Lars Von Trier

Started by Adam0199, March 19, 2003, 10:41:39 PM

Jeremy Blackman

This article with the ADL's perspective is definitely more ignorant than the joke, to the point of hilarity. It pretty much suggests that the pressures of filmmaking must be causing his life to fall apart in some kind downward spiral that is specifically anti-Semitic in nature.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Jeremy Blackman

Meh, that article just says that it's not provocative. I'm okay with that.

matt35mm

Oh, right, yeah, the movie!

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: modage on May 18, 2011, 01:12:41 PM
Ha, I'll wait for Haneke's movie.

How is this a response to KarlJan's linked review and what is it supposed to mean?  How is Haneke's movie related to Von Trier's movie?
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Stefen

LVT's flicks are always polarizing. Didn't Antichrist get the first anti-award from Cannes?

But now it's considered a masterpiece.

Or an affront to all that is decent in cinema.

I really can't tell.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on May 18, 2011, 01:17:56 PM

How is this a response to KarlJan's linked review and what is it supposed to mean?  How is Haneke's movie related to Von Trier's movie?

It's a response because I don't trust the "A" grade. And I think that Haneke has a little more going for him as a provacateur than Von Trier.

children with angels

Has everyone seen the video of the press conference? http://www.festival-cannes.com/en/mediaPlayer/11391.html

It's so clear that he was just trying to make a very dark and provocative point (of questionable merit) about sympathising with evil, realised he was making a hash of it, then tried to diffuse it with a joke about how he knew his words would be spun ("Okay, fine, yes: I'm a Nazi - that's how you're all going to write it up anyway..."). If you haven't already, it's worth checking out the video for Dunst's hilarious awkward reactions alone. The question that kicks it off comes at 34:30.

While the mics are still running after the the conference has ended you hear Dunst saying "Oh, Lars... That was intense." To which he replies, "Oh, come ooon..." I concur.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Jeremy Blackman

I'm definitely watching this when I get home.

for petes sake

Does he have "FUCK" tattooed on his knuckles?

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: modage on May 18, 2011, 01:34:43 PM
Quote from: Merrill Errol Lehrl on May 18, 2011, 01:17:56 PM

How is this a response to KarlJan's linked review and what is it supposed to mean?  How is Haneke's movie related to Von Trier's movie?

It's a response because I don't trust the "A" grade. And I think that Haneke has a little more going for him as a provacateur than Von Trier.

So, are you more concerned about which will be the better movie and receive a better grade, or what your personal experience will be while watching the movies?  Like with Malick, I find curious the investments you make in other people's receptions and opinions, especially when expressed with surrogate authority.  That's the mindset of studio bigwigs, isn't it?  Relying on response cards.  Are you excited about what people will say about the movie, or what you yourself will think and feel while watching the movie?
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Pas

Quote from: for petes sake on May 18, 2011, 04:23:36 PM
Does he have "FUCK" tattooed on his knuckles?

I thought it was ajoke and then it was true, he does.

BTW after having seeing it, NOT SO sure it's as big of a ''joke'' we thought it was. I mean the ''Im nazi'' part and so forth was a joke but not the initial part.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

http://www.filmlinc.com/blog/entry/cannes-podcast-karina-kohn-talk-about-the-fest

Two critics/nerds talk about Cannes for the Film Society of Lincoln Center.  The beginning is all about Melancholia and Tree of Life.

BTW both critics say fuck is 'written' on LVT's hand.