Duran Duran concert

Started by Ravi, March 14, 2011, 02:28:18 PM

Ravi

http://www.avclub.com/articles/david-lynch-will-direct-a-duran-duran-concert,53120/

David Lynch will direct a Duran Duran concert
by Sean O'Neal March 14, 2011

American Express' "Unstaged" performance series has given us some rather inspired band and filmmaker pairings thus far—The National and D.A. Pennebaker, Arcade Fire and Terry Gilliam—but somehow those pale in comparison to David Lynch and Duran Duran. The Lynch-helmed video of Duran Duran's concert is the first film project we've heard of in a while from the increasingly music-minded director, and also one of the strangest given that Lynch's tastes tend to run toward the less, um, Duran Duran-like. Still, keyboardist Nick Rhodes believes their respective styles are a perfect fit, saying, "He works completely outside of the system, and that's what we try to do." The system said, "The definition of 'reflex' is an involuntary response to stimulus," and Duran Duran was like, "No way, system. The reflex is an only child—he's waiting in the park. The reflex is in charge of finding treasure in the dark." It's just that sort of status quo-bucking, unsettling surrealism that we expect Lynch will tease out of the band's songs when it streams live from L.A.'s Mayan Theatre on March 23, when we'll also learn that "Girls On Film" is a metaphor for how movie stardom is a form of prostitution.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

P Heat

GOT dammit Lynch. he needs to get off his music/lazy digital film making (Inland empire could of been better) period already  :yabbse-angry:

would like to see him return to form
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Pozer

author=P Heat

when i glance down at recent posts on the main page i keep thinking P has posted about Heat the movie or something, lols.

modage

Quote from: Pozer on March 18, 2011, 02:21:26 PM
author=P Heat

when i glance down at recent posts on the main page i keep thinking P has posted about Heat the movie or something, lols.

Me too. Too confusing.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

P Heat

tooo bad lol   :yabbse-grin:

I been a fan of both the film and my home basketball team for years
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.

ono

P Heat

It's streaming now.

it was OK. Lynch Still knows how to use black and white  :yabbse-grin:

MacGuffin

Duran Duran concert film snapped up at Cannes
Source: WENN

Duran Duran's 2011 concert film, which was directed by David Lynch, has become one of the first big success stories of this year's Cannes Film Festival.

Arclight Films executives have snapped up the international rights to Duran Duran Unstaged and plan to launch it during the festival in France, which began on Wednesday.

The band was filmed by the Twin Peaks director performing at the Mayan Theatre in Los Angeles as part of an online concert streaming initiative. The footage aired the same night as the gig, but it has not been seen since.

Arclight Films managing director Gary Hamilton tells WENN, "We're honored to be representing this unique film, and working with such an incredible team of entertainment industry professionals, whose artistic endeavors have had such a profound effect on people all over the world.

"Duran Duran Unstaged is a breakthrough in moviemaking. It's an experience that marries the arts of film and music in a distinctly creative and refreshing manner that will appeal to audiences worldwide."

Talking about filming the concert, which featured Mark Ronson, Gerard Way, Kelis and Beth Ditto, director Lynch says, "The idea was to try and create, on the fly, layers of images permeating Duran Duran on the stage. (It was) a world of experimentation and some happy accidents."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

i saw duran duran in 2011, in alabama, im assuming thats not going to be in the film

MacGuffin

Quote from: 03 on May 16, 2013, 09:37:04 AM
i saw duran duran in 2011, in alabama, im assuming thats not going to be in the film

They don't take requests.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Tells me aboudit! They didn't play rio til the end