Best TIME TRAVEL movies

Started by Jeremy Blackman, April 12, 2012, 11:45:54 PM

Reel

I was confused so I had to look it up, but there actually is a time travel movie called The Navigator. might have to consult RK about that one.. but yeah, Flight of the Navigator isn't cool unless you're seven.

72teeth

Quote from: Reelist on April 13, 2012, 04:52:50 PM
Flight of the Navigator isn't cool unless you're seven.

fuck you, Dante rocks.

...actually, fuck me, i was thinking about Explorers. sry, breh
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Ghostboy

Quote from: polkablues on April 13, 2012, 11:24:30 AM
Realistically, this thread begins and ends with Primer.  That flick is a minor miracle of filmmaking.

Wait until you see his new one.

Jeremy Blackman

Has anyone seen Predestination? It's not a masterpiece, but it's essential for any fan of time travel.

The trailer btw is spoilery, and this is one movie you especially don't want spoiled. It hinges on reveals. Some of them are loudly telegraphed, unfortunately, and it's more enjoyable if you keep your guessing to a minimum. The film is kept afloat by the performances.

But what really makes this worthwhile are the time mechanics at the center of it all, which are truly beautiful and singular. Based on a Robert A. Heinlein short story.

I'd be happy to discuss spoilers... especially 1 nagging plot hole that might be cleared up.

polkablues

I did see this a while back, aaaaaaand if I'm being honest I couldn't stand it. It basically played out as a thought experiment that had no greater purpose in mind than basking in its ostensible cleverness. Sarah Snook really impressed me, but that's about all the positive I could take away from it.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Ugh... you're probably right. I feel like you're right. I was in a generous mood.

I love the central thing, though. It is clever.

MAJOR SPOILERS

Except... Here's the plot hole I was going to mention. When John sees himself as a man for the first time in the mirror, shouldn't he be like, "Oh hey, that's the guy I fell in love with. That is absolutely him. And it's me. Huh." So then when John is later sent on a mission to kill "the man who ruined my life," he would already know it was himself, so being naively up for that mission doesn't make sense.

Even if Jane refuses to acknowledge the similarily of John's face, John also has some prominent surgery scars that should probably ring a bell with Jane later when that becomes very personally relevant.