Lars Von Trier

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 10:41:39 PM

rustinglass

I saw it some years ago, it's great. It sits up there with the best when it comes to horror films. There are many dvd editions out there, both regions, you just have to look.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Dogville Confessions.

if anyone has the chance to see this documentary,  see it right away. Not only it's brilliantly shot and edited , but it gives you a decent insight to what working with Lars Trier might be, without gloryfing him. There is a bit, where Ben Gazara (probably the most pissed-off actor in the set) is in the confession booth and  he mimmicks a traditional Catholic confession and then says something like "Blessed me father , for I have sinned. I haven't had a confession since 5 years  but I promise this is the last time I'll work with an insane director".
context, context, context.

SoNowThen

Anybody know if/when Epidemic and Zentropa will be on dvd?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Quote from: chuckhimselfoDogville Confessions.

Man, this sounds great! Is it an extra on the DVD? I didn't have a chance to watch anything but the movie when I rented it, and the menus were all in a different language, so I couldn't tell what anything was. I need to learn a new language or to. But anyway, this is a making-of doc that I MUST see. What's the interaction with Nicole like?

molly

Quote from: SoNowThenAnybody know if/when Epidemic and Zentropa will be on dvd?

for a while i thought Zentropa is a horror. It had such dark atmosphere and so suggestive. With von Trier's films i have love/hate relationship - i love them because they are so good, but i hate them because they are so depressing.

rustinglass

"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

SoNowThen

good show

but it looks as though Zentropa/Europa is out of print...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

rustinglass

-Emir Kusturica

SoNowThen

fucking rock!!!

thanks, man.

phil marlowe

i recently bought the dogville dvd(wich is KICKASS by the way - over three hours of extras) and i'm now convinced that this movie is a masterpiece.

element of crime will most likely be next dvd i'll buy, i love it so much.

Quote from: phil marlowei recently bought the dogville dvd(wich is KICKASS by the way - over three hours of extras) and i'm now convinced that this movie is a masterpiece.

element of crime will most likely be next dvd i'll buy, i love it so much.

agreed.  the special french version of Dogville is one of the most perfect DVD's ever.
context, context, context.

Stefen

is the element of crime criterion dvd very bare bones aside from the transfer? I love this movie and was thinking about getting it, but I already have a worn out vhs copy that suits me fine if the dvd release is just the movie with a great transfer.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

kotte

Do you know how he write? Maybe from an article or something.

Does he write in danish and get translated or does he write in english?

He never travels so I guess his english isn't the best.

I'm not very Von Tried literate...

Ghostboy

Nah, he speaks perfect English.

kotte

Quote from: GhostboyNah, he speaks perfect English.

Okay...

know how? English speaking parents? A studied like a motherfucker?

I'm curious since we two things in common: Scandinavians and wanting to script in english.