Pin Cushion

Started by wilder, March 29, 2018, 07:35:48 PM

wilder

Super close Mother LYN and daughter IONA (Dafty One and Dafty Two) are excited for their new life in a new town. Determined to make a success of things after a tricky start, Iona becomes 'best friends' with KEELY, STACEY and CHELSEA. Used to being Iona's bestie herself, Lyn feels left out. So Lyn also makes friends with BELINDA, her neighbour. As much as Lyn and Iona pretend to each other that things are going great, things aren't going great for either of them. Iona struggles with the girls, who act more like frenemies than friends, and Belinda won't give Lyn her stepladders back. Both Mother and Daughter retreat into fantasy and lies.

Written and Directed by Deborah Haywood
Release Date - TBD

Review: 'Pin Cushion's Misanthropy Makes Todd Solondz Looks Soft - The Playlist

Quote from: The Playlist"Pin Cushion" is not a happy film. The filmic discourse seems to have landed on the word "quirky" to describe it, which does everybody involved a disservice. Haywood has nothing in common with Wes Anderson, and her outlook is aggressively dissimilar from Greta Gerwig's. "Pin Cushion" portrays the worst of humanity, and it will make you feel like crap, but it ushers in a new voice in cinema worth listening to and a sharp female one at that. [B+]

Quote from: Cameron HoweI've never experienced some of the more female aspects but there's something you can identify with in both of the leads which is the main reason the emotional moments hit. "Exploitative" was used in another review for this and I'd just like to say you couldn't be further from the truth. While yes, the film may ring true for people more than others it doesn't use them cheaply. Each moment of these moments are earned.

Quote from: Logan Kennyeffective for sure but this wasn't a good panic attack movie a la You Were Never Really Here and more bringing back bad memories and thinking that i'm about to completely break down. hate feeling like a freak in public especially in front of people i want to seem somewhat stable towards. idk

(dice roll)

jenkins

s/o to accurately quoting Playlist's typo in their article title. i watch all the difficult-people movies so i'll see this

Alethia

This has my attention. Can't wait.