Stellet Licht - Luz Silenciosa - Silent Light

Started by Alexandro, October 13, 2007, 08:03:38 PM

Alexandro

Couldn't find a thred for this film. If there is one please redirect me.

Stellen Licht is Carlos Reygadas latest film and his best in my view. I liked Japon and couldn't really make myself to enjoy Battle in Heaven. This time everything works wonders cause he found a story and a way to connect his sensibilities and style to a very emotional place.

It's the very simple story of a father in love with another woman. They're all from an aislated menonite tribe in Chihuahua, Mexico, which makes for a strangely exotic location. The whole film is spoken in their dialect.

I gotta say mexican cinema is kind of on a roll. A lot of mediocre films are being made, but few little gems like this one are coming along also. This one is truly beautiful. The very first shot of this movie you gotta see it to believe it. I'm still wondering how they got it done. But one scene afetr the other is as if painting were coming alive.

The performances of the non professional actors are terrific. I'm not exagerating. The lead is astonishing. It's a fully emotional, heart breaking rendering of human nature.

The final twist caught me off guard, and to me along with the rest of what comes through in this movie, is the definitive proof that Reygadas is the real thing. Great thins will come from him along the way.

Just yesterday this film was released in Mexico, but wait for it. Trust me on this one. Most of us around here will find something to like.

Pubrick

adding english title and fixing the proper one.

wasn't immediately obvious why the title was in a german dialect (the mennonite connection). is it set in the present?

sounds excellent.
under the paving stones.

Alexandro

yes the whole thing is in the present. these people live like these and a lot of the film's charm comes from just capturing their shit. for mexicans is even weirder cause we're used to see menonites mainly selling their products on the streets but we know nothing about them. however the film goes beyond just a social portrait...

thanks for the corrections.

Alexandro

so i'm assuming no one saw this yet and it's pointless to nominate ir for any xixax award.