I Love a Photography

Started by I Love a Magician, December 08, 2005, 02:16:22 AM

The Perineum Falcon

Goddamn, I really love the first one!

and the shitted up colors don't bother me at all with these.

Is nice!
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

md

your stepdad looks like Kurt Vonnegut. 
"look hard at what pleases you and even harder at what doesn't" ~ carolyn forche

Chest Rockwell

Wow, and didn't you say you thought you would just stick with old men around where you live?

It's fashiony (or I can only assume such since you haven't talked about it) and the sunset/glare is kind of lame in theory, this definitely shows some technical mastery. Seriously, good use of a flash/lighting set-up. When I first started using artificial lighting I tended to use too much, which flattened the image and made everything unnaturally even... good to keep it seemingly from one direction and kind of soft. There's one of those buzzwords that applies to this image, "sculptural", which basically means your image makes it look like it actually exists (as opposed to being just a flat surface). Impressive stuff, man.

I actually have a lot more fun with totally staged photography rather than photojournalistic photography. How do you feel about it?

matt35mm

That kicks a huge wad of ass.

That's good.

I Love a Magician

thanks dude. this was one of the pictures i used for my final portfolio in lighting class. i got the idea (taking the sky orange and all that) while i was failing horribly at my fashion assignment. through this lighting class i've really started to like fashion type stuff and just portraits in general.

i had that same problem of overlighting stuff as well when i started using lights. i'd take a picture and be like, "well there's a shadow here by the nose" and just flatten the fuck out of it. i try not to do that now because it suffocates the picture of any depth it might have. i've been trying lately to do more natural looking light (unless it's like the last picture i posted which is obviously set up with lights and all) and give stuff an almost ambient look. here's an example of something i did like that:

it's not a really "wow" type thing but i like it. when i do a more lit picture like the sunset thing i like to go more over the top with it.

but i definitely have a better time with this staged type photography. i like not having the worry about disrupting the moment or whatever. just get an idea and do it.

do you have any photo sites you think i should check out?

edit: thanks matt

I Love a Magician

what's up dogs. made myself a very minimalist website with most all of my good pictures. a lot of portraits and wrestling pictures. let me know what you think.

http://www.danielchasepeach.com/

matt35mm

As I said on Facebook, those are all really damned good.  I think I also said that I'm half-white with hearty thumbs.

RegularKarate

These are pretty damned great.  I wish I could find someone here that could take photos like these for my troupe.

Pedro

I really like all of these! 

Philip Seymour Hoffman??

matt35mm

Philip Seymour Hoffman and Josh Brolin's love child.

I Love a Magician

ha, that's bad ass billy gunn. he used to be a big time wrestler in the wwf. i guess he goes around doing these small independent wrestling shows now. the life.

Neil

it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

mogwai

Very good work. Do you use any directions to the people when you do portraits? And where in the u.s. was these pics shot?