MacGuffin

Best DVD Release: Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier

THE NOMINEES

Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier
The Conformist
Dazed and Confused: Criterion Collection
Eric Rohmer's Six Moral Tales: Criterion Collection
Seven Samurai: Criterion Collection
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

grand theft sparrow

:yabbse-thumbdown:

No Hearts of Darkness, no vote.

modage

i'll tell you this, because i am the first one complaining every year but i cannot BELIEVE a criterion didn't win this year.  it may have been the first year in a few that they really did make the best dvd (of the nominees) anyhow.  and the Apocalypse Now disc isn't even that pimp!  it just collects the two previously released versions and packages them together.  as jack said, not even Hearts Of Darkness!  even i voted for Seven Samurai, but i think there were too many Criterion's nominated and they split the vote!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pubrick

that's true. maybe a separate category for best criterion release will give borat a better chance next year.
under the paving stones.

OrHowILearnedTo

Quote from: modage on March 07, 2007, 08:12:56 AM
i'll tell you this, because i am the first one complaining every year but i cannot BELIEVE a criterion didn't win this year.  it may have been the first year in a few that they really did make the best dvd (of the nominees) anyhow.  and the Apocalypse Now disc isn't even that pimp!  it just collects the two previously released versions and packages them together.  as jack said, not even Hearts Of Darkness!  even i voted for Seven Samurai, but i think there were too many Criterion's nominated and they split the vote!

cause criterions dont go for $15

modage

thats never been a problem before.  a criterion dvd has won this category every other year but one where it was beaten by the superdeluxe Lord Of The Rings.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Is price a factor in Best DVD?

I mean, for your money combined with quality, Eric Rohmer should've beaten out Apocalypse Now.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

last days of gerry the elephant

Quote from: Walrus on March 09, 2007, 12:43:50 PM
Eric Rohmer should've beaten out Apocalypse Now.

Wow, I'm I glad someone said it.

Ravi

Plus, no original aspect ratio on Apocalypse Now.

Alexandro

yes, no original ratio, but it looks and sounds (specially sounds) better than any other dvd i can think of...given the film in question, that for me, it's enough of a tremendous plus for it to win...

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

So Dossiers are cooler than Criterions to you now!?!
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

john

Quote from: Walrus on March 13, 2007, 11:20:52 AM
So Dossiers are cooler than Criterions to you now!?!

Dossiers ain't got no silly, stupid "C" covering up an otherwise decent cover.

though, I'm not really that impressed with the Apocalypse Now disc...all it really did for me is make space on my shelf by steamlining the two previous copies I had.

Had I voted, I'd have voted for Dazed, though. Long time coming and worth the wait, that disc was.

But I didn't so my say means....ah...squat.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

A Matter Of Chance

Though the Rohmer was awesome, I have to say, I voted for the Conformist - talk about a long time coming. I bought it for ten bucks, too.