Ann Miller

Started by Chest Rockwell, January 22, 2004, 05:55:51 PM

Chest Rockwell

Dancer Ann Miller Dies at 81

Dancer Ann Miller, one of the most memorable stars of musicals during their golden era in the 40s and 50s, died Thursday in Los Angeles of lung cancer; she was 81. A dark-haired beauty with legs that literally went up to there, Miller began her professional dancer as a child, taking dance lessons to help straighten her legs after a bout with rickets. She signed with RKO in 1937, when she was a mere 14, appearing in New Faces of 1937 and as part of the ensemble cast of Stage Door. Her fast-tapping talents – she claimed a record-holding 500 taps a minute – won her a string of roles in musicals for RKO and Republic, including Melody Ranch and Hit Parade of 1941. When the "golden era" of MGM musicals came along in the late 40s, Miller was too old to play the ingénue, but that didn't keep her from taking on memorable, second-lead roles in films like Easter Parade (where she was a last-minute substitute for Cyd Charisse, who broke her leg), The Kissing Bandit, On the Town, and her crowning achievement, Kiss Me, Kate, where she sang and danced the legendary number, "Too Darn Hot." During her years at MGM, she dated studio mogul Louis B. Mayer, but declined his offer of marriage. When the popularity of big-budget dance musicals declined in the late 50s, Miller pretty much ended her film career, but continued working extensively in television and on the stage. She experienced a second wave of popularity in the late 70s when she starred opposite Mickey Rooney in the Broadway show Sugar Babies, which toured extensively throughout the 80s; she later remarked that the show helped her become financially independent. Eschewing modern films because of their emphasis on sex and nudity, she made a brief but memorable return in David Lynch's Mulholland Drive, her last screen credit.

MacGuffin

She did work with other directors besides Lynch and make other films besides "Mulholland Drive."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Chest Rockwell

I decided to put her here because I figured it was her last performance...probably the one most people here would remember or would know of.

I think you're just jealous I found the article first  :wink:

Chest Rockwell

Actually it should be moved to In front of the Camera. I don't know how to do that, so if you or someone else could, I'd be most obliged.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Chest RockwellI think you're just jealous I found the article first  :wink:

Compare the times I posted mine and you posted yours: http://xixax.com/viewtopic.php?t=3747&start=15

Who's jealous now?
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pas

First Slorg now Chest, how many fools will be humiliated trying to beat the master, HOW MANY FOR CHRIST'S SAKE ?!?

NEON MERCURY

..thats  a shame ....but like i always say.."she's in a much better place.....HEAVEN!!!!!

....the scene in Mulholland Dr. in which the camera moves into a closeup of her hand reaching innside to bowl to get the walnuts(or whatever)...is forever etched into you mind.....and mine mind..in time..... fine.?

Chest Rockwell

Quote from: MacGuffinWho's jealous now?

Damn you MacGuffin  :roll:

Sleuth

There's no eyerolling on the forums.  You've been warned.
I like to hug dogs