Superman: Man of Steel

Started by MacGuffin, February 24, 2010, 03:32:41 PM

matt35mm

Well, he's the director.  He'll have a lot of involvement.  And it's the writing and production elements that will be a little bit of a wild card (but not really, with Goyer and J. Nolan not really being terribly exciting writers, and by now we more or less know what Christopher Nolan can and can't do), but Snyder was clearly chosen by WB because he is the opposite of a wild card.  Also, everybody involved has tread in superhero waters before, and we know what they like to do with it.  I don't see any indication that this movie will be significantly different from what I picture it being when I stop to imagine it for 2 seconds.

From the WB's perspective, it's the least amount of risk-taking they could possibly do, considering how much money Nolan and Snyder have made for them (with superhero movies, no less).  This is just a case of re-applying what was previously financially successful to what was previously financially successful.  The result is going to be more of what we've already seen.  But it's gonna make a lot of money.

Kal

What? This is the worst news. Fucking shit.

Pubrick

Quote from: matt35mm on October 04, 2010, 05:42:50 PM
And it's the writing and production elements that will be a little bit of a wild card

i think that's what GT was trying to say.

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on October 04, 2010, 05:34:45 PM
The writing and production elements make Snyder a wildcard.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

I focused on Snyder as a wild card because he is coming onboard a project that already has some development to it. Goyer's pitch for Superman is what sold Nolan and the studio to jump onboard. As far as I can tell, Snyder had more hand in the early development of his last few films. How much control he has here is up in the air. I have to assume if he's been hired by the team in place, for right now, everyone sees eye to eye. However, as the project develops, more decisions will be made and things could change.

matt35mm

And I was saying that I don't think Snyder is a wild card under any circumstance in any context in perpetuity.  It's like Warner Bros wanted to make the number 15, and they were given the formula 11 + x = 15, and they knew that Zack Synder always equals 4, and they simply plugged Zack Snyder into the equation, knowing without a shadow of a doubt that 11 + Zack Snyder = 15.  I am also saying that because I have seen the number 15 before, I can simply think of the number 15 and expect to have the same experience as I would if I watched this movie.

The writing and production team may be the closest thing this movie has to a wild card, but I honestly don't expect it to be all that wild.  I don't think that Nolan will be heavily involved (as far as I can tell, he helped Goyer to shape the story and to shepherd the thing into production, but now he'll go and work on Batman and stay out of the way of Superman), and that Goyer will write the kind of scripts that he usually writes.

Man, I need to stop speculating on movies that I don't care about.

Gold Trumpet

Yeah, same here. And you're probably right.

MacGuffin

'Superman' Update: Story Details, Script Issues and Who the Studio Really Wanted as Director
By Simon Abrams; Cinematical

With the net now abuzz with talk about 'Dawn of the Dead' director Zack Snyder having been tapped to direct 'Superman: Man of Steel', the upcoming 'Superman' reboot, news is hitting fast about which director Warner Bros. really wanted before they eventually settled on Snyder.

New York Mag's Vulture blog reports that 'The Fountain' director Darren Aronofsky was nearly handed the job until he learned that the studio opted to go with Snyder. Aronofsky was reportedly very interested in the original idea for the project (the one we assume was pitched by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer) -- where Clark Kent has to decide whether or not he wants to be Superman while traveling the world as a journalist.

We're not sure how close that storyline is to what's currently on the page, or what will eventually hit screens, but it definitely sounds like a more modern take on the iconic superhero -- one that would allow room for current political events and an indecisive Superman who's desparately trying to contemplate whether he should step in or stay away and let people deal with their own problems.

Upon learning he wasn't going to land the gig, Aronofsky -- who, on paper, seems like a much better fit for this sort of material -- started eyeing other new projects, which apparently includes Marvel Studios' 'Wolverine 2' and the WB property 'Tales from the Gangster Squad', which Ben Affleck just recently turned down (he also turned down 'Superman' too).

What's interesting to note, however, is that according to Vulture's sources, part of the reason why Snyder was chosen was because Goyer's submitted script was "rushed" and more than a little sloppy, but delivered on time:

"We're told by knowledgeable insiders the reason Warner Bros. picked Snyder for Man of Steel is that the script by David Goyer was rushed, is still a bit of a mess, and that Warner Bros. needs someone who won't spend months or even years trying to get it just right (i.e., Aronofsky), because time is the one thing they don't have: The studio must have a new Superman movie in production by 2011 or they'll be subject to potential lawsuits by the heirs of the superhero's creators."

Unfortunately, that sounds like the studio said no to Aronofsky because he's a guy who likes to take his time on things in order to get it right. Warner Bros. seems like they want to get it right, though they're more concerned with getting it done ... on time, and perhaps all those delays and problems Aronofsky had on the big-budgeted 'Fountain' are still coming back to haunt him. Vulture goes on to say that Snyder was effectively the studio's shotgun choice, a high-profile guy they had to tap now simply because they wanted to get the ball rolling.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Fernando

Henry Cavill Is 'Superman': Actor Lands Lead Role in Zack Snyder Reboot

Breaking News: Deadline is reporting that actor Henry Cavill has landed the coveted title role in Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures' 'Superman' reboot.

"In the pantheon of superheroes, Superman is the most recognized and revered character of all time, and I am honored to be a part of his return to the big screen. I also join Warner Bros., Legendary and the producers in saying how excited we are about the casting of Henry. He is the perfect choice to don the cape and S shield," said the film's director, Zack Snyder.

The film is also being produced by 'Inception' mastermind Christopher Nolan.

The 27-year-old British actor appeared in a number of movies in the last decade, from 'The Count of Monte Cristo,' to 'Stardust' to the Woody Allen movie 'Whatever Works.' TV fans will also know him for his role as Charles Brandon on the Showtime original series 'The Tudors.'

Cavill's upcoming roles include 'The Cold Light of Day' and 'Immortals.'

Pubrick

Quote from: Fernando on January 30, 2011, 01:51:45 PM

"In the pantheon of superheroes actors, Superman Henry Cavill is the most LEAST recognized and revered remembered character of all time,

OF ALL TIME.

seriously, maybe they should stop casting utterly dull nobodies as superman and maybe then they'd have a chance of resurrecting the franchise.
under the paving stones.

Stefen

OF ALL FUCKING TIME.

Who is this jerk? He's been lobbying for the role since 2005 and I haven't heard of him until now. Did he put acting and working and making a living for his family on hold to try and get the role of Superman after he had already lost the role more than half a decade earlier? Dude, move on with your life.

This is the first time ever in the history of all time that this has actually worked. I bet his roommate is happy.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pas

He's the Tudors knight guy or whatever, some hero. He's alright, at some point in the series he fucks a really hot french rebel.

MacGuffin

Kevin Costner Confirmed For Pa Kent In Zack Snyder's 'Superman'
Source: The Playlist

Just a few weeks after it was first rumored, it looks like Clark Kent is getting a Dad. Deadline reports that a deal has closed for Kevin Costner to play Pa Kent in Zack Snyder's "Superman." He will join Diane Lane as Ma Kent, as they will play the parents to the Man Of Steel. But of course, this is just the tip of the casting iceberg. There is still Lois Lane to be cast (and a bevy of names have already been rumored for that role), Ursa (again, a number of names have been mentioned), and the biggest one of them all, Zod. While Viggo Mortensen was recently rumored, according to Deadline, it's not likely he'll take the part, especially if he signs on to "Snow White and the Huntsmen" which he was also recently linked to. But Mortensen as Zod would be frankly, pretty fantastic, so we hope that the actor carefully weighs his options here. For now, much of the details surrounding the reboot have been kept firmly under wraps with Snyder recently saying that his film would not follow or link to any of the previous movie versions. Of course, you know Henry Cavill will be wearing the iconic tights in the film that will hit theaters in December 2012.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Superman news: Amy Adams will be Lois Lane
Source: The Los Angeles Times

EXCLUSIVE This just in —three-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams will play journalist Lois Lane in Hollywood's revival of "Superman." The 36-year-old star got the news on Sunday from director Zack Snyder, who phoned her from Paris, where he was promoting his just-opened film, "Sucker Punch." There had been a crush of Hollywood interest in the lead female role in the Warner Bros. project but Snyder said that after meeting with Adams, she was the clear choice to take on a character that dates back to 1938 and has long represented the strong, professional woman who can hold her own against any man –even if he can leap tall buildings in a single bound.

"There was a big, giant search for Lois," Snyder said. "For us it was a big thing and obviously a really important role. We did a lot of auditioning but we had this meeting with Amy Adams and after that I just felt she was perfect for it."

Snyder declined to discuss the precise prominence of Lois in the story or any plot details about the film but he said the role is "a linchpin" to the project and that he considers it essential that Lois —an FDR-era creation –arrives on screen in 2012 with contemporary appeal and spirit.

"It goes back to what I've said about Superman and making him really understandable for today. What's important to us is making him relevant and real and making him empathetic to today's audience so that we understand the decisions he makes. That applies to Lois as well. She has to be in the same universe as him [in tone and substance]."

Adams has shown an affinity for finding the plucky but pitch-perfect center of old-school roles; in the cartoonish "Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian" she brought a surprising amount of yearning emotion to the role of a simplified Amelia Earhart and she won rave reviews for the role of Giselle in "Enchanted" and its sly send-up of Disney princess traditions that date back to "Snow White," which premiered just six months before Lois Lane hit newsstands in the pages of Action Comics No. 1.

Adams is coming off an Academy Award nomination for her work in "The Fighter," the David O. Russell film that took her into far darker territory; she played a bartender named Charlene who is fire-tested and fierce in her love for a down-but-not-out boxer portrayed by Mark Wahlberg. The film earned an Oscar win for Christian Bale, who played Wahlberg's deliriously drugged-out brother, and he will be in the other big superhero film of 2012, "The Dark Knight Rises," which will see Bale back in the cowl of Batman.

The big breakthrough for Adams was "Junebug," which premiered at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival, where Adams won a special jury prize for her performance. The star's other notable credits include "Doubt," Julie & Julia," "Sunshine Cleaning," "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby" and "Charlie Wilson's War." Later this year, she will be seen in both "On the Road" (an adaptation of the famed Jack Kerouac novel) and in Disney's new Muppets film.

I asked Snyder how it feels to be making a film where every casting choice is a global news flash. "It's an epic thing, no doubt. But this good news is the cast is shaping up to fit that." In the still-untitled Superman film, Henry Cavill will play Clark Kent and the Man of Steel. Kevin Costner and Diane Lane are set to play the Kents, the adoptive parents of the last son of Krypton.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Michael Shannon Cast As General Zod In Zack Snyder's 'Superman' Now Officially Titled 'Man Of Steel'
Source: The Playlist

We'll be goddamned if Zack Snyder isn't doing everything in his power to scrub the ugly, ugly memory of "Sucker Punch" out of our minds. He's got a world of expectation on his shoulders for the upcoming "Superman" reboot but with each casting announcement, we can't help but get more and more excited for the film. Warner Bros. has announced that Michael Shannon has joined the upcoming film—now officially titled "Man Of Steel" (whether it has "Superman" in the title as a prefix remains unclear)—as General Zod. While Snyder himself said last year that early word of Zod being the villain in "Superman" was just a rumor, all signs have been pointing in that direction anyway with Viggo Mortensen being recently courted for the part. The character, a megalomaniac fellow-exile from Superman's home planet of Krypton, is one of the best-known of the classic adversaries, having been embodied memorably by Terence Stamp in 1980's "Superman II" (easily the best cinematic depiction of the series so far). But we can't think of a better bit of inspired casting than Shannon taking on the role. Snyder stated, "Zod is not only one of Superman's most formidable enemies, but one of the most significant because he has insights into Superman that others don't. Michael is a powerful actor who can project both the intelligence and the malice of the character, making him perfect for the role." With confirmation of the villain, fanboys will surely be wondering if perennial nemesis Lex Luthor also plays a role in the story penned by David S. Goyer and godfathered by producer Christopher Nolan. Recent, plausible sounding rumors pegged Metallo as the villain, but the Nolan camp has apparently been good at purposeful misinformation as well, so that storyline has likely been proven as a very false one. Shannon, known for electrical turns in "Revolutionary Road" (for which he was nominated for a Best Supporting Actor Oscar), and absurd ones (Werner Herzog's "My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done?" joins a so-far impeccable cast that includes Henry Cavill as Clark Kent, Diane Lane and Kevin Costner as Ma and Pa Kent and Amy Adams as Lois Lane. "Superman" hits theaters in December 2012. Production is expected to begin in the fall.

Skeleton FilmWorks

cronopio 2

michael shannon is on his way to become a Philip Seymour Hoffman figure. his face looks like he's been around since movies were invented.