Demo Jail

Started by MacGuffin, April 25, 2006, 09:37:54 AM

MacGuffin

Scroll down to "Demo Jail" for a short film PTA did for The Showbiz Show with David Spade:

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2717602?htv=12
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

wow, I thought I'd gotten over PTA.

Pubrick

i saw this over at c&v, it's not that funny. i think it must be bugging him that he still hasn't made a truly funny film/short/other, when comedy seems to be the point. get back to work pta and know that your jokes are best delivered as part of a bigger drama.

Quote from: Fernando on April 25, 2006, 10:25:03 AM
wow, I thought I'd gotten over PTA.
now you hav a reason.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

Yeah, it just drags and drags...
WWPTAD?

modage

if this is any indication of the direction that There Will Be Blood is headed, we are all in for a disappointment.

pozer saw a sneak preview of this short 6 months ago.

if i were to judge wes and pt NOW solely on the merits of their latest work, i'd have to give the edge to wes.  big time.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

mogwai

i hope y'all are being ironic now.

it was shit, but seriously pta would never do a full length movie like this.

ono

Here goes: look at PTA's flicks versus Wes's.  PTA's are dramas with little bits of subtle comedy splattered throughout.  Wes's are comedies with dramatic moments splattered about.  Wes is the comedian, not PTA.  So it's no wonder Wes'll make the better comedic short.  Any time a dramatist tries to be funny it'll usually fall flat.  Good comedy borne out of drama always comes as a result of the interaction of characters and odd circumstances in dramatic situations, which is where PTA is right at home.  So don't get your panties all in a bunch just 'cause PTA can't make a funny short film.  It's not his schtick.

mogwai

thank you for that, i feel more intelligent now.

Pubrick

haha, tell me about it. this kills me..

Quote from: onomabracadabra on April 25, 2006, 01:38:36 PM
Any time a dramatist tries to be funny it'll usually fall flat.

classic ono. and by classic i mean up there with Plato.
under the paving stones.

©brad

Quote from: onomabracadabra on April 25, 2006, 01:38:36 PMWes is the comedian, not PTA.  So it's no wonder Wes'll make the better comedic short.  Any time a dramatist tries to be funny it'll usually fall flat.  Good comedy borne out of drama always comes as a result of the interaction of characters and odd circumstances in dramatic situations, which is where PTA is right at home.  So don't get your panties all in a bunch just 'cause PTA can't make a funny short film.  It's not his schtick.

:shock:

Quote from: onomabracadabra on April 25, 2006, 03:15:04 PM... eschewed...

word-a-day calendar! i called it.

polkablues

Quote from: onomabracadabra on April 25, 2006, 01:38:36 PM
So don't get your panties all in a bunch just 'cause PTA can't make a funny short film.  It's not his schtick.

Go on and tell me that Ben Affleck in braces asking Anna Nicole Smith if she'll be his mom isn't funny. 

Demo Jail, though... not funny.   :yabbse-sad:
My house, my rules, my coffee

JG

yeah this is bad, but part of me wants to believe it was spade's concept and Anderon is just behind the camera. 

©brad

Quote from: polkablues on April 25, 2006, 05:19:39 PMDemo Jail, though... not funny.   :yabbse-sad:

yeah but how much should be attributed to david spade? he can suck hard sometimes.

the camera work wasn't bad.

Pubrick

Quote from: ©brad on April 25, 2006, 05:39:49 PM
the camera work wasn't bad.
he'd hav to be spazzing out on the ground to screw that up, all he did was stay still.

i don't think anyone is seriously saying this is the downfall of pta, it's just a dumb video. since when does david spade hav a show anyway??
under the paving stones.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

awwww shit here it comes  :yabbse-grin: everyone thinking everything PT Anderson does HAS to be be genius
well, I liked the red hat.
besides this is lite candy. think of how many of you thought Couch was laugh-out-loud funny, and even though it wasn't, I still think it was cool.
in fact, if mr. D. Spade there didnt mention this was directed by PTA, no one woulda cared. And that's kinda good. I think.
YEAH!