Aaron Sorkin's The Newsroom

Started by ono, May 16, 2012, 07:41:29 PM

polkablues

Quote from: ©brad on August 29, 2013, 12:12:45 AM
I'm warming up to this show. The last episode was kind of great. The direction continues to suck though, and the camerawork is awful. It's like a bunch of first year film students tried to replicate The Office. I feel Sorkin was best served when Fincher was at the helm. He knew when the mount the camera to let the dialogue (which is why we're all here) shine and when to do cool, jerk off montage-y sequences that remind us what decade we're living in. All these snap-zooms and pointless glides and pans don't add the suspense or verite they're no doubt aiming for. Stylistically it feels like a clueless baby boomer's attempt to be hip. The show is so dorky and unintentionally kitschy, why not just embrace that.

But it's getting good. 

I agree. Except for the awful Africa subplot, this season has been pretty great.

As for the direction, they need to get Thomas Schlamme in there. He made West Wing what it was just as much as Sorkin did.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

'Newsroom' Renewed for Third and Final Season
Variety also learns Aaron Sorkin has turned in script for Sony's Steve Jobs biopic
Source: Variety

Almost four months after its season two finale, "Newsroom" has been renewed by HBO for a third and final season.

"'The Newsroom' is classic Aaron Sorkin – smart, riveting and thought-provoking," said HBO topper Michael Lombardo. "I'm sure this farewell season will be one to remember."

HBO brass had been hopeful about the media drama's return since last summer, though spent months in negotiations with series creator Aaron Sorkin discussing scheduling and his other showbiz commitments. Topliner Jeff Daniels — who won an Emmy in 2013 for his portrayal of Will McAvoy in "Newsroom" — tweeted prematurely in September that the show had been renewed, only to then have to backtrack once HBO established that an official season three order had not been made.

After that, the show had been seemingly hanging in the balance, with many outlets reminding their readers time to time that "Newsroom" had not yet been renewed.

With the season three order now official, Variety has also confirmed that Sorkin has turned in script for Sony's Steve Jobs biopic, which Sorkin was tapped to pen in spring 2012.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Robyn

was this worth it? :ponder:
haven't seen it yet and I want to start watching something good.

Drenk

Ascension.

Robyn

polkablues

It has its moments, but ultimately it's so lacking in self-awareness that it ends up feeling like a lazy spoof of an Aaron Sorkin show.
My house, my rules, my coffee

©brad

Watch Mr. Robot. Or Fargo. Or the Americans. Or Horace and Pete.

ono

Season three was really redemptive of the trainwreck that was the first two seasons.  But by then it was too little too late.  That it's only six episodes really helps.