So Far This Year 2005 (LP Version)...

Started by modage, June 30, 2005, 01:32:42 PM

RegularKarate

Quote from: squints on December 20, 2005, 08:14:27 PM
8. Man Man - The Man In a Blue Turbin With a Face
I think this album may have come out in 2004 but i just heard about it at the beginning of the year and it is magnificent. they came to oklahoma city recently and put on a fantastic show. its as if tom waits and the beatles had a very ugly baby.

It was 2004, otherwise it would have been on my list too, if only for the amazing show they put on when I saw them (I don't think the album is nearly as impressive as the live show was).

I described it as Tom Waits meets Mr. Bungle singing pirate songs.

Also, are you from OKC?  I'm originally from Norman.

polkablues

2 out of 3 Ryan Adams albums, 1 out of 2 Bright Eyes albums, Eisley's "Room Noises", Decemberists' "Picaresque", Black Lab's "See the Sun", Feeder's "Pushing the Senses", the Eels' "Blinking Lights", Stereophonics' "Sex Language Violence Other?", the Coheed & Cambria album that just came out with the title that I don't feel like typing, Paloalto's "Heroes & Villains", that Devendra Banhart album that everyone else put on their lists, and Mike Doughty's "Haughty Melodic", which should be on everyone else's lists.

Plus "The Best of the Beta Band", and the four or five albums that I can't think of right now.
My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 22, 2005, 03:29:07 PM
It was 2004, otherwise it would have been on my list too, if only for the amazing show they put on when I saw them (I don't think the album is nearly as impressive as the live show was).

I described it as Tom Waits meets Mr. Bungle singing pirate songs.

Also, are you from OKC?  I'm originally from Norman.

Correction: they were actually in Norman not OKC in November
I'm from stillwater and i try to catch any good show around...10 lb moustache is awesome, the video is pretty interesting
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Pubrick

surprisingly good things in a cursed year.

13 & God - self titled
i endorse every single track on this, instantly and endlessly replayable.

the next awesome foursome

Princess Superstar - my machine
i've added a nice picture cos the cover is hideous. a fun, uncategorizable concept album in the vein of Deltron 3030 and Dr Octagonecolygist featuring PS as the only celebrity in the world, ordering ten thousand clones to write ten thousand hits.. to make me rich, okay bitch? with only one potentially annoying track (coochie coo) she keeps up the excellent track record from her previous albums. in an otherwise kanye-flooded year in hip hop, this and the above entry were like water to my musically-parched Gerry.

sigur ros - takk
in the spirit of listing, and as a delayed response to life_boy, i rank this fittingly at 1.5 in their catalogue, between 1-AB and 2-( ). with von a distant third if on the charts at all.

cat power - the greatest
like crono has said, chan finally lives up to her potential. probably would've been number 1 if i wasn't on an electroambihop kick. (disclaimer: i made up a word and hav no idea what it means either)

maria taylor - 11:11
despite hearing one of these songs at the end of Grey's Anatomy , it still scratches that female vocalist itch i always seem to have.

and five more i thought were great

imogen heap - speak for yourself // camille - le fil // smog - a river ain't too much to love // m83 - before the dawn heals us // mew and the glass handed kites

highlights: ^hide and seek            ^pour que l'amour me quitte       ^rock bottom riser                      ^ *                                                ^white lips kissed                   

havn't heard:
danger doom

the best tracks of the year not mentioned above from albums i also liked
antony + the johnsons track 01 hope there's someone from the album i am a bird now

architecture in helsinki track 06 do the whirlwind from the album in case we die

blackalicious track 14 the craft from the album the craft

bloc party track 10 so here we are from the album silent alarm

clor track 07 dangerzone from the album clor

orenda fink track 04 blind asylum from the album invisible ones

royksopp track 07 what else is there from the album the understanding
under the paving stones.