Know Your Xixax: Donation begging and site news

Started by Xixax, December 02, 2006, 08:52:14 PM

cine

Quote from: Pwaybloe on December 28, 2007, 10:03:09 AM
If donations are needed to help support this sole activity, then I can contribute.     

a lot of donations will be needed to support this activity, you're right. i'll PM you my address and can shoot off a money order to me... i'll make sure Mac gets it.

Stefen

I'd probably just send it to Mac directly. So he can make sure Cine gets it.

And don't you have to be admin approved before you can post? You should make new members write an essay on why they think they should be allowed to be a part of this community. If they say something like "Because you let Stefen in" then that probably means they shouldn't be allowed to participate.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

last days of gerry the elephant

Is this the start of Xixax becoming invite only?

cine

at the very least, Mac and I will make sure stefen gets it.

Chest Rockwell

XIXAX isn't a PTA board, so I don't think it will attract large numbers of curious interneters like PDL apparently did for the old board.

MacGuffin

Thanks to Pwaybloe and everyone for their concern, but no worries about unruly members. While we don't do an extensive background check, we do try to weed out anyone here just to pimp their wares and not be an active participant. But we can never know if a member we activate will turn out to be a ruffian, and, to be honest, I can't even remember the last time we had a problem member, so I think the admin staff has done tip-top.

I can understand where this is coming from, with the release of TWBB, a concern that a whole flood of new recuits will be coming in to make this a mini-imdb. The thing is, cig&rv doesn't even link us on their site anymore. So, we only really have to worry about wayward Googlers who would like to know more about buttmash.

Update on the donation front: We received half our goal so far. Thanks to all those who have contributed. If you would still like to slip some money into xixax's g-string, you're still able to. And if you just want to be a wallflower and enjoy the peep show and not let your significant other know what you do in your off hours, we welcome voyeurs too.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

In the next few weeks I'll make a decent donation. I haven't because I've been very poor everytime it came to collection, but I'm on way out of the board. I need to give something back before I leave. My posting has diminished and its always harder to find good topics and I don't see any positives for me here in the future. I value some members for their insight and want them to know they kept me on the board for the last few years, but it's become filled with too much bullshit. I doubt my departure will be much of a loss considering the make up of the board as is now.

Haha, I understand I've tried to leave the board before. There is even a banner in honor of it, but it's real this time.

Pubrick

don't overreact.

my reply was a joke (refer to the SMILEY at the end of it) and any hostility in it was aimed at family guy. as you know i've been generally a supporter of yours for a while now. the references in that thread were not in-jokey at all... (eg. maya kash = dude with a dog humping his leg.. anyone can get that. pas rapport = frenchman painting the computer monitor.. BRILLIANT). it was genius that a running gag was created out of nowhere in a topic that deserved much less.. it's like when grafiti artists make something beautiful out of an otherwise forgettable empty wall. but humour is not your strongpoint, and i made light of that. it's the same reason i don't comment on any sports topic -- i know nothing about it.

i suppose the other event that might hav pushed you over the edge is hedwig's completely HARMLESS vent in the awards thread. i think you took his ludicrous post too seriously and started a debate about "backing up your opinions" when all the dude said was "FUCK THEM!"... no back up needed, your objection seemed out of place.

the fact you thought gamblour was 17 based on reading his reviews shows you're just out of touch. if anything, gamblour has recently undergone a massive transformation -- maybe he took a few writing classes or something -- cos his reviews have become about as original and polarizing as your own.

if you wanna leave then don't blame the board cos i don't think your finger has ever been exactly on the pulse about what goes on around here. you'll be missed.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

If anyone else wants to leave money on the table on their way out, we're not gonna stop you. But you know we've showed you a good time, and you'll be back for more. We give good film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick on January 02, 2008, 12:21:22 AM
maybe he took a few writing classes or something -- cos his reviews have become about as original and polarizing as your own.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. My reviews are polarizing and not only for the positions I take, but for the way I go about them. It's never been happy agreeance with me and everyone, but things have changed. Before I'd get more people who would argue with what I said. My last arguments over the past few months have been about how I say things. I am ten times more likely going to have to defend my method of reviewing instead of what I say. That makes for arguments that go into personal matters and it's annoying. I feel I have learned a lot and this board has helped to develop my opinion but when I write arguments it tends to get looked over.

My leaving has absolutely NOTHING to do with recent events. It's been a long time coming. In hindsight, I should have clarified that. I look back to recent arguments and realize they were probably situations I should have better avvoided, but I've always been a dufus in that area and I'll admit my wrongs. I wish I knew a lot of you better so the banter wasn't a jungle gym for me with guessing motive and context.

I'm also not leaving right away. I have a Magnolia piece to publish and a small film called There Will be Blood to watch and review. I guess the point is my leaving has everything to do with what is said in the first paragraph. I don't want to be the guy who personally prides himself for sounding the most professional. I hate the idea of resting on an established voice on the board and making it my ticket to legitimacy. I want long arguments and challenging discussions that make me re-think my positions. I want to be able to grow from that. I know a lot of people that have come long ways to turn into great reviewers but they seem fewer in numbers these days.

I just feel like I hit a plateau and my arguments from now on will be petty and personal. The worst parts about me will be brought out. It's not a good thing to taste in your mouth.

Sleepless

GT, I just wanna say that if and when you do leave, you will be very missed. Part of the joy of Xixax has always been reading other people's opinions of films that are vastly different from my own. That's part of what makes this such a great community, at least in my opinion: pretty much everyone here sees things slightly different, and it's always good to reconsider things from another perspective. And despite what you might think, there are some of us who thoroughly appreciate professional and intellectual reviews and essays, as well as long arguments and challenging discussions. Of course, sometimes we just lurk without adding to them ourselves ;) Also, I think you've done a great job with the Green Screen, so I want to thank you personally for that. I get what you're saying though. Just wanted to say your voice will be missed.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Chest Rockwell

Well, GT, if you do leave you can go out knowing that your opinions will be missed. I've been here only on-and-off for a while, but you and others like godardian were partly really inspired me to go and really write about film. I never really understood the 'robot' impression some seem to have of you; I always saw a pretty great passion for writing clearly and eloquently about something you loved.

So good luck and great success getting that Masters and PhD.

Stefen

GT, why don't you just take a break? I took a break from mid 2005 until mid 2006 (a whole year) to get control of my drinking problem, and I came back with a drug problem.

Maybe you should start drinking and doing drugs?
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Stefen on January 02, 2008, 10:10:08 AM
GT, why don't you just take a break?

Ehh, I'm considering that so everyone hold onto the goodbyes. They are appreciated though.

Gamblour.

Yeah I've definitely taken a couple of long breaks myself. They help, absences. And don't leave because I called you a grandpa with leaky bowels on funny threads.

Quote from: Pubrick on January 02, 2008, 12:21:22 AM
maybe he took a few writing classes or something

I graduated college/grew up a lot. (don't go read my review of Once...:-/)
WWPTAD?