Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

puddnanners

Coincidentally enough, I am going to a screening of the remastered Battle of Algiers tonight...I'm fucking psyhed!  It's a movie that has been on my "to see" list for a long time, so now I can finally scratch if off.

cine

Quote from: Find Your MagaliWonder if PTA will be included among the directors commenting on Algiers. He really should be. ...
You know who really should be?   Greedo.

Ravi

Quote from: puddnannersCoincidentally enough, I am going to a screening of the remastered Battle of Algiers tonight...I'm fucking psyhed!  It's a movie that has been on my "to see" list for a long time, so now I can finally scratch if off.

Doesn't play here till May 14, dagnabit.

Gold Trumpet

David Lean Criterions to go OOP soon?

Appearing on the Digital Bits' "Rumor Mill" today....

"Speaking of MGM... we've got a heads-up on some of the titles the studio is tentatively planning for September release. Look for a Judgement at Nuremberg: Special Edition, a David Lean Collection featuring Blithe Spirit, Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, In Which We Serve, Madeleine, Oliver Twist, Passionate Friends and This Happy Breed."

With announcements of major companies to release new dvds of old Criterions, comes the likelihood rights have expired for Criterion so, for me, it is likely that very soon all the David Lean films are going OOP. They were MGM anyways and Criterion has already lost so many films to this same deal. Buy them while you still can!

modage

i keep going back and forth over whether i actually want Brief Encounter or not.  i liked it, but i'm hesitant to own it.  although, going OOP pushes me in that direction.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

godardian

Quote from: themodernage02i keep going back and forth over whether i actually want Brief Encounter or not.  i liked it, but i'm hesitant to own it.  although, going OOP pushes me in that direction.

Oh, it's sooooo good! You really have to own it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

In the catalog to The Tin Drum dvd, Ozu's Early Summer has been confirmed as spine # 240 and will likely be released in July. Expect more July releases to be announced shortly.

Gold Trumpet

July releases are up with a box set from Jean Renoir leading the way (all of the individual film covers yet have box art, just the box). The other new annoucement is Marcel Carne's Port of Shadows. Ozu's Early Summer was put up on the site but then taken down almost immediately. Don't know what the story is for that but expect more news and all the covers up soon.

Renoir box set:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/boxed_set.asp?id=241

Port of Shadows:
http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=247

The Renoir box set is a must, likely sizing up to be a big dvd release when Criterion is done listing all the special features to it. Port of Shadows will be a toss up given the word on it before it comes out. And when Early Summer is finally up, it'll be a must too.

SoNowThen

I'd like to hear some specific opinions on the Renoir films. I'm considering a blind buy, and have so far enjoyed the two of his I've seen (Rules and Grand Illusion).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

samsong

Quote from: SoNowThenI'd like to hear some specific opinions on the Renoir films. I'm considering a blind buy, and have so far enjoyed the two of his I've seen (Rules and Grand Illusion).

I'm reading Truffaut's The Films in My Life right now and just finished up the Renoir section.  He called The Golden Coach Renoir's masterpiece ("the noblest and most refined film ever made") and speaks adoringly about the other two.  As for me, had I not read that part of the book, I still would've blind bought simply because it's Renoir.

Criterion seriously needs to drop their retail price 50%....  I won't have any money for the next few months.   :(

cine

Quote from: The Gold TrumpetOzu's Early Summer was put up on the site but then taken down almost immediately.
Well if it was taken down, it's back up.

Ravi

Quote from: samsong
Criterion seriously needs to drop their retail price 50%....  I won't have any money for the next few months.   :(

Xixax is paying for all those restored HD transfers.

Gold Trumpet

MAJOR NEWS:

Courtesy of www.criterionco.com

John Cassavetes Box Set Slated for Fall 2004

Criterion is preparing a boxed set of five films by legendary American independent John Cassavetes. In addition to new high-definition transfers of Shadows, Faces, A Woman Under the Influence, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie and Opening Night, the set will include Charles Kiselyak's award-winning 200 minute documentary, A Constant Forge, along with exclusive new interviews with Cassavetes collaborators Gena Rowlands, Peter Falk, Ben Gazzara, Seymour Cassel, Lelia Goldoni, and others. The set is slated for fall release. Watch this space for more details

ono

If one film averages around, what, $30 from Criterion, one can only imagine how expensive this is going to be.  Probably somewhere between $150 and $180?  Still, sounds interesting.  It'd be nice if they'd release it for under $100, though.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: OnomatopitaIf one film averages around, what, $30 from Criterion, one can only imagine how expensive this is going to be.  Probably somewhere between $150 and $180?  Still, sounds interesting.  It'd be nice if they'd release it for under $100, though.

It'll probably go for $100. No other box set has been more expensive than that and Adventures of Antoine Doinel was a pretty stacked box set (likely very comparable to how big this one will be). So, if you go through online retailers, you can get it around $80 or so.