the strokes

Started by Rudie Obias, January 16, 2003, 04:44:51 PM

Rudie Obias

IS THIS IT?  man, i love this album!

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

neatahwanta

jtm

man......I was listening to that album before anyone knew who they were.  It's played out now.

Rudie Obias

you know what's played out?  still using the word played out to be cool.  get in gear loser!

*rudie*
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

jtm

WOW!!!!  Is it really cool to use the term played out???   This f@#$ing threads played out!!!

neatahwanta

:cry:

(You people are fighting over a completely lame and manufactured band.  Please stop.)

RegularKarate

Fuck, I was using the term "played out" before everyone else was using it... it's so been skunk.

jtm

I dug them until all these bands like the hives and the vines came out sounding exactley like them, or at least tried to.  I had high hopes for this band but I've heard a few new songs and it sounds like they're trying to be the doors now........jesus, I feel what i'm sayings already played out.

Rudie Obias

the hives and the vines sound nothing like the strokes.  do you even listen to music?

*rudie*

RegularKarate

Quote from: rudieobthe hives and the vines sound nothing like the strokes.  do you even listen to music?

*rudie*
While I think they're all over-rated, that's true... everyone compares these bands, but I think that's just because they're all just retro, but not even retro in the same genre.

jtm

what do you mean they sound nothing alike?  they all have the same simple, raw sound and think it's the 60's again.  And if you watch them live with no sound, i wouldn't be able to tell the strokes from the hives from the friggin' leaves.
"EVERYTHINGS PLAYED OUT" :!:

TenseAndSober

The Strokes are fucking incredible...I was listening to them when they only had reased The Modern Age EP.  Then "Is This It" was released and they blew up.  Which I think is cool, because the majority of pop music sucks.  I seen them live and theyre simply amazing.  In fact my nick name is a Strokes song also known as Ze Newie.

Film Student

Quote from: jtmwhat do you mean they sound nothing alike?  they all have the same simple, raw sound and think it's the 60's again.  And if you watch them live with no sound, i wouldn't be able to tell the strokes from the hives from the friggin' leaves.

You're insane.

First of all, The Hives do not think its the sixties, they think its the late eighties in the Bay Area.

The strokes think its the late 70's in New York.

The Vines think its a hybrid of the late 60's in Liverpool and the early 90's in Seattle.

These bands ARE overrated, but you have absolutely no ear for anything if you honestly think they sound alike.  I imagine what you're experiencing right about now is equivalent to what someone feels when they find out they're color blind.

As for "same, simple, raw sound"  the only part of that phrase that is entirely accurate for all three is "raw".   They sound raw, but each in their own entirely different way.  The strokes are the only ones you could honestly classify as simple.  

I imagine that either you really have no ear, or you're making your assumptions based on a couple radio singles (you should actually listen to the albums before you pass judgment).
"I think you have to be careful to not become a blowhard."
                                                                          --Ann Coulter

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Film StudentFirst of all, The Hives do not think its the sixties, they think its the late eighties in the Bay Area.

The strokes think its the late 70's in New York.

The Vines think its a hybrid of the late 60's in Liverpool and the early 90's in Seattle.

I think it's the late 50's in Djibouti. Does that mean I'm wrong?

TenseAndSober

The New York rock scene is awesome.  Aside from The Strokes check out : The Mooney Suzuki, Interpol, The Walkmen, The Sexy Magazines, The Realistics, and French Kicks to name a few.....Oh yea The, fucking, Yeah Yeah Yeahs!  In my opinion these bands kick major ass.