Best Cinematography

Started by Jeremy Blackman, March 05, 2003, 11:07:18 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Best Cinematography: PUNCH-DRUNK LOVE  (Robert Elswit)

THE NOMINEES

Gangs of New York (Michael Ballhaus)
Minority Report (Janusz Kaminski)
Panic Room (Conrad Hall & Darius Khondji)
Punch-Drunk Love (Robert Elswit)
Road to Perdition (Conrad Hall)

SHAFTR

NOPE, I disagree.

Road to Perdition was amazing for it's cinematography, absolutely amazing.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

jtm

Quote from: SHAFTRNOPE, I disagree.

Same here.

RegularKarate

RTP had great cinematography, but PDL's cinematography was more unique and emotional.

Duck Sauce

RTP had more of a textbook cinematograhy feel to it, it was great but PDL's was so dream like.

supremelegend

Even though I love PDL and Robert Elswit's cinematography, the award should definately go to RTP...the ambush scene in the rain at night was simply breathtaking...

av8raaron

The rain and a couple other night shots in RTP were good, but the "painting with light" in PDL makes me give it the nod.
Fresh buttered toast.

tpfkabi

what do you mean by "painting with light?"

i would have voted for Conrad...RIP
i wonder if the shot of Hanks as he walks down the hall to kill Connor is lifted a little from Taxi Driver.....had that type of shot been done before TD?

i also wondered what paired PTA and Elswitt together? a particular film he shot prior to Hard Eight or something else?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Film Student

Jesus... Okay guys, I love PDL too, I think its a great movie, but every single film nominated (including panic room) had better cinematography.
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

RegularKarate

Quote from: Film StudentJesus... Okay guys, I love PDL too, I think its a great movie, but every single film nominated (including panic room) had better cinematography.

I can see an argument between RTP and PDL and maybe all the others too, but not Panic Room.

PR had two cinematographers and two different times... Khonji left because he and Fincher were disagreeing about what should be done and Hall had to come in and conform his art to match with what Khonji had already shot.  The result looks a bit indecisive.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: Film StudentJesus... Okay guys, I love PDL too, I think its a great movie, but every single film nominated (including panic room) had better cinematography.

You can take the members out of the PTanderson board, but you cant take the PTanderson board out of the members.

Dirk

This is probably the biggest upset for me. I saw nothing too spectacular for PDL but every shot in Perdition was beautifully shot  :?
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SHAFTRNOPE, I disagree.

had my vote as well....

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

life_boy

As did I.  It must've been a pretty close race.