White Stripes - Maximum

Started by bonanzataz, January 08, 2003, 09:27:16 PM

bonanzataz

Quote from: Pubrickfine i'll steal it.

PU-brick! how COULD you?!
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

bonanzataz

on a recent brendan benson kick, i came across this article. an article mac posted a while back references it, this gives the project a little more shape. i really should just grow some balls and give brendan his own thread, but i don't think enough of you listen to him. even though you really should. like, now.

Jack White and Brendan Benson band together
Detroit musicians blend their dissimilar styles to create sound of the Raconteurs.
By Adam Graham / The Detroit News

Jack White and Brendan Benson might not be Jay-Z and R. Kelly. But for Detroit rock fans, their coming together represents the best of both worlds.  

White is the stripped down, minimalist blues guy, while Benson is the polished, pop-rock troubadour, and if there's a middle ground between the former's run-and-gun spontaneity and the latter's tendency to strive for perfection, they've found it in the Raconteurs, their new side project.  

While fans eagerly anticipate hearing what they sound like, Benson - who opens up for the Stripes on Saturday at the Masonic Temple - says they sound, well, exactly how you'd think they'd sound.  

"It was a blast, and it sounds really cool," says Benson, who recorded the Raconteurs record with White in June in the studio inside his home on Detroit's east side. "It's pretty much what you'd think, two styles coming together. I'm proud of it."

Benson says he considers the record, which will likely be released next summer, a "little bit more than just a side-project." He says he doesn't know if they'll make more records, but he says he and White have plans to go on the road in support of the album. "We know we want to go on tour, but beyond that, I don't know," says Benson, speaking by phone from near the Canadian border while traveling to a Boston tour stop.  

Benson says he and White had long talked about making music together. "It was just a matter of when," he says. "We're both so busy doing our own thing, we never really found the time." They finally started hashing out plans earlier this year, and when they finally came together, they had a few songs written and "made up the rest" while recording over the course of a week.

Benson and White share vocal duties on the album, which Benson says will likely be released by V2, the label for both artists. Benson, who is accustomed to working by himself - he played nearly every instrument on his most recent album, March's "The Alternative to Love" - says he "anticipated the worst" in working with White, expecting to butt heads with the White Stripes frontman.

"But it didn't happen," he says. "I think we each have a lot of respect for one another, enough so that it was never a problem. I think we were both equally as excited to be working with the other person, so the last thing we wanted to do was impede that or step on each other's toes. It was cool. It went really smoothly."  

Benson's solo career is going pretty smoothly as well. His "Alternative to Love" was released earlier this year to critical kudos, and he's been on the road with the album for the better part of the year.

He says the time on the road has helped him sharpen his chops and gain from people what he wants most out of his career - respect.  

"All I want is esteem from people and acknowledgement and recognition," Benson says. "If I sell 10,000 records, I'm stoked. Everything more is just a bonus."
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

i've seen benson twice open for people and neither time has done much for me.  but maybe i'd have to listen to his albums first to appreciate.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

White Stripes prep 'Ghost' EP, live blitz

NEW YORK (Billboard) - The White Stripes will on December 6 release the EP "Walking With a Ghost," featuring a cover of Tegan & Sara's title song as well as previously unreleased live versions of four tunes.

The V2 Records release will debut November 14 via Apple's iTunes Music Store. The four live tracks are "Same Boy You've Always Known," "As Ugly As I Seem," "The Denial Twist" and "Screwdriver."

Meanwhile, the duo is also planning to sell a live download of "The Denial Twist" from every show on its current U.K. tour via the Web site (http://www.xlrecordings.com/denialtwist/) for XL Recordings, its U.K. label. At each show, fans can pick a blank CD to burn the tracks as well as artwork specific to the performance.

The studio version of "The Denial Twist," taken from the group's latest album, "Get Behind Me Satan," will be released next week as a single in the United Kingdom, backed by a cover of the Greenhornes' "Shelter of Your Arms."

On Wednesday, the Stripes will also play a private show for 35 fans at the BBC's Maida Vale Studios in London. The group's U.K. tour will run through November 17 in Manchester, and extended with a November 20 gig in Reykjavik.

After a holiday break, the band will be back on the road beginning January 12 in Tokyo, leading up to their run on the annual Big Day Out festival tour of Australia and New Zealand later that month.

"Get Behind Me Satan" debuted at No. 3 on The Billboard 200 and has sold 591,000 copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

abuck1220

on the daily show right now...they're playing two songs.

modage

Quote from: abuck1220 on December 01, 2005, 10:26:35 PM
how embarrassing.  and jacks all like "sorry, my drummer started playing the wrong song!" and next thing you know he'll be blaming it on some acid reflux.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gamblour.

WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

White Stripes sued by co-producer

A producer who worked on the first two White Stripes albums claims he deserves a share of the royalties, saying he played a pivotal role in creating the band's signature sound. Jim Diamond, who is listed as co-producer on the band's self-titled first album, released in 1999, has sued the White Stripes in U.S. District Court. He is listed as sound mixer on "De Stijl," released in 2000. "It's not just about fun and games," Diamond said. "I understand this is a business." A June 12 trial date was set. "It is a meritless case which will be defended with vigor," said Bert Deixler, the Los-Angeles based attorney representing the White Stripes, the rock duo of singer-guitarist Jack White and drummer Meg White. The White Stripes deny that Diamond helped create the band's style. The band said in court documents that they paid him $35 an hour for time at his Ghetto Recorders studio, which he started in 1996.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Quote from: modage on December 01, 2005, 10:35:15 PM
how embarrassing.  and jacks all like "sorry, my drummer started playing the wrong song!" and next thing you know he'll be blaming it on some acid reflux.

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on December 02, 2005, 02:12:19 PM
Why was it embarrassing?

:rofl:
HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

I don't know how I missed this.  That's what I get for not reading every single thread.
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Jack White's New Coca-Cola TV Advertisement Is Red, White And Weird

Jack White may currently front two bands, have a supermodel wife and a baby on the way, but that doesn't mean he hasn't found time to add another hat to his stringy haired dome: soft-drink pitchman.

Late Monday, the long-rumored collaboration between White and Coca-Cola finally reached these shores (or was posted on YouTube, at least). It's a bizarre minute-long commercial featuring a mod-ish girl in a red wig, a guy in a tracksuit with an impressive afro, a precocious tyke, a homeless guy and a bird-feeding senior citizen, perambulating to the strains of a sing-songy, '60s-inflected White-penned song that insists, "Love is the truth/ It's the right thing to do."

On Tuesday (April 18), a spokesperson for Coca-Cola confirmed that the commercial is authentic and that it does, in fact, feature a song White wrote exclusively for the company, though he would not elaborate on just how the partnership came to be.

"We've worked with him over the last few months," Coke spokesperson Andras Kallos told MTV News. "I can't speak about the collaboration, but I can tell you that the commercial made its worldwide debut earlier this month on Australian TV during the [MTV Australia Video Music Awards]."

Kallos said he has no idea if the commercial will air in the U.S., or if it will only make the rounds in international markets.

If it doesn't appear here in the States, it'd be a bummer, because, man, is this thing strange. Filmed in a herky-jerky stop-motion style (vaguely similar to the White Stripes' "The Hardest Button to Button" video), the commercial opens with a red-headed girl swigging a Coke in her house. As she steps outside, she hands the bottle to the massively afro-ed man, who then leaps into the air and grabs a can of Coke to give to the tyke, who is standing in a park. The kid — decked out in overalls and rocking a "gee whiz" look on his face — then passes what appears to be an apple to a homeless man, who is so inspired by the random act of kindness that he hands his umbrella to an elderly woman sitting on a bench. The spot ends with a blue bird landing on the shoulder of the redhead.

The whole thing plays over White's song, a nice little loud/soft, characteristically White Stripes tune (but with horns added during the chorus). The love-obsessed lyrics include White yelping, "Love is as good as it gets/ And you'll get more if you give it/ It's the right thing to do, and you know it/ It's inside of you, so just show it" and "In the arms of a mother and father/ In the eyes of a son and a daughter/ It's everywhere, you just have to care."

At press time, calls to White's spokesperson for comment about the commercial had not been returned.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gamblour.

Quote from: polkablues on April 18, 2006, 01:39:27 AM

Why was it embarrassing?

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

I don't know how I missed this.  That's what I get for not reading every single thread.

I don't know what I'm more confused about: why I seem to have been a complete idiot or why it's so funny (not in an indignant way, but seriously, the narrative logic here is very confusing)
WWPTAD?

polkablues

Quote from: Gamblour le flambeur on May 05, 2006, 09:29:46 AM
Quote from: polkablues on April 18, 2006, 01:39:27 AM
how embarrassing. and jacks all like "sorry, my drummer started playing the wrong song!" and next thing you know he'll be blaming it on some acid reflux.

Why was it embarrassing?

HAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!!

I don't know how I missed this. That's what I get for not reading every single thread.

I don't know what I'm more confused about: why I seem to have been a complete idiot or why it's so funny (not in an indignant way, but seriously, the narrative logic here is very confusing)

2 words: "Ashlee Simpson".
My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

White Stripes Win Lawsuit Over Royalties

DETROIT (AP) -- A federal jury ruled Thursday that the White Stripes don't have to share royalties with a producer who worked on the rock band's first two albums and claimed he played a pivotal role in creating its signature sound.

The eight-member panel deliberated about 20 minutes before returning its verdict in U.S. District Court, rejecting claims by Jim Diamond, who is listed as co-producer on the band's self-titled first album, released in 1999.

Diamond also is listed as sound mixer on "De Stijl," released in 2000, but the White Stripes denied that he helped create their style. The band said it had paid him $35 an hour for time at his Ghetto Recorders studio.

Jack White, singer and guitarist for the two-member band, told The Detroit News outside court he was pleased with the verdict, noting: "You never know what's going to happen in a trial."

A message seeking comment was left Thursday afternoon for Stephen Wasinger, a lawyer for Diamond.

The lawsuit trial before U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn started Monday.

Earlier Thursday, with Jack White and White Stripes drummer Meg White looking on, lawyer Bert Deixler argued that Diamond's engineering work on the records did not meet the standard for authorship.

"None of that constitutes originating an original work or causing it to come into being," Deixler said.

Wasinger, arguing for Diamond, cited liner notes from the 1999 album in which the band gave Diamond co-producer credit.

"Mr. Diamond at that time, in that place, was equally talented," Wasinger told the jury.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

White Stripes Reveal Icky New Album Details
Band says sixth album will be out 'as soon as corporately possible.'
Source: MTV

It's sometimes hard to tell when the White Stripes are messing with your head. So when the candy-striped duo announced Wednesday on their Web site that the follow-up to 2005's Get Behind Me Satan is done and will be called Icky Thump, you'll forgive us if we were a bit skeptical.

Then again, this is the same band that once named a song "You're Pretty Good Looking [For a Girl]," so who knows? What we do know from the missive is that the album is done and mixed and that it will be the first Stripes release to feature a title track. And from what we can tell, "Icky Thump" is the name of a BattleBots team from Iowa, but the more U.K.-friendly spelling "Ecky Thump" is a bastardization of the word "eck" or "heck" and it's a way of saying "what the hell?" Which makes a bit more sense.

While it doesn't appear to be a Nine Inch Nails-style cryptic reference to some global conspiracy, a Web search for "ecky thump" also pulled up an episode of the British comedy "The Goodies" from 1975 called "Kung Fu Kapers" — alternately known as the "Ecky-Thump" episode — in which one of the lead characters, Bill, is revealed to be a master of a heretofore unknown Lancashire, England, martial-arts style known as, you guessed it, the "Ecky-Thump," in which unsuspecting saps are hit with black pudding.

The Stripes copped to the "Kapers" lift in the posting, saying, "though some residents of Northern England might almost recognize the title, The Stripes stress they are spelling it wrong intentionally just for 'kicks' and 'metaphors.' "

Odd title aside, what we do know for sure is that the album was tracked at Blackbird Studio in Jack White's adopted hometown of Nashville, and among the songs to be included are "Catch Hell Blues," "Little Cream Soda," "Rag and Bone" and "You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do as You're Told)." We're not quite sure what to make of word that the song "Monkeys Have It Easy" has been "discarded" or that "Clicky Bump" was "retitled into something pleasant." Oh, right, we get it.

But they tell us that it was "the longest time the delightful duo have ever spent in the studio, totaling almost three weeks. Jack and Meg were said to have been looking like they were 'into it almost.' And even Meg herself was quoted while leaving a local Nashville laundromat saying that the record was, in her best estimate, 'finished,' 'musical in nature' and lastly, though slightly muffled, 'good.' "

The Stripes, who recently relocated to Warner Bros. records after their former label home, V2, was shuttered, will be announcing the album's release date soon, according to the lengthy Web post, which was attributed to Moscow Bugle reporter Kitayna Ireyna Tatanya Kerenska Alisof. "We are doing our best (whatever that is) to release the album as soon as corporately possible. And though we are tired, worn, weary, hungry, cold and left without an ounce of nutrition amongst ourselves, we are in the midst of planning performance type shows around the world."

After their trip into marimba-land on Satan, what will the new album sound like? They aren't saying that either, but a brief clip of the band in the studio working on an early version of the song "I'm Slowly Turning Into You" reveals a familiar spooky, keyboard-heavy, bashing-drums-and-Led-Zeppelin-stomp sort of vibe, with Jack White urgently singing the lines, "I'm slowly turning into you/ But you don't know this/ [unintelligible] but true/you say I'm lying and I never really tell you the truth." Why is Meg White dancing around in a full-on skeleton costume behind Jack in the video? We have no idea.

Skeleton FilmWorks