2018 Xixax Awards - Nominate!

Started by Jeremy Blackman, December 29, 2017, 06:09:28 PM

Jeremy Blackman

The Basics

We're continuing with our simplified process:

• In this thread, members suggest nominations in whatever fashion they choose.
  • Admins & mods will decide final nominees in an authoritarian yet benevolent fashion, largely drawing on this thread.
  • We'll post polls for each category, and that will be the final vote.

Let's get started! We'd like to get public nominations done in just a week or two, so don't delay!

Post your nominations here, in any format or quantity you'd like. Doesn't matter. You don't even need to read the rest of this post. Make several posts if you want; post what you can think of now, and come back for more later.

Further Guidance (optional to read)

Is there an underrated film you're especially passionate about, or an incredible performance that no one is discussing? We're especially interested in those unusual choices to fill out categories. If you'd rather keep it private, you can PM me nominations.

TV categories are the same as the last two years. If you need to review how they work:

QuoteOur one-hour/half-hour division is meant to roughly divide dramas from comedies. (Longer shows can go in one-hour.) For "Best TV Performance," simply nominate an actor in a thing (not a specific scene or episode). For Best TV Episode, we do want to get more specific. If you're not sure if a TV show is eligible, ask here; but we're going by common sense rules, i.e. did it mostly air in 2017?

This will be our third year with "Most Disappointing Film." Remember, it's not Worst Film. What were you genuinely disappointed by in 2017? What was supposed to be good or great but just wasn't? This is for the heartbreakers.

Here are the categories. Suggest nominations for whatever you want — one, two, or all of them.

Best Film
Best Director

Best Female Performance
Best Male Performance
Best Cast
Best Minor Role Performance

Best Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Original Music
Best Debut Film
Best Documentary
Best Film Poster
Most Disappointing Film
Best Film of 2016 - Redux

Best One-Hour TV Show
Best Half-Hour TV Show
Best TV Performance
Best TV Episode

For movies released in 2017, consult this list! (That should be mostly accurate, but we can stray when necessary.)

Jeremy Blackman

First, just wanted to reference this for Best Poster:

https://www.subtraction.com/2017/12/29/notable-movie-posters-of-2017/

wilder

The Oscar-nominated screenplays are online as PDFs

wilberfan

Quote from: wilder on January 30, 2018, 03:30:34 PM
The Oscar-nominated screenplays are online as PDFs

I've often wondered if these are actual shooting scripts--or something special put together after the release of the film.  Something more polished and that matches the finished product more closely.

[edit]  And not a Phantom Thread among them.

wilder

PT mentioned something in one of the interviews that the final Phantom Thread shooting script was around 110 pages or so, and the printed for-your-consideration version is only 82 (frogs), so yeah it makes me wonder.

Alethia

I have a copy of the 82-page For Your Consideration draft - it definitely reads like a PTA shooting script (grammatical madness and typos galore) and there are a few additional moments/quirky delights not in the final cut.... The draft they released for The Master was a quite early version... How much input does PTA have in this department?

Drenk

For The Master they released the script that had leaked. I only see trolling...
Ascension.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Jeremy Blackman

The Basics

We're continuing with our simplified process:

• In this thread, members suggest nominations in whatever fashion they choose.
  • Admins & mods will decide final nominees in an authoritarian yet benevolent fashion, largely drawing on this thread.
  • We'll post polls for each category, and that will be the final vote.

Let's get started! We'd like to get public nominations done in just a week or two, so don't delay!

Post your nominations here, in any format or quantity you'd like. Doesn't matter. You don't even need to read the rest of this post. Make several posts if you want; post what you can think of now, and come back for more later.

Further Guidance (optional to read)

Is there an underrated film you're especially passionate about, or an incredible performance that no one is discussing? We're especially interested in those unusual choices to fill out categories. If you'd rather keep it private, you can PM me nominations.

TV categories are the same as the last two years. If you need to review how they work:

QuoteOur one-hour/half-hour division is meant to roughly divide dramas from comedies. (Longer shows can go in one-hour.) For "Best TV Performance," simply nominate an actor in a thing (not a specific scene or episode). For Best TV Episode, we do want to get more specific. If you're not sure if a TV show is eligible, ask here; but we're going by common sense rules, i.e. did it mostly air in 2017?

This will be our third year with "Most Disappointing Film." Remember, it's not Worst Film. What were you genuinely disappointed by in 2017? What was supposed to be good or great but just wasn't? This is for the heartbreakers.

Here are the categories. Suggest nominations for whatever you want — one, two, or all of them.

Best Film
Best Director

Best Female Performance
Best Male Performance
Best Cast
Best Minor Role Performance

Best Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Original Music
Best Debut Film
Best Documentary
Best Film Poster
Most Disappointing Film
Best Film of 2016 - Redux

Best One-Hour TV Show
Best Half-Hour TV Show
Best TV Performance
Best TV Episode

For movies released in 2017, consult this list! (That should be mostly accurate, but we can stray when necessary.)

polkablues

Best Debut Film:

(Raw)

Most Disappointing:

Best One-Hour TV Show:

Best Film:
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Is everyone catching up? Pretty much everything should be on VOD now.

Personally I need to see I, Tonya and Ladybird, then I'll have a mostly complete list.

polkablues

I should probably watch Phantom Thread at some point maybe.
My house, my rules, my coffee

csage97

Best Film: The Florida Project
Best Female Performance: Vicky Krieps
Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins - Blade Runner; Hoyte Van Hoytema - Dunkirk;
Best Score: Jonny Greenwood - Phantom Thread
Most Disappointing Film: The Last Jedi

Drenk

Best Film: Phantom Thread, The Florida Project, Call Me By Your Name, A Ghost Story, 120 battements par minute, The Lost City of Z, mother!, Dunkirk

Best Director: Paul Thomas Anderson, Christopher Nolan, Luca Guadagnino.

Best Debut Film: Raw.

Best Male Performance: Daniel Day-Lewis, Timothée Chalamet, Gary Oldman, no, I'm just kidding, have you seen him begging for his Oscar in that movie, it's not even "most acting" it goes against the concept of acting, it's like a seizure of some kind, Daniel Kaluuya (I don't like Get Out as much as everyone else, but his performance is what is standing out for me. A powerful, subtle performance.)

Best Female Performance: Brooklynn Prince—The Florida Project, Vicky Krieps—Phantom Thread.

Best Score: Jonny Greenwood—Phantom Thread. Come on.

Best Cast: Phantom Thread, Call Me By Your Name, 120 battements par minute.

Best Minor Role Performance: Michael Stuhlbarg—Call Me By Your Name.

Best Screenplay: Phantom Thread.

Best One-Hour TV Show: Twin Peaks: The Return, The Leftovers.

Best Half Hour TV Show: Rick & Morty, Bojack Horseman.

Best TV Performance: Kyle MacLachlan.

Best TV Episode: Part 8, Part 18—Twin Peaks, The Book of Nora—The Leftovers.

Ascension.

wilder

Best Actor - Barry Keoghan, The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Best Minor Role Performance - Carla Juri, Blade Runner 2049

or

Quote from: Drenk on March 17, 2018, 05:17:08 PMBest Minor Role Performance: Michael Stuhlbarg—Call Me By Your Name.