Author Topic: Lars Von Trier  (Read 56710 times)

wilder

• Respect: +1489
Re: Lars Von Trier
« Reply #330 on: May 13, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »
Lars Von Trier Writing Detroit-Set Horror Movie Plus Watch 7-Minute Featurette About Restoration Of His Early Films
via The Playlist

According to Danish filmmaker Kristian Levring (whose "The Salvation" starring Mads Mikkelsen is premiering at Cannes), who worked as a script consultant on "Antichrist," von Trier is going horror. "I've always thought that Lars would be able to do a fantastic horror movie," he told Soundvenue (via Indiewire). "And I’ve told him so many times throughout the years, and in the end he said: 'I want you to stop talking about it, so I’ll write it for you instead.' "

"It takes place in Detroit, and then there is the wordplay between Detroit and 'destroyed,' " Levring added, noting that von Trier has started writing the script. "It’s about a man fighting his inner demons. That doesn’t tell that much, but that’s because we haven’t gotten any further so far." He added "....it’s real horror. Of course, there is a psychological aspect, but it’s a real horror movie. That’s what we’re aiming for, at least."

So yes, that sounds pretty promising even if it's all in very early stages (the working title is "Detroit" which is likely to change). Of course, von Trier has gone down the path of the supernatural before, most notably with the Danish series "The Kingdom." But don't get too excited about von Trier shooting the movie in America. Even though he has set previous films like "Dogville" and "Manderlay" between U.S. borders, the director's fear of flying will likely find him using a workaround for whatever he's cooking up (though if there's anyone we'd love anyone to shoot the decaying city on location, it would be von Trier).

And speaking of "The Kingdom," it's one of a handful of early works by von Trier that are getting digitally restored. Production company Zentropa has released a seven-minute featurette diving into the lengthy process of scanning the original film strips and re-editing the movies from scratch in order to preserve the director's projects (trivia: "The Kingdom" was recorded on DigiBeta, a now defunct format). Check out the video below and pray those folks doing the work get upgraded to an office with windows.

MacGuffin

• Admin
  • Respect: +636
« Reply #331 on: May 19, 2014, 02:32:27 PM »
+1
Lars von Trier to Direct an Action Film?
Source: IndieWire

With Danish director Kristian Levering stating last week that fellow Dane Lars von Trier is writing a Detroit-set horror film for Levering to direct, more and more hints are being dropped about the filmmaker's other upcoming projects. After a brief, non-speaking appearance at the Berlin Film Festival's "Nymphomaniac" press conference, its director von Trier has vowed not to discuss his plans with the media, and has actually stuck with his word.

Veteran producer Peter Aalbaek Jensen recently told Screen Daily that von Trier is planning on moving into yet another genre: action. With brief flashes of action in his horror and disaster in previous efforts such as "The Kingdom," "Antichrist" and "Melancholia," it seems somehow fitting that the famed auteur would move full throttle into the action genre.

Lars von Trier's films have always flirted on the fringes or morphed genre, most clearly in "Melancholia," which actually divides itself into two parts to justify the jump from melodrama to apocalypse. Jensen said of the director's intentions, "He is talking about making a Trier version of an action movie." At this point, it can only be speculated about what exactly he would do with a "Trier version of an action movie," but be prepared, as always, for his distinctive flavor.
“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

wilder

« Reply #332 on: May 27, 2014, 02:14:22 PM »
Lars Von Trier’s Director’s Cut Of ‘Nymphomaniac Vol 2’ Will Premiere At The Toronto International Film Festival
via The Playlist

With news arriving recently that Lars von Trier is writing a Detroit-set horror film and contemplating an action movie, he's not quite finished with "Nymphomaniac." Yes, the film has been released, but the director's cut is still brewing. He showed off Volume 1 of his vision at the Berlin Film Festival in February, and while we thought he might bring ‘Volume 2’ to Cannes, it looks like it will instead be crossing the ocean.

Montages reports that Zentropa will be premiering "Nymphomaniac Volume 2" at the Toronto International Film Festival this fall (consider this the first confirmed film for the fest). And you'll want to have a seat for this one. This version reportedly runs one hour longer than the theatrical cut, bringing the running time to over three hours (both director's cuts combined total just under five and a half hours).

wilder

« Reply #333 on: July 07, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »

Axolotl

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Respect: +300
« Reply #334 on: September 01, 2014, 09:36:58 AM »
+1
Doing tv again.
English language, shooting in 2016.

Called The House that Jack Built

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #335 on: November 29, 2014, 02:03:25 PM »
+1
Sober von Trier fears he's finished
After three years of silence, Lars von Trier has finally decided to go back on record to say that almost all of his films have been written on a high of alcohol and drugs. Now sober, the director doubts that he can create anything of value.
The manuscript for his ‘Dogville’ film was written during a 12-day high. His latest film ‘Nymphomaniac’ is the only one that has been written while sober – and it took him 18 months.

http://politiken.dk/kultur/filmogtv/ECE2469149/sober-von-trier-fears-hes-finished/
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

Tictacbk

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +175
« Reply #336 on: November 30, 2014, 01:28:14 PM »
Lars Von Trier says a lot of stupid shit.  This falls into that category.

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
  • Respect: +1256
« Reply #337 on: November 30, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »
+1
his tendency to be self-critical in an exaggerated way is similar to this clickhole article and i continue to relate to him as a human being on a quest of like personal understanding thinger
"I must whisper it to you—not because Im ashamed but because it is so Dear to me that I must keep it close to me by whispering—"

KJ

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #338 on: October 15, 2016, 04:35:21 PM »
+1
USA in the 1970s. We follow the highly intelligent Jack over a span of 12 years and are introduced to the murders that define Jack's development as a serial killer. We experience the story from Jack's point of view, while he postulates each murder is an artwork in itself. As the inevitable police intervention is drawing nearer, he is taking greater and greater risks in his attempt to create the ultimate artwork. Along the way we experience Jack's descriptions of his personal condition, problems and thoughts through a recurring conversation with the unknown Verge - a grotesque mixture of sophistry mixed with an almost childlike self-pity and psychopathic explanations. The House That Jack Built is a dark and sinister story, yet presented through a philosophical and occasional humorous tale.

KJ

• The Magic Flight
  • Respect: +156
« Reply #339 on: October 15, 2016, 04:36:34 PM »
oh, and it's a film now

DMCA & Copyright | Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy