other French New Wave-ers

Started by SoNowThen, August 28, 2003, 10:49:36 AM

SoNowThen

so anybody wanna talk about this? for those of you who complain about too much new director stuff, this is for ya.

so I went on a bender of french films this week. watched my first Varda, Rohmer, and Chabrol.

Happiness by Varda
Chloe in the Afternoon by Rohmer
les bonnes femmes by Chabrol

all good films, none struck me as being brilliant, but all quite thought-provoking and good.

Varda had the most exciting style, and some great shots. Chabrol was more composed, but still some wonderful set-ups.

What Rohmer lacked in punch, he certainly made up for in storytelling. His had the most clarity and held interest the easiest.

all had great acting, though Chabrol's was deliberately more caricatured than the others, who stuck heavily to realism.

Anyway, please discuss some other films by these folks. I'm hungy to see and hear more about them.

What a wonderful, prolific time for movies (France 1959-mid 70's).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

cine

I've seen just a bit of Rohmer and I really like his films.. but how about Louis Malle? I've seen his "My Dinner With Andre" and I loved it. Not a french film, of course but he's one of the directors of that era.

Ravi

Isn't My Dinner with Andre just two people talking over dinner?  Seems rather uncinematic.  I always see it at the library but haven't rented it.

cine

Ah, yes, the premise doesn't look promising on paper, but give it a try and let me know what you think.

Ernie

There is not a single cutaway in the movie? Wow, I never knew that. That's crazy.

I've always wanted to check out some Rohmer and Chabrol...Melville too. I'm such a fan of Godard and Truffaut, it seems essential to look for more. I've been obsessed with My Life To Live in particular, I gotta buy that...Anna Karina is a godess.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: SoNowThenVarda had the most exciting style, and some great shots.

Agnes Varda is a fuckin treat...I found out about her because she was married to Jacques Demy ("Lola" 1961), with his one and only real gem of a film..it got me interested enough to find out more about him-leading me to discover her anyway.  I believe she scored some of his early musicals as well....Including her own film "Cleo From 5 to 7"...I've only seen that & "The Vagabond" but they are both truly great films, i think Cleo From 5 to 7 exceptionally.

SoNowThen

Quote from: ebeamanThere is not a single cutaway in the movie? Wow, I never knew that. That's crazy.

I've always wanted to check out some Rohmer and Chabrol...Melville too. I'm such a fan of Godard and Truffaut, it seems essential to look for more. I've been obsessed with My Life To Live in particular, I gotta buy that...Anna Karina is a godess.

So true. No wonder Godard became such a force in world cinema, look at the muse he had.

Definitely see as much Melville as possible, Ebs. He's all about pure fun filmmaking.

I didn't really get the Chabrol flick I watched at first, but then I read a review on it at www.culturevulture.net, and it really put it in perspective.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pwaybloe

I'm a big Bunuel fan, so I'm gonna count his "The Exterminating Angel," "Diary of a Chambermaid," "Belle de Jour," and "Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie" as part of the New Wave.

I also have a healthy fascination with 60's French actresses:

mutinyco

I like Bunuel too, but he has nothing to do with the French New Wave.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

MrBurgerKing

I love the operas of Truffaut, specifically The 400 Blows, okay I admit I only made this post because I wanted to see my new av and sig

Pwaybloe

Quote from: mutinycoI like Bunuel too, but he has nothing to do with the French New Wave.

I bet my Dad can beat up your Dad.

AK

When i think about french directors always come to my mind the (i guess) most famous trio:Godard, Truffaut and Tati, but i consider the masters of Noir Films Clousot, Melville, Bresson,Chabrol and Dassin the best on it ....all their movies are a real class of cinemathography , direction  and invention...

Like Riffi, the steal sequence is a master piece...or pickpocket and Le Samourai...

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: CinephileI've seen just a bit of Rohmer and I really like his films.. but how about Louis Malle? I've seen his "My Dinner With Andre" and I loved it. Not a french film, of course but he's one of the directors of that era.

fucked murphy brown, and during that dan quayle controversy she wanted him louis to stuff potatos up her ass, she said so in " vibe" magazine

cine

Well if that was true, I guess it isn't so unbelievable since she has ventriloquist 'brothers'.

Peeping Thom

Quote from: SoNowThenAnyway, please discuss some other films by these folks. I'm hungy to see and hear more about them.

What a wonderful, prolific time for movies (France 1959-mid 70's).

You should try Jean Eustache's movies. He was an amazing filmmaker of imediate post-New Wave, with an amazing life, friend of Rohmer, Rivette and Pialat, made one of his movies with non-used reels of Godard's Masculin-FĂ©minin (I don't know the english title, sorry...), died by his own hand in 1981...

You have to watch all of the films he made. Personnally, I loved Une sale histoire.

Here are some links in english language about him (for those who don't know him). Hope you'll enjoy.

http://www.frenchculture.org/cinema/festival/eustache/

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/00/11/eustache.html

http://www.filmlinc.com/archive/programs/11-2000/eustache/eustache.htm