A very special day

Started by Spike, May 03, 2003, 06:31:48 AM

Spike

Okay, yesterday there was special day:
I saw my first David Lynch-film (note that I'm 14).
It was "Lost Highway".
After I watched it I sat at my bed and just looked in the air, my mouth open. I couldn't order this experience in a special case.
What was this?
I real liked it, it was very impressive, but I didn't understand.
It was just beautiful!
I will buy more Lynch-films on DVD in future. That was great!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

joeybdot

I Watched my first Lynch Film at 15. God I Remember My reaction it was Lost Highway Also. wait a little bit before you watch Blue Velvet You might a little to young to understand same for Mulholland Drive!

Sleuth

Just keep thinking about it, or rewatch it.  It eventually makes sense
I like to hug dogs

Spike

This David Lynch seems to be a true genius.
He's so mysterious, I can't believe it!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Weak2ndAct

Ah, to be young and discover Lynch.  Definitely a wonderful and strange experience.

I stumbled upon Lynch-land at the young age of 10.  Twin Peaks hit television and got hooked b/c my mom got me to watch the pilot w/ her.  I became instantly obsessed.  The real trouble started when I noticed that every ad or interview was prefaced with "From the director of Blue Velvet."  I asked my dad if I could see it, and he said I was too young, which of course made me want to see it more.  I went to the video store and tried to rent it, but it was placed in the 'light adult' section.  Alas, I ended up getting it from the library of all places!  To top it off, I watched it with my 8 year old sister.  We both became full-fledged Lynch-fanatics and have been since.

The results: I'm a fledging filmmaker/writer w/ a twisted mind, and my sister is a mall girl who obsessed w/ crime scenes and criminology.

P.S. BOB gave her nightmares for years.

penfold0101

Spike, what are you thinking about trying next?

Twin peaks is most excellent, I try and make all my friends watch it.
But don’t watch Fire Walk With Me until you have seen everything else in the series.
The Pilot and the first 7 Episodes are essential viewing for any lynch fan, just make sure that the Pilot is US version and not the Euro one. As it spoils things a little.

Peace
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

MacGuffin

Spike, go deeper. Watch "Eraserhead" next.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

freakerdude

Quote from: SpikeThis David Lynch seems to be a true genius.
He's so mysterious, I can't believe it!

You are only 14 and liked Lost Highway as your first Lynch film? Now that is just too cool. I am 40 yo and a big Lynch fanatic.

Here's what I would rent next if not too late:

Wild At Heart - truely my favorite
Blue Velvet - another fav as well
Eraserhead - you need to be prepared for this  :crazyeyes:
Mulholland Drive
MC Pee Pants