Family Guy

Started by SHAFTR, June 27, 2003, 01:27:41 PM

SHAFTR

Earlier this week I saw one episode of Family Guy and loved it.  The next day I bought the Volume 1 box set.  

So far I've seen all of season 1 and some of season 2 and I really like this show.  It is the best animated show I have ever seen and it is too bad it was cancelled after 3 seasons.

Anyone else here have the box set or a fan of the show?  The transfer isn't the best b/c it sometimes looks jagged and shakes...but the show is too great not to own.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

xerxes

i loved that show

Alethia

i thought it was hilarious

ono

I have the box set of the first two seasons.  Gonna get the next box set of the final two when it comes out later this year.  :)  The best animated series in a long time.  Since The Critic, I imagine.  But nothing, IMO, tops The Critic.  I'm not sure whether to call ABC and FOX idiots for cancelling it, or the majority of the American public for just not getting the jokes.  Then again, humor is subjective.

SHAFTR

I think the date is Sept 9 for Volume 2 of Family Guy.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Sleuth

Everyone likes Family Guy.  Everyone.
I like to hug dogs

oakmanc234

'Family Guy' has to be one of the funniest things ever. Not just on TV.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

sphinx

the extended action sequence with the chicken and the coupon made me laugh more than anything in my life, ever.  except for dave morris.

Duck Sauce

I would have watched them if I knew when they were on..... i think that was part of its downfall

Cecil

yes it was a genius show. i am sad its gone

modage

the family guy was basically the EXACT same setup as the simpsons, which i think at first was very offputting to people (including myself), when the show first came on.  even the humor echoes the simpsons in its later years, and its irreverency.  but the thing that makes the family guy such a great show its its daring.  no matter HOW CRAZY, just put it in there.  anything, no matter how off the wall.  but even moreso than that, the way that they will let a joke playout forEVER. letting jokes go on for much much longer than a more restrained show like the simpsons would ever allow.  therein lies the genius of the family guy.  not exactly breaking new ground, but taking it farther than its been taken.  the show got better as the seasons went on i think, (like any show it takes atleast a season for everyone to get on the same page).
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

also:

Family Guy: The Movie: The cancelled FOX adult animated comedy could be making a comeback. The three-season long show ran on Fox from 1999-2001 but was pulled due to low ratings which weren't helped by an unstable airing schedule - since then however the studio has been very impressed with both the first wave of DVD sales and Cartoon Network re-run ratings, so much so that a direct-to-DVD feature-length new movie is being considered by creator Seth MacFarlane. Seth told Variety that "It's certainly some vindication and a sign that the show is as popular as we always suspected. Fox certainly gave the show more of a chance than a lot of shows would've gotten, and we're indebted to Gail [Berman, Fox Entertainment Chief] for the fact that we even got a third season. But it's also frustrating for everyone who worked on the show. We all felt it was killed before its time". Fox will release a second batch of episodes on disc later this Fall.

The Family Guy Volume 2 on September 9th. This three-disc set also features 4:3 full screen transfers, English, French and Spanish Dolby 2.0 surround tracks, audio commentaries for the episodes "Mr. Griffin Goes to Washington", "Death Lives," "Mr. Saturday Night", "Ready, Willing and Disabled," "Brian Wallows" and the previously unaired "When You Wish Upon a Weinstein," 15 minutes of animatics, the "Family Guy" pilot pitch and a series overview. Retail is $49.95.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Quote from: tremoloslothEveryone likes Family Guy.  Everyone.

I knew a guy in school, who normally had good taste, who hated "Family Guy".
My house, my rules, my coffee

polkablues

...So I killed him and ate him.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Cecil

Quote from: polkablues...So I killed him and ate him.

good. its the christian thing to do.