The Jacket

Started by MacGuffin, January 17, 2005, 06:36:03 AM

Finn

I hate it when actors like Adrien Brody win the Oscar because they can never seem to get really good movies again after that.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

Pozer

Quote from: GhostboyIt's not what you got but how you flaunt it.
so like full on naked? Did she look good? Well...did you cum or what?

NEON MERCURY

Quote from: Small Town LonerI hate it when actors like Adrien Brody win the Oscar because they can never seem to get really good movies again after that.

:finger:

Ghostboy

Quote from: POZER
so like full on naked? Did she look good? Well...did you cum or what?

In answer to your three questions: no (just topless) / sure / no

Also, here's my more lengthy review.

RegularKarate

Man, this thing is just plain ROTTEN.

Don't waste your time with this, it really doesn't have anything redeeming.

Brody is decent, but a good actor surrounded by shit still smells.

There are GAPING plot holes left and right and really no motivation for almost anything the characters do.  Almost none of the events make any sense at all and the film takes itself FAR too seriously... it really thinks it's a lot more than it actually is.

I would have a hard time believing the director has seen any movie made before the nineties... it's such a bad wannabe movie, but it's a generic kind of wanna-be in that it just kind of copies random shit from other movies that may or may not have been good and copies it poorly.

I really feel kind of robbed of my time here.

Pubrick

and so the bar is set for best negative review of the year.
under the paving stones.

Gamblour.

I saw this. It's not as wretched as RK says. It's not brilliant. It's kinda like a mindless entertainment movie, only there's more mind and less entertainment. By more mind, I mean you're thinking about things more, that doesn't mean there's necessarily more to think about.

The style is really effective, the scenes when he puts on the jacket and the shots of his memories are really good, I think. If you try and keep up with the plot, it's pretty rewarding until the ending, which is plain shit.

Brody is great. Knightley is pretty bad, she can't pull off being a skank at all. Her being naked, eh, it's pretty cool, a novelty at least. Kristofferson is pretty fucking cool.

The writing is the worst part, but there are some great moments. Mainly, the plot lends itself to being hated because there are plot holes that come with a time travel movie, but there are big ones that just don't make any sense. The dialogue is often great, and some scenes really work. Brody and that crazy guy have good moments, Brody and Knightley do together.

The main thing to remember at the end is that you are smarter than the movie and it is much simpler than you should ever think. Ignore discrepancies and the plot is pretty easy. Now, if they had handled it like Primer, the story would be a million times better.
WWPTAD?