The Office

Started by Redlum, September 19, 2003, 11:46:50 AM

Sleuth

Quote from: Ravi

Coming November 16th.

amazon is saying that this will be over $20

does anybody have info on all of the bountiful extras they're stuffing it with to merit that price?
I like to hug dogs

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Sleuthamazon is saying that this will be over $20

does anybody have info on all of the bountiful extras they're stuffing it with to merit that price?
But, it's The Office. What more do you need?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Sleuth

more than an hour's worth
I like to hug dogs

The Perineum Falcon

Quote from: Sleuthmore than an hour's worth
:(
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Sleuth

Yeah, more than an hour's worth.  I don't think I'm being unreasonable here
I like to hug dogs

cine

Quote from: SleuthYeah, more than an hour's worth.
Bonus features include director's commentary, an exclusive behind-the-scenes documentary, making of "Freelove Freeway" single, a music clip of the "Freelove Freeway" single and the "If You Don't Love Me By Now" complete music video.

Sleuth

OKAY YOU GUYS, I'M IN!
I like to hug dogs

cine

I watched all of season 2 last night.

(incoming spoilers)

I can see where picolas is coming from with how the episodes end, but I also agree with Ravi in that I'm glad it took a more sincere approach. The sub-plot between Dawn and Tim was fantastic and after Tim paid for a kiss and Dawn insisted they kiss.. that moment was worth all the time and money I ever put into the show. And the last episode with David pleading for his job back.. I have to say, I felt so bad for him that my eyes were almost going to water too. But in an earlier scene, when he's told he's being let go, and he gets up revealing the bird costume.. I think that was the funniest bit out of the entire series.

Now I just need to see all those specials that came after season 2. There's a thing in Entertainment Weekly promoting a special that'll be on in late October. Is that the same thing coming to DVD in November?

FeloniousFunk

Quote from: Weak2ndAct
I've seen the pilot for the American take.  It works and it doesn't.  Steve Carrell doesn't even bother trying to ape Gervais, he takes the boss role into a whole other realm of bad jokes and awkwardness, most of his scenes are cringe-inducing (in a good way).  The guy they got for Tim is trying to hard to ape Martin Freeman, but he works.  The Dawn character could have been cuter.  As for Gareth, well... let's just hope they take Rainn Wilson in a different direction.  He just comes off too creepy and nuts.

The pilot is basically a copy of the first Brit Office, albeit w/ some american-ized references and some trims here and there.  I still laughed at some of the old jokes, and even at some of the new ones.  

I'm glad to hear that they're going 'off-book' for the 6 mid-season episodes that were ordered.

I picked up a copy of the UK edition of Esquire, and there's an article mentioning that NBC isn't going to put it on the air after seeing the pilot episode.

"NBC canned The Office in pre-production. Network bosses fear that the show remained too close to the English original in two crucial ways. First, US viewers are much less familiar with the style of observational documentary parodied in The Office. The other is that (Michael) Scott  retains Brent's loser status.

It remains a striking fact that Britcoms are often about losers, while US shows feature winners. The Friends characters have the apartments of millionaires; Frasier may be a pain but he's a celebrity shrink. I recently gave a talk about TV comedy to some Americans who were simply bemused by Brent. How could someone so hapless hold down that job?

This may be a bizarre objection, given that George W. Bush frequently looks like David Brent as President, but the view that failure isn't funny is the likeliest reason for the failure of The Office: An American Workplace."

Weak2ndAct

Unless something's changed in the past few days, the American version is still on.  A couple days ago, I met someone who works on the show and grilled them about what's what.

The show is set for midseason.  6 episode commitment, all new stories.

lamas

I picked up a copy of the UK edition of Esquire, and there's an article mentioning that NBC isn't going to put it on the air after seeing the pilot episode.

"NBC canned The Office in pre-production. Network bosses fear that the show remained too close to the English original in two crucial ways. First, US viewers are much less familiar with the style of observational documentary parodied in The Office. The other is that (Michael) Scott  retains Brent's loser status.

It remains a striking fact that Britcoms are often about losers, while US shows feature winners. The Friends characters have the apartments of millionaires; Frasier may be a pain but he's a celebrity shrink. I recently gave a talk about TV comedy to some Americans who were simply bemused by Brent. How could someone so hapless hold down that job?

This may be a bizarre objection, given that George W. Bush frequently looks like David Brent as President, but the view that failure isn't funny is the likeliest reason for the failure of The Office: An American Workplace."

horrible generalizations there.  i'm american and i don't watch most sitcoms because they fucking BLOW.  wouldn't that mean that i would hate the office because it's not about "winners"?  what about seinfeld?  wasn't george pretty much a failure?  i'd classify the simpsons as losers and the same with roseanne and countless other american sitcom families?  who the fuck wrote that article!?  they should be fired.

cine

hey lamas, did a car drive over a puddle and splash you? let's talk about this....

lamas

cine

I just finished watching the Christmas Special (downloaded it).

*spoilers*

... I cried at the end. There I said it.

Gamblour.

Quote from: CinephileI just finished watching the Christmas Special (downloaded it).

*spoilers*

... I cried at the end. There I said it.

I cried like a fucking baby when I saw the last episode. That show is something utterly unique and moving.
SPOILER

When Brent tells Finch to fuck off, that's what got me bawling, the fact that David really, truly liked that girl so much...it made me feel so fucking happy.
WWPTAD?