Two Days, One Night

Started by wilder, April 17, 2014, 02:11:57 PM

wilder

The film follows Sandra, a young woman assisted by her husband, who has only one weekend to convince her colleagues to give up their bonuses so that she can keep her job.

Directed by Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne
Starring Marion Cotillard, Fabrizio Rongione, and Olivier Gourmet
Release Date - December 24, 2014 (limited)

Trailer

wilder

wilder

UK Blu-ray from Artificial Eye on October 20, 2014

Gold Trumpet

This is a fantastic film. I wrote about it at length on my blog but the Dardenne brothers are doing some fantastic work.

wilder

Limited release on December 24

Axolotl

This was beautiful and major Dardennes.

What made me want to bump this was pete in the Birdman thread:
Quote from: pete on Birdman
I wanted to love it. I also wanted to love Whiplash. It's been a pretty disappointing season thus far.

This movie is the perfect antidote to award season fluff and just so relentlessly lovable.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Something Spanish

Finally saw this, my first Dardennes. Really good flick and reminder that Cotillard is the most naturally beautiful actress currently at large. Don't think she wore any makeup throughout. Not sure I can give up a bonus stack if some cukoo collegue's job was on the line. Then again if it was Cotillard...

modage

My first Dardennes too. Cotillard is what made this watchable for me, otherwise I'm not sure I would've been able to get through it. Watching essentially the same situation play out like 8 times with different people was just not interesting to me. Was there something in the repetition that made it so transcendent for everyone else? Because I thought it was stretching a thin premise of a good 25-40 minute short film to feature length.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Spoilers

Cotillard's character going from employee to employee is a playing out of Christ going through the stations of the cross before his crucifixion. Yes, there is an uncontrollable element of repitition to the basic saga, but she has to struggle through seeing everyone and asking them for the most uncomfortable thing. It's a brutal process of pain that allows her to find herself at the end. The Dardennes love religious symbolism in their stories and this is an easy one to identify. Weeding out details, each episode does play out a little differently. One may argue the details of difference are minimal and that's fine but I think the major process is slowly seeing Cotillard get more punished each time and how she comes to find the necessary courage at the end. The simple structure does allow it to be a true showcase performance for Cotillard and she definitely is amazing.

jenkins

a remark that'll rattle the equilibrium of xixax that's under constant rattling: i enjoyed this movie and think it's impressively made, and during it i kept watching to rewatch rosetta instead. that's how i feel

Alexandro

yes, marion cotillard is the main reason this film works and to be honest, she's the only reason I would ever rewatch it. this isn't the best the dardennes can do, just like kid in a bike. but it's still pretty solid.

Tortuga

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 10, 2015, 04:22:13 PM
Spoilers

Cotillard's character going from employee to employee is a playing out of Christ going through the stations of the cross before his crucifixion. Yes, there is an uncontrollable element of repitition to the basic saga, but she has to struggle through seeing everyone and asking them for the most uncomfortable thing. It's a brutal process of pain that allows her to find herself at the end. The Dardennes love religious symbolism in their stories and this is an easy one to identify. Weeding out details, each episode does play out a little differently. One may argue the details of difference are minimal and that's fine but I think the major process is slowly seeing Cotillard get more punished each time and how she comes to find the necessary courage at the end. The simple structure does allow it to be a true showcase performance for Cotillard and she definitely is amazing.

Trolling or genuine cinephilia gone out-of-control? I can rarely tell the difference.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Tortuga on February 11, 2015, 02:07:37 PM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on February 10, 2015, 04:22:13 PM
Spoilers

Trolling or genuine cinephilia gone out-of-control? I can rarely tell the difference.

Haha, then consider the Dardennes themselves to be trolls. When I was at the NY Film Festival screening of this with the Dardennes and Cotillard in attendance, the moderator introduced the thematic ideas I used here and the Dardennes fell very much into agreement and went on to discuss the themes further. Any paragraph explanation is a short sell and I wrote a longer piece on the film, but ehh, I probably shouldn't have bothered responding to such a weak reply anyways.

Tortuga

Well, nothing wrong with identifying or appreciating underlying themes. For example, I'm a strong proponent of the idea that Alien 3 is actually a retelling of Jeanne D'Arc. But looking at Alien 3 as such is just intellectualistic icing on the cake. You can enjoy the film for other reasons than that (and most people will).

In the case of this film, it's a shame if the apparent boringness can only be bypassed by reading some huge meaningful subtext into it (I mean, the crucifixion, no less, that's ridiculously awesome). Is the film worth watching at all if I don't make that pretty far-fetched connection (as most people won't, just like with the Jeanne D'Arc example above)? (And if, on top of that, I'm not a particular Cotillard fan?)

(By the way, don't take any of this too personally. I'm just easily reminded of the many film-/art-critics who are full of shit in their "analysis" of any work, and will read stuff into it that has the makers themselves scratch their head in confusion. It shouldn't come as a surprise that blowing a realist drama up to biblical proportions comes across as kind of funny and exaggerated, even if the makers confirm that it's legit (and as a matter of fact the Dardennes as persons always did seem to have a sense of humor... it's quite possible to be trolling and be dead-serious at the same time; look at someone like JL Godard)).