Game Night

Started by ono, February 25, 2018, 09:25:49 PM

ono

This was really enjoyable.  Really well written, witty script.  The opening was excellent and it kept up its manic pace all the way through.  Bateman's a riot, McAdams is fun, and Plemons is at his creepy best.  The audience I was with was great.  Laughed at all the right times and shut up otherwise!  So yay for that.

I would really recommend not watching that first trailer, though.  It is super spoilery.  The second one isn't any better.  They both give away some of the best laughs of the movie.

samsong

perfect moviepass movie for when you just kinda feel like going to the movies.  talented actors and semi-savvy filmmakers (sam from freaks and geeks?!) have fun making a passably amusing, ultimately really stupid movie.  john francis daley and jonathan goldstein are Great Value phil lord and christopher miller.  totally caught off guard by the cliff martinez score, in that i had no idea he did it.

pete

really funny until the end. the ending felt re-shot and tacked on, though google couldn't confirm.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Yep, this was great. Delivers everything that was promised and more. Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams were born for roles like this. (Jesse Plemons might be the MVP, though.) The meta jokes are actually good. And I love the way it deals with its similarities to The Game. Ends up working in its favor in a fun way.

Quote from: samsong on March 06, 2018, 08:24:33 PMa passably amusing, ultimately really stupid movie

Eh, I don't think it's stupid. Absurdist/meta in spots, yeah. But not stupid. I actually thought there were a few serious plot holes, but after a little searching, my questions were fully resolved. Happy to talk spoilers.

wilberfan

This actually made me laugh out loud--which not a lot of movies do anymore.  Great comedic delivery/timing from the leads and some fun camera work in several places.  I checked it out because it made someone's Top Ten list for '18.  Not sure I would go that far, but I enjoyed it a lot more than a lot of films this past year.