Good Time

Started by wilder, August 03, 2017, 03:19:41 AM

wilder

A bank robber finds himself unable to evade those who are looking for him.

Directed by Ben and Joshua Safdie
Release Date - August 11, 2017

jenkins

i'm going to adore them through their career is my guess

jenkins

QuoteRobert talks about the standing ovation that his new movie Good Time got at Cannes and he reveals a crazy thing that happened on set.

Just Withnail

my oh my! i'd seen the first trailer and loved it, and the second one just made it completely clear to me that this is one of my most looked forward to films at the moment. The way this film looks in my head now is already extremely inspiring.

Cloudy

jenkins

Quote"Movie crime, real crime, heroes, zeroes, the naked, the dead and the termites eating away at your Lazy Boy's legs. Here's a bunch of movies that kept us hot and bothered all through the conception and realization of our newest feature. There's a nylon thread running through 'em: the hapless plight of the snakebit fool, bouncing through life like a pinball, responding shrewdly to the moment but having zero say in the future. It's the present tense alone makes the hero holy, and it's his utter impotence in the grand scheme of life that makes him human. So enjoy the NOW!"

–from the Good Time team

gorge. i want to requote every line and call it my favorite thing ever, currently.

Cloudy

just read somewhere "if Abel Ferrara directed After Hours"

samsong

blown away by this one.  see it asap.

Ravi

Quote from: Cloudy on August 04, 2017, 04:43:43 PM
just read somewhere "if Abel Ferrara directed After Hours"

That description has me interested even more now. The poster itself is reminiscent of After Hours.

RegularKarate

This keeps getting better the more I sit with it.
It throws you in so fast that it's hard to wrap your head around the movie as a whole while you're watching it.
So real while so over the top and... silly... but in a good way.

Side note, this is the first screening I've been to when they gave us full page scantron questionnaires to fill out about our opinions on the movie.

WorldForgot

Quote from: RegularKarate on August 18, 2017, 04:24:24 PM
Side note, this is the first screening I've been to when they gave us full page scantron questionnaires to fill out about our opinions on the movie.

Did you get to critique the trailers, too? That's the best.

RegularKarate

Quote from: WorldForgot on August 19, 2017, 12:53:37 AM
Did you get to critique the trailers, too? That's the best.
Yeah, but the trailers they listed weren't the trailers they played.

modage

Mostly loved this one. When I first saw the trailer I thought "You literally could not pay me to watch this movie" but then I listened to the Bros. on a podcast talking about the movie and decided to give it a shot. My impression from that first trailer a while back was that it would be some kind of scuzzy indie drama featuring R.Patz and I had no idea that this would be an intentionally trashy (but not self-consciously retro) propulsive thriller. I laughed out loud several times at some of the more outrageous turns. There are two in particular in the middle of the film that basically come back to back that really sealed the deal for me. My only criticism (on first view) was that I wanted the energy to keep up throughout the finale and I thought it kinda dragged in the final 10-15 min or so and the ending was not the one I was expecting from the film I had just watched, however, I wouldn't be surprised if rewatching it made it sit better knowing where the film is heading.

As an act of filmmaking this movie is really something. And it's always exciting to feel like you're in the hands of a filmmaker(s) who know exactly what they're doing but also you have no idea what they're capable of. Like, when he finds out the girl is 15 and you're just sinking in your seat going "ohGodohGodohGod, don't doooo it," that's a great feeling.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cloudy

the really great thing about this is the Safdie bros are here to stay in the american cinema world after this one. we really need them, making it easier to breathe out here.

wilder

Throwing my hat in the ring as a supporter of this one. Super visceral, cinematic, WEIRD. Could see the wonderful Scarecrow's fingerprints all over, but stands on two feet and totally owns its 1970s influences. This is also one of those scores that's now just married to the material.