Essential 80's songs

Started by Ernie, April 07, 2003, 03:09:04 PM

phil marlowe

i must say that i think the majority of the queen albums suck. the only albums i really enjoy is a night at the opera and sheer heart attack and maybe the game, the rest ive allways seen as a load of semi-shitty albums with a couple of great tracks on them.

so normally, if i want to listen to queen, i put on the greatest hits pt one.

MacGuffin

You are asking the connoisseur of 80's music.

Not even scratching the surface, but:

Oh Yeah - Yello (couldn't think of Ferris Bueller without it)
What I Like About You - The Romantics
Love And Pride - King
Pop Muzik - M
Dancing In Heaven (Orbital Be-Bop) - Q-Feel
C'est La Vie - Robbie Nevil
Let's Go All The Way - Sly Fox
Harley David (Son Of A Bitch) - Bollock Brothers
Town Called Malice - The Jam
Something About You - Level 42
Smalltown Boy - Bronski Beat
(We Don't Need This) Fascist Groove Thing/Let Me Go - Heaven 17
Pump Up The Volume - M/A/R/R/S
Two Tribes - Frankie Goes To Holywood
Two Of Hearts - Stacey Q
Rockit - Herbie Hancock
Puttin' On The Ritz - Taco
Somebody's watching Me - Rockwell
Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles
Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
Pass The Dutchie - Musical Youth
Mexican Radio - Wall Of Voodoo
Fish Heads - Barnes & Barnes
Kinko The Clown - Ogden Edsl
The Fanatic - Felony
Jukebox (Don't Put Another Dime) - The Flirts
Make A Curcuit With Me - The Polecats
Everywhere That I'm Not - Translator
Total Eclipse Of The Heart - Bonnie Tyler
Don't You Want Me/Human - Human League
Sex Dwarf - Soft Cell
Up All Night/I Don't Like Mondays - Boomtown Rats
Big In Japan/Forever Young - Alphaville
Kiss Me With Your Mouth - Tin Tin Duffy
Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor
I Love A Man In A Uniform - Gang Of Four
West End Girls/Opportunities - Pet Shop Boys
Whisper To A Scream - Icicle Works
Da Da Da - Trio
In A Big Country - Big Country
We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off - Jermaine Stewart
Word Up - Cameo
Electric Avenue - Eddy Grant
Twilight Zone -Golden Earring
I Ran - A Flock Of Seagulls
Kids In America - Kim Wilde
Valley Girl - Moon Unit Zappa
I KNow What Boys Like - The Waitresses
I Can't Wait - Nu Shooz
Genius Of Love - Tom Tom Club
Desire - Gene Loves Jezebel
Unbelieveable - EMF
Right Here, Right Now - Jesus Jones
Major Tom - Peter Schilling
Love Missile F1-11 - Sigue Sigue Sputnik
Anything, Anything - Dramarama
Ghost Town - The Specials
It's My Life/Talk Talk - Talk Talk
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ernie

Wow, thank you to everyone...especially cecil and macguffin, thanks so much. Be my guest to post more...especially Macguffin, you are a god man...we share a taste in music. Post some more awesome songs if there are more (you said you only scratched the surface).

phil marlowe

Quote from: ebeaman69Post some more awesome songs if there are more (you said you only scratched the surface).
yeah, can we do a sigue sigue sputnik top hundred? ten aint enough.

moonshiner

Quote from: MacGuffinCome On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners

Couldn't think of Tommy Boy without it.

Quote from: MacGuffinI Ran - A Flock Of Seagulls

This song's making a comeback, very infectious...

And ebeaman69 have to give you credit, a sports avatar, a grossly overlooked conversation piece on xixax.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Cecil

thats cause sports are boring

Sigur Rós

Quote from: cecil b. dementedthats cause sports are boring

no.....cricket aint  :-D

Ernie

Quote from: moonshiner
And ebeaman69 have to give you credit, a sports avatar, a grossly overlooked conversation piece on xixax.

Thanks man...I was sort of running out of ideas for movie/music ones...thought it would be cool to show some love for Syracuse...final 4 champs baby.  8)

Don't give me too much credit too fast though. College basketball is like the only sport I watch frequently and always enjoy. The only football game I watch is the super bowl. I'll play any sport for fun but I don't watch them too often. I do think basketball is great in everyway though...for fun, for exercise, watching on tv, going to games, everything...it's definitely one of my loves...it's more than a sport.

Anybody remember the song "basketball jones" by cheech and chong? I fucking love that song.

bonanzataz

Here's a mix cd of 80's songs I made.

1. lionel richie - all night long
2. prince - kiss
3. Blacksheep - this or that
4. Buggles - video killed the radio star
5. INXS - I need you tonight
6. Talking Heads - Same As It Ever Was
7. Jermaine Stewart - We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off (To Have A Good Time)
8. Prince - Raspberry Beret
9. Cars - Just What I needed
10. Devo - Whip It
11. Joan Jett - Crimson and Clover
12. Ramones - I wanna be sedated
13. David Bowie - let's dance
14. Madonna - Material Girl
15. Michael Jackson - Dirty Diana
16. Supertramp - Give a little bit
17. Squeeze - Pulling Mussels
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

MacGuffin

I haven't even touched upon

Siousxie and the Banshees
The Cure
Devo
Bauhaus
Echo & The Bunnyman
The Art Of Noise
Billy Idol
Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music
Talking Heads
Wham
Eurythimics
Duran Duran
Bow Wow Wow
XTC
B-52's
The Go-Go's
J. Geils Band
The Cult
Joe Jackson
Pat Benetar
Cyndi Lauper
Blondie
The Pretenders
Bananarama
Simple Minds
Stray Cats
Hall & Oates
Men At Work
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

European Son

You're all forgetting about a little album called The Joshua Tree by U2. That record along with Appetite For Destruction totally bailed out the 80s.

godardian

I think "Panic" by The Smiths sums up my view of most '80s music...

...by the way, The Smiths were not "goth" in any sense of the term. A true cinephile would know that. Their single and album sleeves depicted screen stars in films by Andy Warhol, Cocteau... their sensibility was all Billy Liar. Very kitchen-sink, and I think the great streak of humor is very overlooked. I think they're one of the best pop groups overall, and I hate the way they're pigeonholed. "They have English accents and sing about sad things sometimes, so they must be 'goth'." Typical ignorant American attitude. They were pop-music kitchen-sink English-new-wave sardonic neorealists, as anyone who listens will hear.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

godardian

I like the Go-Go's a lot, too.

Roxy Music and Blondie did their really worthwhile stuff in the '70s, I think... the '80s were a bit embarrassing for them. And I restrict most of my Siouxsie intake to the '77-'84 period; it got a little rank, too, by the late '80s and early '90s.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

godardian

David Bowie was the worst in the '80s, though... how could he have? I don't think the Orwellian-doom version of Bowie in Velvet Goldmine was that far off...

I think it's pretty silly to pretend that because a song was from the '80s, it's indicative of something. I mean, I don't really mean to be a snob, but I have my limits, and including the wonderful Jam on the same list as Kim fucking Wilde for the sake of chronological felicity totally violates them.

Dirk

Holy triple posts, Batman!  :shock:
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.