The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King

Started by modage, June 30, 2003, 12:10:57 PM

Sleuth

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Gamblor the ManwhoreHalf because of the sadness the movie will be, and half because of my envy of you Ghostboy.

Sinner.

:!:
I like to hug dogs

Weak2ndAct

Let me preface this by saying I'm a little tipsy as I type.  More thoughts later, and if you have Q's, by all means, ask away...

8) So I managed to catch the movie too.  My initial thoughts:
HOLY

FUCKING

SHIT

Okay, so if you're not a real LOTR fan, don't like fantasy movies or whatever-- I dare you not to gasp or mutter 'holy shit' AT LEAST 5 times during this movie.  The scope is unlike anything I've ever seen.  The action is shockingly huge and wonderful.  And that's just the icing on the cake.

Yes, like Ghostboy said, you're not seeing the full-perfect-version of the movie.  But I dare you not to be in awe of what's on the screen.  I was worried that the omission of Christopher Lee was going to be a problem... it really wasn't.  There's so much more else going on.  Sean Astin deserves an Oscar nomination.  He's that good, and has to (literally and figuratively) carry the movie near the end.  Amazing work.

There were at least 7 or 8 crowd-cheering-moments, where characters are given their moments to shine (Even Miranda Otto in the biggest).  

If you haven't seen the Extended cuts of the films, see them before ROTK, you'll enjoy the movie more-- especially the longer 2 Towers.

God.  I'm still reeling from the whole thing.  What Jackson and Co. has put together is just wonderful and my words of praise can in no way do them just justice.  I hope they sweep the Oscars.

©brad

:onfire:  :multi:  :Fade-color :!:

ooooooooh baby, i can't wait!!!!!!

MacGuffin

Quote from: GhostboyIt also has more narrative errors than the others, in terms of pacing and whatnot, and there is some trouble in wrapping it up cohesively. I think Peter Jackson might have needed more time to fine tune it, and I'm sure the extended edition will reflect that when it comes out.

The theatrical edition of The Return of the King reportedly clocks in at 210 minutes - or 3 and 1/2 hours long. Still not enough for you? Well, director Peter Jackson, speaking to the press in New Zealand this week (according to The Hollywood Reporter) reportedly hinted that The Return of the King: Special Extended DVD Edition, due to be released next year, could clock in at over 4 hours long! Set to be added back into the film are a number of scenes, including one (much talked about online recently) involving the fate of Saruman at Isengard.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

©brad

wow, 3 &1/2 hours?! perhaps weak2ndact and ghostboy could validate this?

rustinglass

Quote from: Weak2ndActcharacters are given their moments to shine (Even Miranda Otto in the biggest).  

I didn't see the film but I think I know what you're talking about. If so... It's my favourite part of the book, for years and years I've  imagined how it would look on screen...I hope peter has a better vision than mine.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Redlum

I'm sure the BBFC passed it as 3hours and 20 including credits, with a directors recommendation of where to place an intermission (which apparently Warner Villages here are going to do).

Great news about the extended version!
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ©bradwow, 3 &1/2 hours?! perhaps weak2ndact and ghostboy could validate this?

Really. I got people on my back for not liking the first two and bugging me to see the extended editions instead. I'm looking at the lengths for both and thinking, "Where am I going to find the time?". With Return of the King, I'm seeing it but really dreading it. An entire friday afternoon will be spent just for this movie. No way I'm seeing the extended version at all. My problems with the series are deeper than the solution of 40 minutes added to it.

Ghostboy

It's definitely a full 210 minutes. Doesn't feel like it, though.

Weak2ndAct, what did you think of the scene where Billy Boyd sings that song to Denethor? I can't get that montage out of my head.

Redlum

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Really. I got people on my back for not liking the first two and bugging me to see the extended editions instead. I'm looking at the lengths for both and thinking, "Where am I going to find the time?". My problems with the series are deeper than the solution of 40 minutes added to it.

I don't think they'd radically change your view of the movie but I certainly think they would resolve (to some extent) the issues you have with battle emphasis, pacing, videogame syndrome, character depth.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

RegularKarate

Everyone keeps talking about how much better the extended version of Two Towers is, but it's not.  It's longer and it contains more information, but a lot of the scenes (save a small handfull) are unnecessary and just throw of the pacing of the film.

I mean I love these films and I'm glad I bought the Extended cut, but I'm also going to go back and buy the original release because it's better.

©brad

should we go ahead and move this thread to 'now showing?'

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©bradshould we go ahead and move this thread to 'now showing?'

Is it the 17th?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: ©bradshould we go ahead and move this thread to 'now showing?'

Is it the 17th?
OHH!! you were SLAMMED down mista brad

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: ®edlum
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Really. I got people on my back for not liking the first two and bugging me to see the extended editions instead. I'm looking at the lengths for both and thinking, "Where am I going to find the time?". My problems with the series are deeper than the solution of 40 minutes added to it.

I don't think they'd radically change your view of the movie but I certainly think they would resolve (to some extent) the issues you have with battle emphasis, pacing, videogame syndrome, character depth.

This is what I'll do then. I just realized ROTK comes out during finals week for me at school. This isn't a bad thing at all, but a great one. I don't need to study and will have little to do, so during this week I promise I will watch both extended versions and the final film on friday. I'm going to give the trilogy a fair shot with open eyes since I saw the last two only during theatrical release. OK? You guys should consider this a miracle.

Also, quite funny, Pedro.