Semitic."

Graham apologized last year for disparaging remarks he made about Jews 30 years ago in an Oval Office conversation with President Nixon. The comments were released on audio tapes made by Nixon.

11/29/03 19:59 EST
AP on AOL
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Ghostboy

I think The Post's review was probably pretty accurate...it's what I was expecting. I hope Gibson takes some of their comments to heart, despite any lawsuits.

However...Billy Graham? Ughhhh. Just my opinion.

Pedro

subtitles?...grrr...

regardless, im still quite looking forward to this.

Pwaybloe

Quote from: Pedro el Fascolomissubtitles?...grrr...

No, I think that was the right move.  

What concerns me is where Gibson mentioned he would use visual hints to let the audience know what's going on, before subtitles were added.  Have they been edited out?

SoNowThen

subtitles no good in this case

I was really looking forward to just watching the movie

... well, I guess I still could just ignore the subtitles.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Gamblour.

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman"The" christ. That's funny.

I'm not big on religion. Why did they put that 'the' there? I remember reading that going, "So, Christ is a job title? Or is 'the' his middle name?"
WWPTAD?

Finn

Well, you could say the same thing about The Last Temptation of Christ. I don't know how this movie's gonna be. I don't know very much about it, but I'm sure it won't top Scorsese's masterpiece!
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Gamblour.

Quote from: SydneyWell, you could say the same thing about The Last Temptation of Christ. I don't know how this movie's gonna be. I don't know very much about it, but I'm sure it won't top Scorsese's masterpiece!

I think you've misunderstood. We're talking about this 'the': The Passion of The Christ. It's like making the title you mentioned "The Last Temptation of The Christ"...sounds stupid to me, is there any reason why they would add this? Some biblical syntax thing or something? Any insight?
WWPTAD?

Ghostboy

Putting a THE in front of it is actually the correct use of the word Christ, which is in fact not a name.

picolas

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: GhostboyPutting a THE in front of it is actually the correct use of the word Christ, which is in fact not a name.

Yeah, probably. In Paradise Lost, Milton constantly refers to him as "The Son"...