Lars Von Trier

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 10:41:39 PM

ono

I've seen both Breaking the Waves and Dancer in the Dark.  Dancer in the Dark is a masterpiece, really.  So surreal, so beautiful and tragic.  Can't wait for Dogville, or the chance to see some of his older stuff.

What I'm curious about, though, is stuff I've read about his ego.  I've seen one quote where Trier says that he is the best working filmmaker.  I don't know if there's any truth to him saying it, but I'd love to see any articles where he's allowed to chance to talk about/like that in any capacity.

abbey road

on the dogma 95, i think now-a-days theres so many crappy movies that have no ideas or creativity but still have cool camera work and lighting that poeple confuse genuine art and posing crap. i think its cool to see people like lars von trier throwing away the old definetion of whats cool and arty and proving that u dont need fake astetics to make a truly good movie (like breaking the waves or dogville). i dont think the dogma thing is right for all movies, but i think nowadays people force a certain style just to fit in, and thats what the dogmas trying to stop. buti do agreethat there ar no rules to film, andthat every fil one makes should be looked at seperate from every other- but the all hand held all natural lghting thingreally appeals to me- its very gritty and real- theyre not compared alot but its just the same as th look of traffic or amores perros. no one should be self proclaimed anything, but at leaste von trier has the goods to partially back it up.
thanx
"we'll meet again in a life when we are both cats"
"you are what you love, not what loves you"
"I don't think your an asshole Royal, I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch"
"royal with cheese"
"i'm sure you have no idea what i'm talking about...but don't worry...you will someday"

Gold Trumpet

Abbey Road,
Being critical of current trends in stylistic filmmaking and accepting of the dogme esque approach just replacing one color coding for another? You admit there are no rules to cinema, but still favor that one approach. Isn't it just mere replacement of how you make films? I see no gurantees of talent in any of them and I've been especially critical of Von Triers work in the late 90s that went for dogme.

~rougerum

Teen Wolf

Von Trier called Roman Polanski a "midget" in front of everybody at Cannes one year because the jury of which Polanski was a part didn't award his film the highest honor.

rustinglass

I kinda agree with that. Don't get me wrong, I love Barton Fink, but still... Europa is so so good... I was really blown away when I saw it. I think it deserved the Palme D'or that year.
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Gold Trumpet

You may think Europa is better, but to stand up there and call Polanski a midget because you disagree with him is another thing. I'm fine with criticizing/bashing his films, but too much speculation on how arrogant/genius he is to say anything personal about the guy. That incident was just stupid though.

~rougerum

MacGuffin

Casting Notes Out for a New Grace in Von Trier's "Manderlay"  

After gradually downgrading her involvement in the next chapter of director Lars Von Trier's "USA– Land of Opportunities" trilogy over the course of 5 months, Nicole Kidman is officially out of "Manderlay." To no Variety reader's surprise, the second part of the trilogy (the first was "Dogville," which was nominated for a Palm D'or at Cannes) is now looking for a new actress to play Grace, the role that Kidman originated in the first film, according to casting notices that FilmJerk.com has obtained.

In May at Cannes, Kidman said during a press conference there was no doubt she would star in his next picture, saying, "Lars, I'm going to star in your pictures, no matter what it will cost." In September, it was a slightly different tune, as she was quoted as saying "I would love to do it, but I need some time off first and he wants to film it during that time." Less than two weeks later, word came that she officially ankled the project and Von Trier saying that he is willing to use a different actress in the role for each of the two next films. And now comes the point of no return (we think), as auditions are currently being scheduled for the role with both A-listers and unknowns in the running.

Grace is described in the casting notes, which are sent to agents of actresses, as "vulnerable, lovely, strong, innocent (on the sexual level) and having a twinkle in her eye." The charismatic role is listed as being between the age of 25 and 35, with no hint that they are looking for someone who resembles Kidman.

Filming in Copenhagen, Denmark, the production will start filming at the beginning of March for a ten-week shoot.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

chinaski40

I guess when Ingmar Bergman calls you a genius and the greatest filmmaker of his generation, then you tend to get a big head.
Maybe he's just trying to get attention to his films and to get people to actually start watching them, although, it's probably the wrong way.  And there are worse names he could have called Polanski than a midget.  I won't name them, because we all know his past.

Gold Trumpet

I always found it weird that Ingmar Bergman gave Von Trier such praise because in an article I posted here sometime ago, Bergman was criticizing the entire Dogme 95 movement as a gimmick only. Now I know Von Trier wasn't specifically making Dogme films for his last two films, but he was using much of the same basis and practice that the only way to distinguish would be to bring in an expert and ask for all the fine print. To me, they feel very much Dogme 95.

~rougerum

pookiethecat

best dogme 95 movie: mifune.
i wanna lick 'em.

rustinglass

Quote from: pookiethecatbest dogme 95 movie: mifune.

Didn't see that one, but I'd say Festen.
As for the worst dogme film I saw: fuckland
"In Serbia a lot of people hate me because they want to westernise, not understanding that the western world is bipolar, with very good things and very bad things. Since they don't have experience of the west, they even believe that western shit is pie."
-Emir Kusturica

Cecil

Quote from: rustinglassfuckland

population?

rustinglass

Sometimes there is a bad film and I think that the idea was good but the result was bad because the director is an asshole or because he's good but had no working conditions. I kind of think the opposit about fuckland: It's such a bad premise that kubrick wouldn't make a good film out of it if he had all the money in the world.

Anyway... an argentino man goes to the falkland islands with a small camera to perform his patriotic duty and have sex with an english woman so that argentina can get the islands back by blood.
-Emir Kusturica

Sanjuro

i thought dogville was good but not great
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Weak2ndAct

I just read the script for 'Dear Wendy,' which is shooting now.  It stars Jaime Bell and some chick I've never heard of (Alison Pill I believe is her name?).  LVT wrote it, but turned over directing duties to Thomas Vinterberg to he could finish the USA trilogy.
Basically-- Dear Wendy is LVT's 'love letter' to the US regarding gun control, and kids shooting adults.  It's pretty absurd... and strangely wonderful.  Basic premise: a 17 year old w/ no family falls in love w/ a gun, becomes empowered by it, then encourages the other outsiders in his small town to join him.  They all pack heat and create a child-like club-- built on studying guns and the damage they inflict.  They make a pact to never use their guns.  And once a new member enters the group, everything changes...
The whole thing is scored to music by The Zombies, and has an incredibly shocking climax.  This guy knows how to provoke audiences.  People will be talking about this one in a year or two.