The Life of David Gale

Started by Recce, February 22, 2003, 10:49:22 AM

Recce

***Be warned. Spoiler ahead***

I just saw this movie yesterday and I was pretty disappointed. Alan Parker tried too hard to shock and blow the audience away that it failed horribly. I figured out the ending half-way through the movie. Is it just me or are original stories hard to come by nowadays? I keep seeing these movies that just throw me out of the story and make me pay more attention to the often times cheesy and overdone plots.  I will admit, the acting and overall style of the film is very good, worthy of Alan Parker, but the story was iffy.

As for "The Life of David Gale", it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't seen the trailer the day before. There was a note that said that the ending was a shocking twist. That really pissed me off. How can you enjoy a movie when you know that the end is a twist. I mean, there are only so many twists that can happen in a movie like this.

Anyone else have any comments?
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

joke08

Haven't seen it, BUT, Ebert hated it. He said the end was too ridiculous, so I might wait to rent it. I trust Ebert most of the time.
i've been drinking more wine lately.
it's good for you pop.
yeah, well anyway, i've been drinking more wine
(vito to michael, Godfather I)

sphinx

Quote from: RecceAs for "The Life of David Gale", it wouldn't have been so bad if I hadn't seen the trailer the day before. There was a note that said that the ending was a shocking twist. That really pissed me off. How can you enjoy a movie when you know that the end is a twist. I mean, there are only so many twists that can happen in a movie like this.

i think that was more the decision of the marketing people to say 'LOOK!  A KEVIN SPACEY MOVIE WITH AN ENDING THAT WILL COMPLETELY SHOCK YOU UP THE ASS!!1'

joke08

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: Recce
i think that was more the decision of the marketing people to say 'LOOK!  A KEVIN SPACEY MOVIE WITH AN ENDING THAT WILL COMPLETELY SHOCK YOU UP THE ASS!!1'

ha ha. Shock you up the ass. I'm gonna use that.
i've been drinking more wine lately.
it's good for you pop.
yeah, well anyway, i've been drinking more wine
(vito to michael, Godfather I)