Canon XL?

Started by imawombat, May 29, 2007, 09:19:01 PM

imawombat

Hey guys,

I need some help as I'm looking to buy a Canon XL (or something similar) camera for an upcoming project.  I really don't know as much as I need to know and am doing research, but wanted to see what you all think.  What is the best camera for around $3000 or so?  What would you get with this type of budget?

Thanks in advance...
these things do happen

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

imawombat

Thanks for that link.  I've heard that the XL-1 is bad.  I should have specified...I meant the XL-2.  Any better?  Anyone have one?  Everything I've heard thus far is good but I trust Xixaxers the most.
these things do happen

Reinhold

what are you editing on?

for less than $3k you could get a dvx-100 and be very satisfied with the image quality and color.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

john

I was about to recommend the DVX-100

I got one after three separate, glowing, recommendations.

Beautiful in 30 or 24p, wonderful color. Just great all around.

Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

imawombat

Hmmm...I hadn't considered that. Many thanks!
these things do happen

Redlum

At the end of the day all these cameras are going to be miniDV. It's the same format, some colour space, same compression. Any discrepencies are going to be negligible with some colour correction.

My experience of the Canon XL2 and DVX-100 is pretty much the same. Bot have the native 16:9 chip and progressive shooting, which is most important. I prefer the XL design for handheld and also just generally - its just more substantial and the lens is a big plus.  But for me it would probably be price that swayed it.

\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Ravi

I read a review of the DVX-100 that said it had a noisy zoom mechanism.  Is it true?

Reinhold

Quote from: Ravi on June 15, 2007, 03:03:16 PM
I read a review of the DVX-100 that said it had a noisy zoom mechanism.  Is it true?

i don't know anybody who's had trouble with that. can you link to the review?
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

Ravi

Quote from: Reinhold on June 15, 2007, 08:39:17 PM
Quote from: Ravi on June 15, 2007, 03:03:16 PM

i don't know anybody who's had trouble with that. can you link to the review?

Cnet review from 2002

Reinhold

the dvxuser forum review mentions that the 100B has an improved zoom mechanism. i don't know if that was specifically addressed, but i can't really think of when a zoom motor could be so annoyingly loud that you couldn't shoot around the problem (manually) or just zap the noise out in post.

this review is for the first dvx100. as far as i know there are three models of dvx100 out there.

cnet review from 2006

in either case the zoom noise didn't make it into the "cons" category in the second review.

Ravi

Could someone recommend a good hard case for the XL-2?