top 5-10 favorite bands/solo artists right now

Started by Ernie, February 27, 2003, 10:23:44 AM

Ernie

Quote from: Phil Marlowe
Quote from: ebeaman69how the hell do you pronounce their name?

Ask Sigur Rós... i believe he is in some way related to the singer...

Oh my god, is he really!? That's cool, maybe I'll PM him for clarification.

RegularKarate

Currently listening to:

Sigur Ros
Godspeed You!  Black Emperor (they're coming here in a week... hope they're good live)
David Cross Stand up CD

also:

Quote from: PRadiohead (tracks from upcoming album)

Where'd you get those?  Are they online?  I can never find shit like that (damned rich-ass Mac community)

Raikus

QuoteDavid Cross Stand up CD

Loved Mr. Show and thought I'd like his comedy CD, but I thought it sucked. There's nothing worse than recycled political humor and last ditch digs at religion. At least the DJ bit was funny. As for my CD's, they're now the property of the Rest Area 172 local bum. I thought he may be able to improve his grooming with them.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ebeaman69Is it either of these....

see-gurr-ross OR cy-gurr-ross

Trust me, it's see-gurr. Or, more like see-goor.

(I took an Icelandic Mythology class. There were a lot of Sigurs.)

Dirk

Godspeed You!  Black Emperor (they're coming here in a week... hope they're good live)

Apparently they're really good. How long you been a fan?

Quote from: PRadiohead (tracks from upcoming album)

Where'd you get those?  Are they online?  I can never find shit like that (damned rich-ass Mac community)[/quote]

I got a whole bunch of live ones if you want me to email them to you.
At wave level, everything exists as a contradiction. Everything is existing in more than one stage/place at any given moment. Everything must move/vibrate and constantly change to exist. Everything, including buildings, mountains, oceans and thoughts.

Bud_Clay

Quote from: mogwaiGodspeed You! Black Emperor

ABSOLUTELY! they kick ass like i cant imagine...i also agree with ELO & radiohead as well as others i have forgotten about by now.

Here's my list of what has not already been mentioned:
*Air
*Goldfrapp
*Quasi
*Elliott Smith
*Squarepusher
*Supertramp
*Jon Brion
*Stereolab
*Phillip Glass
*Björk

Ernie

Quote from: Bill Maplewood
Quote from: mogwaiGodspeed You! Black Emperor

ABSOLUTELY! they kick ass like i cant imagine...i also agree with ELO & radiohead as well as others i have forgotten about by now.

Here's my list of what has not already been mentioned:
*Air
*Goldfrapp
*Quasi
*Elliott Smith
*Squarepusher
*Supertramp
*Jon Brion
*Stereolab
*Phillip Glass
*Björk

Does Air have an album out or what? I love "playground love", that's one of my favorite songs...I've been trying to find some other songs by them.

Also, are there any cool Supertramp songs other than "goodbye stranger" and "the logical song"? I've been wanting to download some more by them.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: ebeaman69Also, are there any cool Supertramp songs other than "goodbye stranger" and "the logical song"? I've been wanting to download some more by them.

I've heard supertramp songs that are equally as fun as those two, but I can't remember the names   :(

Bud_Clay

Quote from: ebeaman69
Does Air have an album out or what? I love "playground love", that's one of my favorite songs...I've been trying to find some other songs by them.
Air has 4 albums out including the soundtrack to "The Virgin Suicides"..you definitely need to get their latest two albums "10,000HZ Legend" & "Moon Safari".. if you just want to download songs here are some amazing ones:
*Radio #1 *Sex Born Poison *People In The City *Sexy Boy *Kelly Watch The Stars *Remeber
Those are some highlights...i do recommend buying the albums anyway.

Quote from: ebeaman69Also, are there any cool Supertramp songs other than "goodbye stranger" and "the logical song"? I've been wanting to download some more by them.
You totally should get album "Breakfast In America"..that album not only includes the songs in Magnolia but also includes some other songs of amazment...i wouldnt recommend any other of their albums because a lot of their other albums carry only one or two enjoyable songs. That's a fabulous album nevertheless.
Fucking great songs by supertramp:
*Gone Hollywood *Oh Darling *Breakfast In America *Child Of Vision

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffinHow do you ask for "()" at the record store?

Quote from: RegularKarateWhere'd you get those?  Are they online?
here's a page with video and mp3s from a christmas webcast where they performed a lot of new songs. and u can get lisbon live bootlegs from kazaa.

Quote from: ebeaman69Does Air have an album out or what? I love "playground love", that's one of my favorite songs...I've been trying to find some other songs by them..
are u related to sexterrossa? search engines are ur friend.
under the paving stones.

Ernie

Quote from: Pare u related to sexterrossa? search engines are ur friend.

Yeah I know, sorry...I just didn't want to have to sift through all the mediocre songs they had, you know all the inevitable "filler tracks", I hate sifting through that shit. I only wanted to know what the good stuff was.

Great song recommendations by the way Bill, those songs are fucking amazing.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: P
are u related to sexterrossa? search engines are ur friend.

Low blow Pubrick.... low blow

Ghostboy

Currently listening frequently to:

Nick Cave (Nocturama and the rest of the catalog too)
Bjork (everything)
Roots (Phrenology)
Common (Electric Circus)
OutKast (everything)
Nick Drake (Bryter Later, Five Leaves Left)
Radiohead (listening to all their CDs in chronological order is awesome!)
Beck (Sea Change)

With additional spins  these days from The Beatles, Dylan, Mogwai, Belle and Sebastien, Trail Of The Dead, Ramones, and yes, Sigur Ros! And the immortal Pixies.

jmj

I'm all about Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, and Bjork as of late.  I've also been into a lot of down south blues mostly Missisippi John Hurt and Son House.  There are two excellent local bands I listen too constantly, Ghostcar http://www.ghostcar.net and The Theatre Fire http://www.thetheaterfire.com/ if you get a chance check out some of their MP3's.  The new Common is incredible and I just got my hands on a KRS-ONE mix CD that's pretty damn good.
Gorobei Katayama: You're Good.
Heihachi Hayashida: Yeah, yeah. But I'm better at killing enemies.
Gorobei Katayama: Killed many?
Heihachi Hayashida: Well - It's impossible to kill 'em all, so I ususally run away.
Gorobei Katayama: A splendid principle!
Heihachi Hayashida: Thank you.

Pubrick

Quote from: jmjI'm all about Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, and Bjork as of late.  ... and I just got my hands on a KRS-ONE mix CD that's pretty damn good.
i can't believe it. a cool newb.

P approves. :yabbse-thumbup:
under the paving stones.