Author Topic: The Wolf of Wall Street  (Read 21859 times)

Kal

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Success is not a goal, it's a byproduct.
  • Respect: +183
Re: The Wolf of Wall Street
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »
That's your opinion, but the fact is that the character is very real.

And Zuckerberg's story and his personality was told from someone else's point of view, with Zuck wanting zero involvement. Jesse Eisenberg didn't even meet Zuck at all. So it was harder to make it accurate if you base it on other opinions.

This story was told first hand by Jordan, and he was very involved in the script as well as spending time with Leo and Marty to make things as accurate as possible. You never see movies that are so close to the books as this one.

And once you realize that everything that happened is real, and that the character is real, and that many other stories have been inspired from real characters like him, then I believe it gets to be much more interesting. Boiler Room was inspired on Stratton Oakmont. People like that movie told from the point of view of a schmuck that supposedly worked for Jordan.

wilder

• Respect: +1432
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2013, 10:17:08 PM »
+1

jenkins

• Respect: +1207
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »
"Some of this actually happened."
isn't that a great way to put it (american hustle's opening title card)
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

Neil

• Being genuine just isn't enough these days.
  • Respect: +155
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

Cloudy

• The Meeting with the Goddess
  • Respect: +253
« Reply #109 on: December 28, 2013, 12:13:53 AM »
American Cinematographer
http://www.theasc.com/ac_magazine/December2013/TheWolfofWallStreet/page1.php

You'll notice that this might be the most boring and basic AC article you have ever read, which completely explains why I couldn't sink my teeth into the cinematography of the film. All of the concepts and ideas behind the cinematography were so empty and uninspired.

ElPandaRoyal

• Respect: +103
« Reply #110 on: December 28, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »
+4
I think it's a good time to just leave this here

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2013/12/wolf_of_wall_street_prousalis.php?

Haven't seen the movie yet, but these are the kinds of articles that usually come around this time of the year whenever a big movie comes out. Last year it was all about Zero Dark Thirty and its use of torture, then the gears shifted to how acurate Argo really was, and now this. The idea that people assume filmmakers should be the ones to morally judge their characters is completely weird to me. I mean, since we're talking about Scorsese, who doesn't watch GoodFellas and have fun with it. It's a riot, and yet it's about mob killers. The movie doesn't judge them, it hopes for the viewer to do so based on common sense.

What this article does is exactly what it shouldn't do. It tries to talk people out of watching a movie that, either for better or worse, is about a serious subject. Again, I haven't seen it, but even if during the whole 180 minutes of it we don't see the consequences of Belfort's actions, most viewers in the audience should know them very well, they probably are feeling them themselves. We always complain about how some films dumb down audiences, but when it comes to so called "important" subjects, everybody thinks they should be talking to their audience as if they're 5 years old. If people leave the theatre idolising Belfort, well, I'm sorry to say they are as big as idiots as the ones who left A Clockwork Orange wanting to be like Alex or the ones that left Fight Club wanting to be Space Monkeys.

But what really bothers me about this piece of writing in particular is how the writer sees herself as an innocent victim (and I don't doubt she was fucked over by her dad, most of these Wall Street guys are disgusting) and unaware of what was going on around her, but at the same time talks about how much coke she did. I'm sure the poor girl didn't know drugs were illegal, and a shit ton of people die in drug trafficking.

So yeah, if the movie is bad, or long, or whatever, I get it, but I just can't get behind these kinds of campaigns.
Si

Alexandro

• Respect: +455
« Reply #111 on: December 28, 2013, 07:00:37 PM »
+2
that article is basically a promo for her own memoir, which she will publish shortly. a fact that, without having seen the film yet, feels like it's validating what I'm presuming is it's main point, that the whole of modern society has become an empty circus of greed and guiltless crimes with no self awareness whatsoever.

Neil

• Being genuine just isn't enough these days.
  • Respect: +155
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2013, 10:11:46 PM »
+2
I've yet to see the movie either, & I posted it for that exact reason, the ridiculousness found inside that piece of published b******* just blows my mind. From what some of you have been saying it seems like Scorsese kind of did the opposite of what she's suggesting too, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see when I watch this
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

cine

• Pretttttyyy, Pretttyyyyy Pretty Good
  • Admin
  • Respect: +280
« Reply #113 on: January 01, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »
perhaps i missed something but i watched this yesterday and loved it. very engrossing picture and the 3 hours flew by.

Barely Spoilers:

dat scene with Leo trying to get Jonah off the phone. good lawd.

RegularKarate

• Admin
  • Respect: +168
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/regularkarate/
« Reply #114 on: January 01, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »
+3
perhaps i missed something but i watched this yesterday and loved it. very engrossing picture and the 3 hours flew by.

Absolutely flew by. Amazing movie and I don't get the hate... this is Scorsese doing some of his best work. Blew me away.

I keep getting really pissed at my Facebook friends posting about that dumb open letter and how this movie is irresponsible... it's like they don't know how to watch movies.

©brad

• Admin
  • Respect: +211
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2014, 10:07:27 PM »
That letter is so dumb. I got all ranty on two different friends who posted it.

I definitely liked the movie. It's one showstopping scene after another. I still feel it was a tad long and repetitive after a while, and yet I'm not sure we got enough of what made Jordan such a great salesman.

There is a lot going on in that final scene I'm still trying to unpack.

jenkins

• Respect: +1207
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »
it's fun and zany and wooo 3hrs? a lot to think about here
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

Kal

• Success is not a goal, it's a byproduct.
  • Respect: +183
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »

ElPandaRoyal

• Respect: +103
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2014, 06:17:42 AM »
+1
AHAH. These people are insane. But well, in the age of reality TV, it makes complete sense for a father and daughter to use the media to trash each other publicly. Who's coming next? I bet it's a grandma.
Si

Alexandro

• Respect: +455
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2014, 11:08:09 AM »
yep. that letter is pretty funny and sad. I don't think any of them realize how crazy they and absurd they are. this guy rambling on about his "beautiful hellenic" new wife and how she has brought shame to the whole family...Sounds like a loaded family for sure.

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy