The Official Twin Peaks Thread (TOTPT)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 15, 2003, 03:29:03 PM

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Oh, MC Chris, just when I think you're washed up and out of talent, you come back with a Twin Peaks song.
That'll do, nerd, that'll do.

modage

USA NETWORK'S "PSYCH" MARKS "TWIN PEAKS" 20TH ANNIVERSARY

WITH A 'DAMN FINE' TRIBUTE EPISODE

ON WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 1

Series Originals Sherilyn Fenn, Sheryl Lee, Dana Ashbrook, Ray Wise, Robyn Lively,
Lenny Von Dohlen and Catherine Coulson to guest star

NEW YORK, NEW YORK – October 15, 2010 – When PSYCH returns for its fall run in November, viewers will be treated to a "Twin Peaks"-inspired episode scheduled to premiere on Wednesday, December 1 at 10/9c. Entitled "Dual Spires," the episode celebrates the 20th anniversary of the cult favorite with guest star casting that includes Sherilyn Fenn, Sheryl Lee, Dana Ashbrook, Ray Wise, Robyn Lively, Lenny Von Dohlen and Catherine Coulson. Series Star James Roday serves as co-writer along with Bill Callahan.

The episode kicks off with Shawn (Roday) and Gus (Dulé Hill) receiving a mysterious e-mail inviting them to the annual Cinnamon Festival in Dual Spires, a quirky Northern California town nearly invisible on the map. When they arrive the pair quickly find themselves embroiled in the mysterious death of local high school student Paula Merral. As Shawn and Gus unravel the many secrets of the town, they meet several local residents including town doctor/lawyer/veterinarian Donna Gooden (Sheryl Lee), Sheriff Andrew Jackson (Lenny Von Dohlen), proprietors of the local diner Robert and Michelle Barker (Dana Ashbrook and Robyn Lively), the mysterious Woman with Wood (Catherine Coulson) and enigmatic bookish beauty Maudette Hornsby (Sherilyn Fenn). The pool of suspects proves to be deeper than suspected as Shawn and Gus must work to figure out who killed Paula Merral. Ray Wise reprises his role from last season as Father Westley.

Additionally, songstress Julee Cruise, who performed music during the original run of "Twin Peaks," has signed on to perform the PSYCH Theme Song for the episode. The landmark series, that fashioned a widespread cult following, is celebrating its 20th anniversary this year.

PSYCH is executive produced by Steve Franks ("Big Daddy"), Kelly Kulchak and Chris Henze, with Universal Cable Productions in association with Tagline Pictures. Mel Damski ("Picket Fences") serves as the executive producer and as a director. Saladin K. Patterson ("The Bernie Mac Show"), Bill Callahan ("Scrubs") and Andy Berman ("Freddie") are co-executive producer/writers.

USA Network is a program service of NBC Universal Cable a division of NBC Universal, one of the world's leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience.

Universal Cable Productions creates quality content across multiple media platforms for USA, Syfy and other networks. A leader in innovative and critically acclaimed programming, UCP is the studio behind USA's Royal Pains, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Psych, In Plain Sight, Covert Affairs and Facing Kate, along with Syfy's Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Caprica. The studio also produced both long-running series Monk and Battlestar Galactica. UCP is a division of NBC Universal.

USA Network is the #1 network in all of basic cable and is seen in over 102 million U.S. homes. A division of NBC Universal, USA is the cable television leader in original series and home to the best in blockbuster theatrical films, acquired television series and entertainment events. The award-winning USA website is located at http://www.usanetwork.com. Characters Welcome.

http://dugpa.com/2010/11/09/exclusive-photos-from-the-psych-twin-peaks-tribute-episode-dual-spires-airing-december-1st-on-usa-network/
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

SiliasRuby

The 'Psych' episode is fantastic and even if you're not a fan of or have not watched 'psych' it was the perfect tribute episode. There are some blatant cues to the famous series and some easter eggs that only if you're a hardcore fan of 'Twin Peaks' (like me and Mod) will you catch and revel in. Some eerie moments for a mainly comedy show and since I know 'psych' pretty well the episode fit well into the series.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

Looking for gifts at Big Lots tonight I saw that they had Season 2 of Twin Peaks for $10.
Of course, it does me no good as I don't have Season 1 either.
Is that a good deal, or has the value diminished with the newer set?
I guess they will eventually hit Blu-Ray, too.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

SiliasRuby

I would suggest waiting for the gold box on blu-ray but I'm a twin peaks completist.

My Collection

tpfkabi

Quote from: SiliasRuby on December 19, 2010, 10:12:32 AM
I would suggest waiting for the gold box on blu-ray but I'm a twin peaks completist.

Yeah, I've slowed down a lot on Criterions, etc, because with my DVD-R player on it's last legs, it's time to upgrade to Blu-Ray.

SiliasRuby

My Collection

tpfkabi

Quote from: SiliasRuby on December 28, 2010, 03:48:41 AM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox

ok, I might get that.
looking at the Amazon page it looks like they had problems with discs 4 & 6, but they were sent replacements. hopefully, one i ordered now would be corrected.

Reel

I am so lost on this show, I started watching season 1 on DVD way back when but never got through it. Then I would just watch it on tv randomly whenever it was on, loving it. Now I see that the whole series is on IMDB and I just don't know where to start...oh well, here goes!

tpfkabi

I'm about a 1/3rd through Season 2. Just the other week all those pics above meant nothing to me. As I have been watching the series I was thinking how sad that all the females have aged 20 years, so now I see how some of them look now. Sad, not that they're living still, but sad because they were so bangin'.

Stefen

Just found out this series is streaming on Netflix. I've never seen it but I hear nothing but good things about it all the time.

I'm not really a big Lynch fan. I just don't get him, but I'm going to give this a try because I need a series to watch.

What should I be looking out for? Is it a comedy or a drama?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Jeremy Blackman

The Lynch-directed episodes are fantastic and have some classic Lynch moments, but the rest of the series is insanely mixed for me. Some of the acting is atrocious, and lots of the episodes I just don't like, not even for camp. When it tries really hard (really, really hard) to be noir, it often doesn't work. But it's still pretty much always entertaining.

Also, expect to be slightly distracted by late 80s / early 90s fashion, especially women's shoulderpads.

E: In terms of genre, I suppose it's dramedy. The most dramatic moments are usually at least 50% campy.

EE: Also... The movie is better than the TV show. The camp is dialed down, and the Lynch is cranked to 11. While I have mixed feelings about the show, it's one of my favorite movies.

Stefen

Just what I wanted. Thanks JB! Would you suggest I watch the movie first or the series?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

wilder

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on April 13, 2011, 06:33:41 PM
Also, expect to be slightly distracted by late 80s / early 90s fashion, especially women's shoulderpads.

I'm in a similar boat as Stefen when it comes to David Lynch. I haven't seen Fire Walk with Me but my favorite out of the features I've seen is probably Wild at Heart, maybe the most palatable movie to a non-Lynch fan. The late 80's / early 90s aesthetic you mention is a big draw for me when it comes to the Twin Peaks series...like a lot of Lynch's stuff I found the vibe more interesting than the actual story, only ever made it through the first half of the show. Maybe I'll finish it now that it's available streaming. I try to look at his stuff now more like moving paintings instead of viewing them as normal narrative features. Lynch is a weird motherfucker, but I guess that's stating the obvious.