punk band recommendations

Started by Ernie, March 31, 2003, 02:52:07 PM

blackmamba

My punk suggestion has to be The Vandals. I am not too into punk, but they fuck'n rock.

(Whoa, I just realized something Cecil. If that's you in the pic, you kinda look like Beck!)

Cecil

yeah i realized it earlier, but didnt want to say anything

blackmamba

Ok, I am glad it's not just me this time.

Cecil

godardian

Quote from: MacGuffinJohnny Rotten film in works

John Lydon, a.k.a. Sex Pistols leader Johnny Rotten, is adapting his 1994 autobiography, "Rotten: No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs," for the big screen, according to England's NME magazine.

Lydon reportedly is working with director Penelope Spheeris, known to most as director of such comedies as "Wayne's World" and "The Beverly Hillbillies" but also a longtime chronicler of the pop music underworld in such documentaries as "The Decline and Fall of Western Civilization" and, more recently, "We Sold Our Souls for Rock 'n' Roll," about the Ozzfest heavy metal tour.

Because of the movie plans, Lydon's book also is being reissued in January. The title comes from a sign posted outside a hotel where the Sex Pistols once stayed while on tour.

Penelope Spheeris was a story consultant on some of the best seasons of Roseanne, also, and probably deserves the credit for at least some of the blue-collar verisimilitude of that show (sorry, I've been on a very steady diet of Roseanne reruns. For a while, that was the best show on television).
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

phil marlowe

Sleuth

Quote from: Cecili shouldve worn lipstick

Haha

you're Beck
I like to hug dogs

AK

Quote from: Witkacy
Punk died in 1979 anything after is an invention of the media.

hum...I don't know...Miss Avril Lavigne just declared she is the new Syd Vicious. :roll:

(ps: at least now she knows who he was...six months ago she wasn't that sure)

Sleuth

Quote from: AK
Quote from: Witkacy
Punk died in 1979 anything after is an invention of the media.

hum...I don't know...Miss Avril Lavigne just declared she is the new Syd Vicious. :roll:

(ps: at least now she knows who he was...six months ago she wasn't that sure)

Did she really say that?
I like to hug dogs

AK

Quote from: Slobh

Did she really say that?

A double yes:

Some time ago an interviewer asked her if she liked Syd Vicious...her answer: "Who is Syd Vicious?"

And now she declared that

I like the response of Johnny Rotten to her comment: "I wish she was Syd Vicious because at least she would be dead"

godardian

Quote from: AK
Quote from: Slobh

Did she really say that?

A double yes:

Some time ago an interviewer asked her if she liked Syd Vicious...her answer: "Who is Syd Vicious?"

And now she declared that

I like the response of Johnny Rotten to her comment: "I wish she was Syd Vicious because at least she would be dead"

I'm reminded why I LOOOOOOVE Johnny Rotten, even though I'm kind of afraid of him...
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

bonanzataz

godardian,

rosanne is on 5 times a day. how awesome is that?
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

godardian

Quote from: bonanzatazgodardian,

rosanne is on 5 times a day. how awesome is that?

Oh, I know. And they're into the good seasons now, so it'll be a while before those awful last 1-2 seasons... I would never be able to do it without TiVo...

...this post brought to you by the good people at TiVo.

Roseanne, in her own way, was kind of punk. For both better and worse, I'm afraid... the show totally did a Sid Vicious self-destruct at the end, and I think that was due to nothing but her getting free rein for every idea that popped into her head. She REALLY needed Penelophe Spheeris, director of Decline of Western Civilization, then.

See how I cursorily brought it back around to being sort of on topic? I'm getting kinda good at this...

Witkacy

Godardian... first you're into Fassbinder then you love Raincoats... early Fall albums.... I think you're my double?  Take out music and film.... fave writer... mine Witkiewicz or Gombrowizc (absolute nihilism and fun) although Rushdie is amazing.  Painter.... Goya and Rothko... leave Dali for the adolescents.

godardian

Quote from: WitkacyGodardian... first you're into Fassbinder then you love Raincoats... early Fall albums.... I think you're my double?  Take out music and film.... fave writer... mine Witkiewicz or Gombrowizc (absolute nihilism and fun) although Rushdie is amazing.  Painter.... Goya and Rothko... leave Dali for the adolescents.

Ah, for writers and painting I'm less of a self-styled "expert." For writers, I like Wilde, Dostoyevsky, Susan Sontag, Joan Didion... all of which sound horribly middlebrow compared to your selections. Painting is something I'm particularly unfamiliar with, but I do like Lichtenstein, David Hockney... I also like Edward Hopper and Jasper Johns. Based on a very unsophisticated and relatively unformed taste, mind you.

I guess our Siamese twin-dom must remain relegated to film and music...

Do you go to art school, Witkacy? I'm not being facetious, I'm seriously curious.