sigur ros & mogwai

Started by abbey road, May 20, 2003, 11:21:23 AM

abbey road

i LOVE sigor ros and mogwai, and i was just wondering if anyone could suggest some other bands similar to them, or just some good music.

thanx
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"

children with angels

Silver Mount Zion (offshoot of Godspeed You) - Absolutely beautiful. Less apocolyptic than Godspeed.

Arab Strap. Good friends with Mogwai - similar guitar sound, but they have a drunk Scottish guy basically reading his diary over the music.

Mum. Another beautiful Icelandic band: imagine new Radiohead beats with two toned-down Bjorks singing the sweetest sounding melodies over the top of Sigur Ros' piano sound.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsSilver Mount Zion (offshoot of Godspeed You) - Absolutely beautiful. Less apocolyptic than Godspeed.

Arab Strap. Good friends with Mogwai - similar guitar sound, but they have a drunk Scottish guy basically reading his diary over the music.

Mum. Another beautiful Icelandic band: imagine new Radiohead beats with two toned-down Bjorks singing the sweetest sounding melodies over the top of Sigur Ros' piano sound.

Oooh, I love Arab Strap. First got into them through the Glasgow Scene/Belle and Sebastian connection (The Boy with the Arab Strap).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

I think the bearded guy's name is Angus something... he's the sad, vitriolic diary-reader. He is also naked (in a drawing) on the back of AS's 1998 album, Philophobia, my personal favorite of theirs. The cover has a naked drawing of one of his bandmates...

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Dirk

Other great "post rock" bands: Tarentel, Album Leaf, Giardini di Miro (very nice but hard to find)
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

godardian

Quote from: mogwaiAidan Moffat

In my head, I call him Groundskeeper Willie.

children with angels

How about Sparklehorse...?
Quite different style from what we've been talking about, but everyone I know who loves the bands discussed previously (including me) loves 'em... Beautiful, country-inspired weirdness.

This also prompts me to think of Lambchop, a band I cannot believe no one has set up a thread for. In fact... :wink:
"We always do..."

Mesh

Give Kinski a shot.  Their new album (just out on Sub Pop) plays with a handful of post-rock styles: everything from Mogwai to Tortoise to Godspeed to Sonic Youth.  Decent record.

Mum is a good suggestion for Sigur Ros lovers.

Also, look into a band called Mono on the Arena Rock label.

Sleuth

I like to hug dogs

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsHow about Sparklehorse...?
Quite different style from what we've been talking about, but everyone I know who loves the bands discussed previously (including me) loves 'em... Beautiful, country-inspired weirdness.

This also prompts me to think of Lambchop, a band I cannot believe no one has set up a thread for. In fact... :wink:

I really love Sparklehorse. I was once supposed to see them open for Mazzy Star, but he got sick and some crap local band opened. A couple years later, saw them headline a Portland punk club. Played the whole set with a pig mask on. A tremendous live performance.

Fave 'horse tunes:

"Homecoming Queen"

"Painbirds"

"Pig"

"Eyepennies"

godardian

Isn't the group Mum pictured on this album cover...?

...I also really like Low, esp. Secret Name.

Mesh

Quote from: godardian
I really love Sparklehorse. I was once supposed to see them open for Mazzy Star, but he got sick and some crap local band opened. A couple years later, saw them headline a Portland punk club. Played the whole set with a pig mask on. A tremendous live performance.

I saw him open for Tortoise in Chicago.  Can't remember the first song he did (something from It's A Wonderful Life), but it was accompanied by a film of Mark, standing naked in a rushing river.  As he sang the song on stage, in the film the camera scrolled across his body and limbs, on which the lyrics to the song were scrawled in black.  Very Flaming Lips; very amazing.  Breathtaking.

children with angels

Oh my God! I never realised about that Belle and Sebastian album cover...! Fuck me...! I think that is them, you know... They don't look as sweet as they normally do there... Their looks and personalities in real life are exactly what you'd expect from their voices (I met them after a gig in Toronto - they were lovely. Gave my friends and I a free album)...
"We always do..."

godardian

Quote from: children with angelsOh my God! I never realised about that Belle and Sebastian album cover...! Fuck me...! I think that is them, you know... They don't look as sweet as they normally do there... Their looks and personalities in real life are exactly what you'd expect from their voices (I met them after a gig in Toronto - they were lovely. Gave my friends and I a free album)...

Which commercially available recordings would your recommended Mum start kit consist of?

children with angels

They've only released two albums as far as I'm aware. My favourite is 'Finally We Are No One', as it's got more of their beautiful voices on than 'Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today is Okay', which is more straight-forward, child-like sweet electronica...

On the subject of gorgeous, child-like, foreign voices: Stina Nordenstam, anyone...?
"We always do..."