Jennifer Lynch's Hisss

Started by Ravi, January 04, 2009, 02:13:39 PM

Ravi

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 11, 2008, 12:34:38 PM
Jennifer Lynch Takes on Snake Woman

http://www.bollywoodhungama.com/features/2008/10/01/4363/index.html

Mallika's deadly Snake Woman look in Jennifer Lynch's Hissss
By Bollywood Hungama News Network, October 1, 2008 - 16:17 IST

Now this one's a first for Mallika Sherawat. The Bollywood hottie is all set to play the role of a 'Naagin' in the Bollywood- Hollywood co-production, Hissss, directed by renowned Hollywood director Jennifer Lynch.

The film, which also stars Irrfan Khan, is about the vengeance of a 'Naagin' (The Snake Woman) and is produced by Govind Menon & Vikram Singh. From the looks of it, a lot of detailing and effort seems to have gone in getting the right look for Mallika Sherawat's character. Mallika's character is of a snake that transforms into a stunningly attractive woman.

Robert Kurtzman, one of the greatest special effects artists of the West, has been entrusted with the job of giving the right look for Mallika in this film. Robert has worked on films such as Vanilla Sky, Pulp fiction, Spy Kids and Evil Dead. The kind of make-up used is MUFX (prosthetic make-up) which is a technology that has won numerous awards. Two make-up artists have been working on Mallika's look and the material she wears is so slimy that at times it just sticks to the skin. What's more Madame Sherawat can't even move in her natural way with her make-up and at times is even carried to the sets. As for those scary eyes, Mallika is seen wearing some really huge contact lenses to get the desired effect.

Bollywood has seen films like Naagin, Nagina and Jaani Dushman, which had actors transform into snakes and seek revenge but going by the detailing and styling gone into getting the right look for the Snake Woman in this film, we can safely say that this is a first of its kind in Bollywood.

Ravi

Jennifer Lynch's film Hissss came out this week to terrible reviews.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/30/2010102520101025020304764abd031c0/I-didn%E2%80%99t-make-that-film.html

I didn't make that film
Insists the director of Hisss, Jennifer Lynch, while accusing the film's producers for having taken the project away from her much before the pre-production stage
Subhash K Jha
Posted On Monday, October 25, 2010 at 02:03:04 AM

This was meant to be the international collaboration: David Lynch's daughter Jennifer Lynch directing Mallika Sherawat in a film about a snake-woman. But guess what? Lynch left the project and India before editing the material.

A source close to the project says, "What Jennifer shot is very different from what we finally see in Hisss." Apparently, the film's co-producer Govind Menon, who directed a couple of duds with Sherawat (Khwahish and Kis Kis Ki Kismat) put together the final material in Hisss.

When contacted, Jennifer Lynch reveals, "Hisss was taken away from me in the edit. I have no idea what the film looks like. I came close to a directors' cut, which Mallika, Venus and producers (Govind Menon and Vikram Singh) referred to as 'European, languid and sensual' all the things I thought were compliments.

Apparently, that did not make them happy. I have no idea what is out there. Good or bad, I cannot take credit for it. Aside from shots and performances that I pray have not been butchered."We'll let the critics clarify that last bit for her.

Jennifer wanted to make the film a love story. She added, "They took the songs out; they wanted more horror."

Despite all this, the director hopes to return to India someday. Will bygones be bygones for her? She says, "My name is all over it (the film). I can do nothing. But I want to come back."

Meanwhile, Mallika, her brother Vikram Singh and Govind Menon were busy giving interviews on Hisss. But Ratan Jain of Venus was nowhere to be seen.

Despite having major financial stakes in Hisss, Jain has been in London for the past two weeks.

When asked about his apparent lack of interest in a project that reportedly cost him close to Rs 50 crore, Jain says, "How can I take personal interest in every film we produce? I've a strong team in Mumbai looking into the project's progress."

So Jain is all for teamwork, but a source tells us, "Soon after Ratan Jain decided to fund Hisss, he knew it was a dubious project. Mallika Sherawat's buddy Govind Menon and brother Vikram Singh had joined hands, only to promote her and give themselves a foothold in the industry."

When asked if Venus came on board because of Mallika, Ratan Jain says, "No. It was the whole snake theme. Our audience loves movies about nagins. Also a very distinguished British director David Lynch's daughter, Jennifer, was directing the film."

'Was' being the operative word.

I like how the producer called David Lynch "British."

Pubrick

Quote from: Ravi on October 24, 2010, 05:56:14 PM
I like how the producer called David Lynch "British."

haha, well "distinguished American" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.
under the paving stones.